Chp 4: Savant

Vincit Qui Se Vincit

--

Months pass since the fight between the two boys, but Jongdae’s driving spirit doesn’t. He insists on trying to see Baekhyun at least once per week. He succeeds, but most of the times he only gets Baekhyun’s attention when he’s kicking at the guards taking him away. Baekhyun’s new dorm is highly guarded and he personally has a Jedi or a droid with him at all times. But that doesn’t stop Jongdae from trying.

After weeks of failed attempts to talk to Baekhyun, Jongdae thinks he finally has a perfect plan. Baekhyun’s schedule is done exceptionally well. He does things the exact same every week, as if this regimen will enforce order within him. This bodes well for Jongdae, because he can plan where Baekhyun’s exact locations will be.

The young Padawan walks through the hall after he completes his training. He knows that Baekhyun and a group of escorts will take him to the training room in approximately two minutes through the corridors that Jongdae is headed toward. He smiles to himself. All this planning is surely not going to his head.

Jongdae sees a group rounding the corner, and amongst them is the tiny Baekhyun, face dipped into seriousness. Jongdae begins his execution by walking the opposite direction of them. He smiles and greets the Jedi in front of Baekhyun, “Good morning, Master.”

The Master politely nods to the irresistibly cute Padawan, stopping the morning commute a little. Jongdae smiles wider, knowing his plan was working, and greets the confused Baekhyun, “Hi Baekhyun! How are you this morning?”

Baekhyun is suddenly out of his routine, his eyes wide and confused at Jongdae’s sudden appearance. Baekhyun hesitantly speaks, “Okay. And you?”

“Well, I feel a little ill. I think I’ll be at the rest room for a while to see if the illness passes.” Jongdae then smiles at Baekhyun, hoping the other would get the message. Quickly, he sees the Jedi click his tongue in disapproval.

“Let’s go, Baekhyun. We have a schedule to keep,” the Jedi informs the youngling, making sure he moves down the corridor. Baekhyun obeys, keeping his head forward as he walks without a goodbye to Jongdae. As they walk down the corridor, almost toward the bend, Jongdae sees Baekhyun turn his head around to Jongdae’s way. Jongdae can see a little smile grow on his face, and Jongdae knows that his plan just might work.

Jongdae might not have thought out his plan thoroughly though. He has to hide in the nearest bathroom to the training facility, which means a lot of patience and false alarms. He hides inside the vents until he can hear the sound of Baekhyun’s steps and his whisper. He hopes the other would get his message.

Jongdae feels Baekhyun is being treated badly. He is just a young boy searching for a purpose in life, and the Jedi way is the only viable option for him. The Order speaks about him as if he is a forsaken evil, but Jongdae just can’t seem to think about Baekhyun that way. He is a troubled boy, and he definitely did not trust a lot of people. But Jongdae can feel Baekhyun’s heart and how it aches to be good, despite his actions. Jongdae wants to help Baekhyun, but it’s hard when he’s guarded all the time.

The Padawan hears a faint knocking on the door, and a slow opening of the door. The lights flicker on and a quiet voice calls out, “Jongdae, are you here?”

Jongdae grins as he scrambles from his position in the air vents and pokes his head from the duct. He can hear Baekhyun gasp as the door closes behind him and Jongdae suddenly appears from the ceiling upside down, ducking his head out of the vent. Jongdae grins, “Hi.”

“You were up here this whole time?” Baekhyun questions as Jongdae squishes his body from the vent and drops down to the tiled floor. Jongdae brushes off his front and back before locking the door behind Baekhyun.

“Of course,” Jongdae beams. Baekhyun flushes slightly and turns away.

“You couldn’t have picked a better place than the rest room?” Baekhyun is facing away from Jongdae, but the teasing tone in his voice made Jongdae feel especially happy. In Jongdae’s attempts to “steal” Baekhyun away, the other had recognized his valiant efforts and slowly trusted Jongdae’s crazy idea’s. Jongdae is just happy the other is willing to come to him.

“I didn’t think through it, but we’re here and that’s all that matters,” Jongdae hopes his smile will make up for the fact that they only probably have a couple more minutes together before his guards come looking for him. “You look like you’re adjusting okay to the routine.”

“The training is not too difficult. Master Bali says that I’ve been improving,” Baekhyun nods confidently. Jongdae can tell. Baekhyun’s posture is not slumped anymore, and he seems a lot less sad or frightened when up for training. “Studying is the hard part.”

“Yeah, it can be difficult. I wish they would let me help you study,” Jongdae says a little solemnly. He’s the one of the top scholars of his class and more than willing to help a struggling youngling. He’s even brought it before the Council, but they refused since Baekhyun’s been getting the best tutoring from the instructor. But, obviously, Baekhyun needs more than just a repeat performance of the classes.

“I’ll suggest it to Master Pho again,” Baekhyun adds hopefully, and Jongdae nods along. There’s a sudden knocking on the door that makes both of them jump.

“Baekhyun, are you in there?”

It’s one of the Jedi’s that guards Baekhyun, and Baekhyun simply sighs in the revelation. Baekhyun calls out, “Yes. One minute, please.”

Baekhyun looks back to Jongdae with disappointment in his eyes. He shrugs, “I guess this is where we have to part.”

Baekhyun reaches out to Jongdae’s body and tugs at him. Jongdae is suddenly pulled into Baekhyun’s embrace, arms wrapping themselves along Jongdae’s core. It’s warm and gentle, and something Jongdae has tried to practice with Baekhyun. He was reluctant at first attempts, but he’s pleasantly surprised that the tradition survived. It’s not a bad one to have, Jongdae hums.

“We’ll have to try again some other time,” Jongdae suggests as Baekhyun ends the hug and heads for the door.

“Not the rest room though,” Baekhyun grins.

“I’ll try,” Jongdae wants to laugh, but he’ll blow his cover. As Baekhyun is leaving, he gives this grandiose smile that makes Jongdae feel all warm inside. He’s come to like Baekhyun’s rarities, like the little blips of his personality. He likes Baekhyun’s smile, and his determined face, and all the other mysteries that have yet to be solved.

“Until next time.”

-

Jongdae found himself studying on the second floor of the library once again. He’s brushing up on the battles during the Clone Wars and is delving deep into the history of the Great Generals of the time. He has tons of encyclopedias stacked on his table with written documents as well as several e-texts with valuable information.

The Clone Wars had ruthless battles that changed the face of the Jedi forever. Before the many wars of the Galaxy, the Jedi were thought to be a peaceful group called upon for wisdom and guidance, not violence. However, as times grew tough and the Jedi were recognized for their fighting abilities, the Jedi could no longer stay out of war.

The Clone Wars were also part of the biggest event of espionage and the Dark Side at work within the Republic’s system. Through this history, the universe was changed forever. This is why there are thorough background checks and a high security system even within the Government. History had told them that no one could be trusted. 

Jongdae is sitting by himself on the second floor with everyone else on the other floors. He feels at peace when there isn’t a crowd studying with him. He can spread his books to wherever he needs, and there are no distractions except his own mind.

He finds himself lost in the world of the Clone Wars and follows each of the Generals strategies of specific battles. Jongdae is most interested in General Obi-Wan Kenobi’s travels to Mandalore. With his nose deep in the journal log, Jongdae doesn’t notice the approaching company.

A clearing of a throat snaps Jongdae out of the story and throws him back into the present. Before him stands the tall Cerean Master with young Baekhyun by his side. Baekhyun looks a little apprehensive to the situation, but the Cerean Master has a gentle press against his back.

“Hello, Master Rishi,” Jongdae acknowledges him with the tilt of his head. He then lets his gaze fall innocently to Baekhyun. “And to you, Baekhyun.”

“Good morning, Padawan,” Master Rishi says smoothly. He’s one of the instructors of the younglings, and one of Jongdae’s favorites. He really loves the history of the Jedi Order, the good and the bad. He taught Jongdae that there was always something to be learned from history. “Are you busy? I need a favor from you.”

Master Rishi eyes the stack of books across Jongdae’s table, and the boy flushes. He rushes with embarrassment on his cheeks, “Ah, no Master. I’ve just taken interest in some battle strategies from previous Wars. But nothing too serious.”

“Quite the interest, I presume? You’re not even the age to be studying battle strategies yet,” the Master chuckles at Jongdae’s spread. He places his hands on Baekhyun’s shoulders, and the boy seems to stand a little straighter. “I’m sure you’re well acquainted with youngling Baekhyun.”

Jongdae nods and feels a grin tug at his lips when Baekhyun blatantly avoids his gaze. The Master doesn’t try to understand their little game. “I think Baekhyun would do well if he had some extra help.”

“And you think that I can help, Master? I’m just a Padawan.” Jongdae knows the argument is weak when he breaks into a smile.

“Don’t sell yourself short, Jongdae. You and I both know you’re quite the up and coming scholar,” Master Rishi smiles tightly, patting Baekhyun’s shoulders. “Can you handle it for Baekhyun’s trials?”

“I believe so,” Jongdae accepts, clearing a little bit of the table for Baekhyun’s entrance. Master Rishi pats Baekhyun goodbye, and sends him to the hands of Jongdae. For a little bit, Baekhyun stands at the table, unsure of what to do. He’s hovered over the book that Jongdae has been reading, his eyes scanning a few bits of it before humming in content.

“We’re reunited,” Jongdae says proudly as he sits across the youngling. Baekhyun can’t help but match the enticing grin on Jongdae’s face.

“I’m pretty good at convincing,” Baekhyun shrugs with a smug look. He swipes one of his long fingers along the books that Jongdae stacked and wiped the excess dust off.

“Alright then. Where are you starting?” Jongdae asks nicely, running his fingers over the spine of the dusty book. Their fingers jam onto the same book accidentally, and they laugh awkwardly at it.

Baekhyun lets the chuckle die in his throat, and then clears it, “Master Rishi and I left off at the events after the fall of The First Order.”

“Ah, we don’t overlap then,” Jongdae purses his lips slightly, but shrugs it off immediately. He pushes himself from the table and heads toward the rows of historical retellings. Baekhyun follows him a beat off of Jongdae’s, tailing him closely. Jongdae squints at the titles, scanning closely, “Let’s see. It should start around here.”

Jongdae picks up a dusty book that he hasn’t used in about a years’ time. Now, most Padawans use the digitally scanned books from the e-texts, but when Jongdae is leisurely reading and wants to absorb the information, a book helps physically touch the history. There’s something absolutely calming about the way Jongdae fingers the pages, lightly glossing over a sentence as he rereads it and it echoes in his mind. E-texts are helpful for research or quick lookups, but books are where the absorption of the history plays well.

Jongdae skims a few texts before he’s satisfied with three encyclopedias and a couple journals cradled in his arms. Baekhyun looks a little anxiously at the texts, but Jongdae reassures him with a sweet smile. Jongdae carefully maneuvers around back to the table and places the older books onto it with a careful plop. Baekhyun eyes them curiously. “Are you sure I’ll need to read all of this?”

Jongdae blinks and states dryly, “Of course. You’ve only started the fall of the First Order. That was before my grandfather was even born. But just ask me if you need any help.”

Baekhyun literally slumps his body down onto the table face first, groaning loudly. Jongdae giggles, and pats Baekhyun’s locks. The other boy looks up from the table with an obvious pout, but Jongdae continues to ignore it and picks up his own book with a smile. Baekhyun’s whining finally simmers at some point, and the two fell into a comfortable silence.

Jongdae tries his hardest to concentrate on his individual readings, but he feels a disturbance in the Force. It is a faint, little warning in the back of Jongdae’s senses, but it isn’t strong enough to be threatening. It is a little distracting for Jongdae, but he swallows his annoyance in his throat and continues reading at his leisure.

It must have been hours before Jongdae finally hears Baekhyun’s soft, irritated whine. Jongdae finishes his sentence before he glances down to Baekhyun’s body slumped against the expanse of the table. Jongdae sets his book down on its pages to hold his last line. He stares at the dark brown locks of hair strewed against the wooden table top. Each piece is shiny and smooth, like silk strands. Jongdae’s child curiosity stirs him to believe if he touches it, it would feel exactly like Senator’s robes.

Baekhyun looks peaceful stretched out across the table with his cheek pressed hard onto its top. Jongdae would have let him stay like that if it had not been for the creaking steps behind him that set Jongdae’s alarm off anxiously. Jongdae quickly leans over the table and flicks Baekhyun’s forehead. The latter groans at the uncalled for pain and gives a hurt glare towards Jongdae’s direction. His sleepy eyes don’t quite express the glare well, instead it looks cuter than anything.

Behind Jongdae comes in a group of Jedi Knights climbing the stairs with a scholar who is searching for a text. The Jedi pays no attention to the studying boys and quietly passes. Jongdae is glad that he wakes the other boy, otherwise the scholar might revoke their privileges for using the library to sleep.

“What time is it?” Baekhyun asks groggily. From Jongdae’s perspective, the other had finished at least one encyclopedia and started the second before whining. Jongdae hums. He supposes it is a good effort on Baekhyun’s part. “Lunch break?”

Jongdae lets out an airy laugh in genuine surprise, “It’s a little early for it, but I suppose it would be good to take a break.”

Jongdae and Baekhyun lift themselves from their seats and stretch out their limbs from their positions from the last hours. Baekhyun lets out a tired yawn, clamping his mouth down to stop from continuing another. They walk side by side at Baekhyun’s pace, since the boy is dragging and can barely keep his head up. Jongdae encourages him to walk out his sleepiness by placing a careful hand on his back to push him off balance and wake him.

“How far along have you gotten?” Jongdae asks as they pass by a Jedi and Padawan. Baekhyun blinks his eyes open to wake himself up a little more.

“Only until the uprising on Vendaxa,” Baekhyun yawns again, pressing his body closer to Jongdae’s as his sleepy body sways. Jongdae slowly peels the sleeping boy off of his shoulder.

“That’s not too far away from the Government’s Declaration of War,” Jongdae muses. “You’re doing well.”

Baekhyun hums with a drowsy smile. Jongdae definitely likes that Baekhyun is finally warming up to him because his smile isn’t hard to love.

“What have you been reading?”

They reach a long corridor where they can just walk casually without bumping into other people. Jongdae slows his pace to match Baekhyun’s drooping one. His shoes scuff the tile floor.

“The Clone Wars mostly. I was interested in learning about certain strategies on the battlefield, even though I won’t have to learn about it until another couple of years when I train to be a General,” Jongdae can see Baekhyun’s look of awe at Jongdae’s confidence. It’s true, Jongdae really wants to be a General, even though many say he has the brains of a scholar. They seem to make a difference in the War when it came to actually capturing the criminals. Jongdae hopes that he can be as strong as any of the other previous Jedi Generals. “I was particularly interested in General Kenobi. His record on the battlefield and with special relations is excellent.”

“I remember reading about Master Obi-Wan,” Baekhyun says shyly, his demeanor turning cautious. “He was the Master of Anakin Skywalker.”

“Yes,” Jongdae says gravely. The history of the Jedi Order is quite compelling. Jongdae is just glad that he didn’t live during those times. “It shows us that anyone, us included, can be swayed by the Dark Side.”

Baekhyun looks like he’s holding his breath, and his tongue, which puts Jongdae off. He doesn’t necessarily comment on it since Baekhyun is always on the edge of trusting anyone. Instead, Jongdae carries on walking in their silence, one secret held between them.

The two boys travel the hallways to the mess hall in a hurry as their stomachs growled. The food on the menu is always nutritious, but not necessarily delectable. At this point in the war, military rations are given out to the growing peacekeepers.

Baekhyun stands on his tip toes and leans onto the protective glassware. He grins through it when he sees a head cook steadily working on the trays. Jongdae watches passively, arms crossing to watch Baekhyun’s theatrics.

“Gunther! Good afternoon to you,” Baekhyun beams brightly, much more upbeat than he was in the library. The Besalisk chef grumbles a hello, his wide mouth turning into a smirk. Baekhyun gives him a cheeky grin of his own, “Got any special treats for your favorite youngling?”

Gunther huffs a laugh while he piles a goop of soup onto a tray and leaves it for the assembly line, “If I had a coin every time I heard that one.”

Please,” Baekhyun begs cutely, even going as far as to jump up and pout so the Besalisk could see. The chef rolls his eyes but pauses his work to give Baekhyun a thick pointed finger to wait. The chef enters the back. Baekhyun exclaims in victory, “And one for my Padawan friend!”

“Wow. Looks like you’ve made friends in the right places,” Jongdae says, slightly impressed. Baekhyun turns with a haughty smirk while he leans against the counter.

“When you want to get ahead, it’s better to have friends along the way,” Baekhyun shrugs, turning back when the chef calls his name. Instantly what comes into view are these protein ration bars, only given to Jedi Knights on special long range mission. They are better quality food than the slop that comes from the Governments military rations. Along with the protein bars comes fresh looking bread loaves that the Besalisk places onto the upcoming trays. Jongdae swears his mouth salivates with happiness at the sight.

“We just made these breads this morning,” the chef explains while he scoops more soup. “We just had a couple extra in the back.”

“That’s why you’re my favorite,” Baekhyun grins as he takes his tray. “I’ll make sure to come by later to help.”

Jongdae is absolutely astonished, but he remembers to thank the chef generously. He’s never seen a youngling get away with such favoritism, but Baekhyun is definitely a sweet talker once his personality shines through. He can feel a proud grin on his face when they finally take their seats and happily gorge on their bread.

“Really, this is quite amazing,” Jongdae eats his bread at lightning speed. “You’ve never been caught?”

“It’s not stealing,” Baekhyun mumbles, eyes trained to his meal. Jongdae senses a misunderstanding between them, but it dissipates quickly when Baekhyun brings an upbeat smile. “It’s just an exchange of favors.”

Jongdae perks up an eyebrow, “What are you doing that’s worth fresh bread?”

Baekhyun gets this look in his eye. It’s one that Jongdae, a fresh young boy, cannot pinpoint. It’s mysterious and clouded with a mix of emotions. Like a cool, collected swiftness and a fiery hot defiance all combined. He’s chewing around the bread and avoids the answer.

-

Baekhyun looks a little livelier. His sleepiness wore off and he practically has a bounce in his step. The two lively boys bounce their way up the stairs to the second floor of the library. As soon as Baekhyun reaches the top step, however, he stops in his tracks. Jongdae only notices when he bumps into his figure. It is only until Jongdae pokes him in the back that Baekhyun quickly squeaks and runs down the stairs in fright.

Jongdae can see the guilty stare Baekhyun possesses, and he can’t help but feel like he is dealing with a toddler. Patience is his gift though, and he’s used it. Jongdae approaches Baekhyun carefully, and wraps an arm around his shoulders. Gently, he dips his head to make eye contact with the nervous boy, “Baekhyun. What’s wrong?”

Baekhyun’s curls up with his chin in his chest and eyes glued to the floor, as he usually is when he’s awfully nervous. Once he has eye contact though, Jongdae can see Baekhyun’s eyes wavering in thought. His whisper finally spills from his lips, “Your friend is up there.”

It’s awfully vague, Jongdae thinks, as he has to decipher the actual meaning. Jongdae rubs Baekhyun’s shoulder soothingly, “What friend?”

Baekhyun swallows, “The one I hurt.”

If it didn’t smack Jongdae in the face, he’d be thoroughly dumb. Jongdae wants to laugh at the absurdity, but immediately throws that thought away. Instead, he smiles sympathetically, “Kyungsoo? Are you avoiding him?”

Baekhyun timidly nods. His eyes try desperately to dart away, “He hates me. I just don’t want to cause further problems.”

Jongdae almost snorts a laugh, because really, this is a simple fix. Unfortunately, nine-year-olds are not as savvy as to face the problem. “How do you know he hates you?”

Baekhyun increasingly curls more into a ball, “I don’t know. I’ve just been avoiding him since.”

“That was almost a year ago,” Jongdae says astonished, and Baekhyun looks like he’s about to fly down the hall in retreat. Jongdae sympathizes with the other, and curls the boy into his embrace for a few seconds of warmth. It’s not much, but the comfort definitely soothes Baekhyun’s shell because he’s letting out clean sighs. Jongdae murmurs, “I think an apology might help. Maybe it will clear the air?”

Baekhyun wants to peel away from Jongdae’s embrace. He does, and looks at Jongdae with sunken eyes, “But I don’t even know him.”

“But I know him,” And Jongdae finally laughs brightly. Honestly, this might have been the most innocent he’s ever seen the Kamar boy. “And I know all his weaknesses too.”

Jongdae slips him a candy bar that he has been saving for his own snack. He knows that most younglings and Padawans enjoy this delicate treat, even the stern faced Kyungsoo. From that, Jongdae can see Baekhyun’s worried face turn slowly. A little smile forms, hesitant and scared, but all there. Jongdae feels a strike of hope surge within him as Baekhyun looks cutely up the library’s stairs. With a shaky breath, Baekhyun nods to continue.

The two reach the spot Kyungsoo has burrowed himself into. He is surrounded by data chips that glow yellow resting on the table. He is nose deep into his device, big eyes scanning the holographic images of ships interiors.

With a little push, Jongdae sets Baekhyun off toward his first mission as a Padawan in training. Baekhyun looks nervous, hands shaking as he approaches. When he reaches the table, he clears his throat slightly, only to embarrassingly choke. Jongdae can only snicker from far away when he can barely see the pink cheeks Baekhyun sports.

Kyungsoo’s eyes flicker up, but his expression is stern and unfazed. Baekhyun slams the candy bar onto the tables surface and lets out a flurry of apologies, “Oh God, please, please, please forgive me. I didn’t mean to kick you in the face! Take the candy bar as a peace offering!”

And in a flash, he flies away from the table and scurries to his own. Jongdae can’t help but slam his forehead into the table and laugh hysterically.

Meanwhile, Kyungsoo curiously looks at the candy bar with inspecting eyes. With a shrug, he peels the wrapper and munches on it in content.

-

Studying between the three of them is completely different. Jongdae is studious and uses every resource he can to become an expert on topics that interest him. He builds a wall of texts around him. Kyungsoo uses more relevant materials to learn a majority of the material. He is quiet and is focused the entire time without any breaks.

Baekhyun is a rough studier. It takes him a while to get into the routine of studying every day. At first, Jongdae finds that Baekhyun took more nap breaks than he did actually reading the material. Jongdae is gentle at reinforcing the importance of breaks and not abusing them, but Baekhyun continues his methodology. It is only until Kyungsoo thwacks him with his device that Baekhyun buckles into his studies and does not abuse his napping breaks.

But the routine settles in after months of studying, and the three quietly resume their scholarly tendencies. Today, Jongdae notices Baekhyun is twitching with agitation. He’s noticed it from glancing above his dusty books, but it isn’t extreme. The boy only sighs with defeat and scribbles down notes. Sometimes he would tap his foot incessantly, but nothing too agitating and noticeable.

Kyungsoo has gone in for the night, leaving the two boys in the library alone. Jongdae pauses from his reading to see Baekhyun’s face twist in concentration. He can’t help but smile warmly.

“How’s the Fall of Jejun going?”

Baekhyun cuts his gaze toward Jongdae and but it’s barely visible above the hard edges of his device. He says shortly, “Fine.”

“So, who is the commanding General on the Rebellion side?”

There’s no malicious intent in the question. Jongdae simply is doing his job as requested by Master Rishi. Baekhyun usually gets the answers right, despite his lack of formal vocabulary. However, the pregnant pause and the irritating growl underneath Baekhyun’s lips comes as a surprise. Jongdae can feel a rush of anxiety overwhelm his senses as Baekhyun places his device down onto the table with shaky fingers.

“I’m tired,” is all the Kamar boy sighs before scraping his chair across the floor and rushing out of the library with eyes shot toward the ground. All Jongdae can do is just let the other go.

-

Baekhyun’s odd behavior in the study rooms is quickly becoming apparent to Jongdae. The other observes the boy more and takes notice of any fluctuations of emotions that he can sense. Jongdae notices the unnerving disturbance in the Force he ignored before has surfaced again when Baekhyun is brooding over a book. He is scribbling writing in his notes before he turns the pages furiously.

Jongdae only catches Baekhyun’s eyes when he speaks up, “Is everything alright?”

Baekhyun’s eyes only briefly cut to Jongdae’s, but it isn’t enough for Jongdae to pick up on. Jongdae can still feel the disturbance and it confuses him when Baekhyun is avoiding his gaze. The young boy’s face screws in frustration at the device he is nose deep in.

Baekhyun simply grunts in response and scribbles more notes into his notepad. Jongdae in his lips, and is about to gently speak, until he hears a boisterous laughter.

“Kyungsoo, you’re not even laughing!” Chanyeol whines as he slides next to Jongdae. Kyungsoo face looks dead flat as he slides in next to Baekhyun. Jongdae has to hold his own laughter in.

“That’s because it wasn’t funny,” Kyungsoo mutters, flipping his pages open. He silently eyes Baekhyun’s notes, but makes no comment. Chanyeol easily slips in with a whine, but lines himself with another smile and beams at his other friends.

“I was looking for you guys all over! I barely caught Kyungsoo out of his training,” Chanyeol laughs. Jongdae briefly glances to see Kyungsoo sigh dejectedly and roll his eyes. “What have you guys been doing all day?”

“Studying,” Jongdae replies simply, eyes trained on the next lines. “I’m reading up on the battles of the Clone Wars and Baekhyun’s studying for his upcoming trials.”

“Those must be terrible! I hate tests,” Chanyeol groans, slinking himself on the table in faux defeat.

“It’s no wonder. You probably don’t study that much if you’re shouting in a library,” Jongdae laughs, smacking his friend gently. “Why don’t we get some books for you? I’m sure they’ll be something interesting for you.”

Jongdae turns the corner away from the politics section. Chanyeol is studying to be a Senator in order to run when he is older. Although Chanyeol can never harness the power of a Jedi, he can always read about their cool powers. And, of course, Chanyeol loves different species of animals. Jongdae is sure he saw the encyclopedia for the rarest pets somewhere.

He fingers through a familiar looking book and snatches it closed once it reveals to be the exact book. He turns back around to see Chanyeol peering through the shelves toward the table. Jongdae enters behind him since the other hasn’t hit a growth spurt yet.

The scene reveals Kyungsoo and Baekhyun diligently studying with few comments between them. Chanyeol sighs at the sight, “Why can’t Kyungsoo talk to me like he talks to you guys? It’s not fair.”

“Well, for starters, we are all training for the same title. It’s almost like a brotherhood,” Jongdae hums quietly. “He also says you’re really annoying.”

“I’m not!” Chanyeol whines, but Jongdae simmers his shout. Jongdae starts giggling at Chanyeol’s frustration. Chanyeol pouts, “It’s not funny.”

“Here,” Jongdae drops the book off into Chanyeol’s arms. He starts walking toward the study table, “And just try to be quiet. We need to study hard today.”

“Fine,” Chanyeol grumbles as he plops into his seat.

Kyungsoo is already working hard on his notes. He is keeping up with Jongdae’s pace when it comes to homework. In fact, he is already working faster on the next chapter where Jongdae lounges out and starts reading leisurely about the Clone Wars.

Chanyeol coos at some animals and writes down names to look them up on the devices. It is kind of endearing. Jongdae isn’t quite sure why Kyungsoo is such a stick in the mud when it came to Chanyeol. He isn’t that bad. Although, his jokes need work.

Baekhyun is working hard too. Jongdae flits his eyes to make sure he isn’t getting frustrated with the work. Through the weeks that they were studying together, he’s never asked Jongdae for further explanation. It worries Jongdae deeply, but he gives Baekhyun the benefit of doubt. Perhaps he absorbs the information better than Jongdae had when he was a youngling.

But an angry hiss escapes Baekhyun’s lips and he scrambles for his pen. Jongdae watches silently, eyes concentrated on the movement of Baekhyun’s fingers as they flutter across the page. Jongdae can feel the pulses of frustration coming from Baekhyun, muttering dates and names with lightning speed. The pen crosses out lines in sections, scribbling out dates when in the wrong order. And finally, Baekhyun lets out an irritated curse when he crosses the whole page out.

“Baekhyun?” Jongdae whispers softly, concerning etched into his voice. The room turns silent as three pairs of eyes focus on Baekhyun’s wild behavior. Baekhyun’s eyes barely catch Jongdae’s, but that is all Jongdae needs to see. A deep fester of emotions swirls in Baekhyun’s brown orbs. Within it, Jongdae feels a strike of fear lashing out.

“I don’t feel well,” Baekhyun mumbles as he bolts for the exit of the library. Jongdae can only help but watch as Baekhyun races away.

Kyungsoo takes Baekhyun’s notebook into his hands and furrows his brow as he reads some of the intelligible lines. He flicks his gaze toward Jongdae, “You should go check on him.”

Jongdae nods at the suggestion and heads toward the direction that Baekhyun has fled to. It doesn’t take him long to find the boy curled into a ball at the end of the staircase, sitting all alone in the dark. His shoulders are steadily heaving, like heavy pants from a run. Jongdae approaches carefully when he senses a huge amount of fear sweep Baekhyun away.

“Baekhyun?” Jongdae gently rests his hand on the other shoulder. Baekhyun tenses at the touch and sound, but doesn’t shrug it away. It’s a good sign.

Jongdae crouches down and cautiously turns Baekhyun’s body. The other sports a blotchy red face, almost identical to the face that he first saw on Kamar. His freckles had all but disappeared, probably due to the lack of Kamar’s sun rays beating down on his face. But the blotchy redness from heaving sobs is still pasted on his cheeks.

“Please tell me what’s wrong,” Jongdae sits on the stairs next to Baekhyun. He can feel the radiant fear seeping from him. The boy hiccups.

“It’s nothing,” the other whispers, shaking his head to avoid eye contact. It’s not good enough. Jongdae can sense the emotions flooding from Baekhyun.

“It’s not nothing. You’re obviously upset,” Jongdae reached to touch Baekhyun gently. The other didn’t move from the touch, but he still radiates frustration. “I want to help you.”

Baekhyun’s body tenses up and flares in anger. He grumbles, “I don’t need help.”

The realization doesn’t smack him square in the face, but Jongdae suddenly feels warm inside. It does make sense. Baekhyun definitely does not trust most people. This includes Jongdae. Jongdae would even assume that the boy had to fend for himself for most of his life. His intelligence is phenomenal, but everyone has their limits.

“Are you afraid to ask for help?” Jongdae asks genuinely, hoping to reach Baekhyun’s eyes. The boy freezes slightly and frowns.

“Kyungsoo used to be like you, and sometimes he still is. He’s kind of stubborn,” Jongdae chuckles a little. He notices that Baekhyun is finally looking at him. “He got so frustrated on one sector of planets that he locked himself in our room for a week. He finally memorized it when he asked me for help. He was so shy about it too.”

When Jongdae smiles softly and tries to look back at Baekhyun, he shifts his gaze down to the floor quickly. He shyly digs his fingers into his thighs and spreads his loose pants just to do something in the silence.

“Maybe it’s hard to put the fear into words, but I think I understand,” Jongdae says. He thinks that sometimes he’s too mature for his age. Others would complement him on his instinctual maturity, especially his Master and the Council. “But I can assure you that Kyungsoo and I will think no less of you if you ask for help.”

Jongdae finally reaches Baekhyun’s eyes. His blotchy face is still there, but it’s a pretty light pink. The frustration and anger that Jongdae sensed before has dissipated and is replaced by something Jongdae couldn’t really pinpoint. But it is strong and radiant, like the hope that reaches Baekhyun’s eyes.

“How would you grow if it wasn’t for others to guide you along the way?” Jongdae finally pats Baekhyun’s back. “We help each other. That is the Jedi way.”

-

The next months of studying go smoother. Jongdae finds out that Baekhyun’s scribbles were him trying to figure out timelines of the Republic and New Republic and Imperial Empire and everything in between. Jongdae has to admit, it was very confusing the first time around. Although Jongdae is pretty smart, he isn’t quite exactly sure of all the material.

Baekhyun shyly asks Kyungsoo for help, and Kyungsoo doesn’t even roll his eyes. He draws up old charts and timelines. Baekhyun takes notes diligently and even asks questions. They seem to get along well. Jongdae feels so proud.

Almost a year later, Baekhyun has begun honing in on his trials studies. Jongdae is just getting off from his mission with Master Jonghyun. The mission is a simple mission, but Jongdae is tired from the long trip to the Outer Rim. He lets out an unattractive yawn.

“Tired?” Jonghyun chuckles, fluffing up Jongdae’s brown locks. Jongdae hums at the sensation as he drags his feet. “You deserve a rest today for a job well done.”

“It wasn’t that hard,” Jongdae shrugs.

Jonghyun almost busts a gut laughing, “Well, you can definitely tolerate Senator Jojune better than I.”

They part ways down the hallway. Jongdae really just wants to sleep in his room. Studying can come later, and eating will definitely come later, but right now his body is exhausted. He approaches the room and lets out a thankful breath when the room is dark. Kyungsoo is out, which means that Jongdae can actually rest.

He flops down on his bed with a smile. He’s still in his robes, but he doesn’t want to move an inch. Sleep is taking over him and he slowly drifts off.

He doesn’t know how long it is, but he gets woken up suddenly by crushing blow to his midsection. He yelps at the sudden pressure and starts pushing at the object that landed on his torso. He feels clothes and suddenly realizes it is another person. Jongdae instinctively starts punching his mystery assailant. He doesn’t know whether it is an ambush or kidnapping, but Jongdae doesn’t want to take his chances.

He punches the person in the dark successfully when the other cries at the blow. Jongdae continues, even when the other person is hardly fighting back. Jongdae squirms and kicks the attacker off his bed. Jongdae has a few seconds, so he turns to his lamp on his desk to illuminate the room. The body lying on the floor kicks up his head and gives Jongdae a pained look. Jongdae finds it be his familiar Baekhyun.

“What-?” Jongdae is clutching his blankets for protection. “How did you get in?”

Baekhyun groans on the floor in obvious pain. Jongdae feels a rush of guilt fill him. He goes to rush for the floor, but Baekhyun staggers up on his legs.

“Kyungsoo let me in,” Baekhyun breathes, his arm lying on his stomach as he hunches over. He stumbles down to sit on the bed. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

Jongdae’s heart simmers down to a simple resting beat. He feels bad for beating Baekhyun up, but the other did just jump him. The look on the others face turns from pained to a delighted face. Jongdae can feel something beautiful radiate from him as he smiles.

“I completed my trials!” Baekhyun exclaims excitedly. His arms wrap around Jongdae’s body without hesitation. Jongdae feels a warm glow fill his body. He isn’t sure if it is just Baekhyun’s enormous amount of energy that makes him feel so happy, but it isn’t a bad feeling. Jongdae wraps his own arms around Baekhyun’s waist, holding him tightly.

“Congratulations. You’ve worked so hard,” Jongdae says within his grin. He can feel Baekhyun’s heart hammering in his chest since theirs are pressed together tightly.

“I couldn’t have done it without you,” Baekhyun whispers softly. Jongdae pulls away from their embrace when Baekhyun’s tone seems down.

“Hey,” Jongdae snips, which makes Baekhyun lift his head at the sound. Jongdae gives a warm smile, one that is half covered in a shadow. “We’re always here to help each other. Success is found in team work.”

Baekhyun gives this weird shy smile while his eyes dart to the ground. Jongdae can barely see it, but he thinks the others cheeks are darkening in a blush. And then the boy picks his head up, lifts his eyes to Jongdae’s. He gives a reassuring smile that is a little more confident. Jongdae feels warm again.


A/N: 

ugh, so cute. kid exo is something I adore. Next chapter will be the end of the First Episode! (roughly 5 chapters per episode~)

What will be Baekhyun's fate? Will he become a Padawan, even with a mysterious backstory~? Stay Tuned! Until next time :)