PART 16

COMPLICATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryeowook stood alone in front of the church, a place where four weeks from now on would be the place of Donghae and Eunhyuk’s wedding party. That wedding became a traditional one, with all sorts of ornaments-white, rose petals scattered along the way, brightly dressed guests, so colorful and alive. There would be fanfare with the organ pipe followed with the choir.

But today the joy seemed to drift away, even though the sun was shining so brightly.

Today, Lee Sungmin would be mourning inside this sacred building and also in the hearts of all the townspeople dressed in black or dark, and deep blue ones. Sungmin would be buried in a grassy lawn with angelic statues and gravestones next to the church.

Saeun sat rigidly in one of the front seats of the church, with Nathan who was moving nonstop innocently on her lap, staring at Sungmin's glistening coffin, and ignoring everyone around him. The coffin was closed due to Sungmin's request, and decorated with Lily's flower; Kyuhyun had made it clear.

Kyuhyun.

On the third day since Sungmin's death –the same day as their wedding day in Sungmin’s backyard– Kyuhyun acted cold, aloof, and strangely immovable from the impenetrable layer of grief. He took care of the horses that Siwon had given him. He nailed the fence. He destroyed some stuffs in the cage and re-fixed them. And when the night came, he would approach Ryeowook in bed, satisfying him mercilessly, with savage that made Ryeowook's heart miss his soft touch.

The gentle sound of the 'Amazing Grace' music poured through the front door of the church.

Ryeowook strengthened his heart to re-enter that building.

He could not use the excuse that he was a stranger in this city to run away. He was now Cho Ryeowook. The new mother figure of Nathan and Jiyeon, Kyuhyun's new husband. And Sungmin had become ... his friend.

Tears obscured Ryeowook's view. Making the colors, the cars, the hearse parked under the rows of trees become a jumble.

A hand touched his elbow.

"It's the time." Siwon told him quietly. “Kyuhyun needs you, Ryeowook.” his eyes are also saying that.

Ryeowook nodded, allowing Siwon to bring him into the church that full of people. He returned to his seat next to Kyuhyun who sat quietly until he might be mistaken for one of the marble statues guarding the tomb behind the church.

Ryeowook desperately wanted to take his hand or simply put it on Kyuhyun's shoulders, but he did not do it. Beside Kyuhyun, Jiyeon enjoyed this process with solemnity, as if protected by the souls of her child’s innocence. Moreover Jiyeon only knew little about Sungmin, and the sadness that she felt now was more focused on Kyuhyun.

And so that the funeral began.

During the prayer, Nathan freed himself from Saeun's arm, crawling from her lap toward Ryeowook, his small hand raised on Ryeowook, his lower lip twitching.

Ryeowook suddenly felt so deeply in love with him, his baby, his son, his miracle, and for a moment he could not breathe. Then he picked up Nathan and hugged him tight.

Meanwhile, Kyuhyun sat stiffly, his eyes were red, his body was hardened. Siwon sat with Heechul, and Donghae with Eunhyuk behind Ryeowook and Kyuhyun. Siwon put his hand softly at Kyuhyun’s, squeezing them.

Kyuhyun gasped with the consolation Siwon gave. Except during the night, when he drowned himself in Ryeowook's body, Kyuhyun could not stand when his body was being touched by someone else. An unlucky fate rushed up to him, hitting him right in the depths of his heart.

Again he thought about the problems that happened to him, all of them seemed endless. Starting from the death of his parents on the plane, his divorce with a named Tae Hee, the downfall of ChoKorp, a pesky financial negotiation to keep the heart of his daughter he loved so much, his encounter with Ryeowook that could be said to be bad until finally that beautiful man turning upside down and confusing his heart, until Sungmin's death that felt so gripping. Too much burden to bear. He was not sure if maybe happiness would still cross path his life.

No praises were given to remember the goodness of Sungmin during his lifetime, but the Priest gave the opportunity to anyone who wanted to give some words to come forward.

Ryeowook stood in the hall, holding Nathan, waiting for Kyuhyun to stand up.

After a moment's hesitation, Kyuhyun stood up.

His back straightened as he walked toward the altar, then stepped behind the pulpit. A tense silence contributed to his words that filled the church.

Ryeowook sat back, shaking. Jiyeon moved closer to him and rested her head on Ryeowook's shoulder. Ryeowook kissed Jiyeon's forehead and moved slightly as he draped his arm around her and pressed her body against himself, trying to keep Nathan safe at the same time.

When that little boy cried impatiently, Siwon picked him up from Ryeowook's lap and brought Nathan out.

Kyuhyun stood in front, swallowing. "Recently a good friend of mine said," he started talking, and stopped halfway to clearing his throat, "that in this life one should spend less time in their head and be more heart-wise in order to achieve a happiness. Without a doubt, Sungmin did that all his life. He lived with his heart. He forgave others and was always ready with a second chance." His sad and unreadable eyes gazed on Ryeowook. "He died the same way he was born –generous. He had a lot of pain and he was frightened, but he passed it all. He made sure his son had a home and family." Kyuhyun stopped again and searched for words. "Sungmin was one of the bravest men I’ve known, and I will never forget him, my bestfriend."

With those words, Kyuhyun came down, stopped briefly to touch Sungmin's coffin as he passed by.

I will never forget him.

That sentence echoed, sacred and full of sadness, through Ryeowook's heart.

Ryeowook and Jiyeon shifted so that Kyuhyun could sit near the hall. Together with Siwon, Donghae, Changmin, Yunho, and one of his siblings, Kyuhyun became one of the coffin lifter. It was his duty to help lift Sungmin's coffin out of the church after the ceremony, through the shining summer sun, to the hearse.

Ryeowook's throat choked.

Ryeowook followed the rest of the ceremony with numbness. He listened to Saeun's courageous and tearful tribute, but she seemed to speak in another language so Ryeowook did not understand at all. Siwon returned, giving a sleeping Nathan to Heechul.

And then the dreaded moment arrived with relief. With a gesture from the priest, the crate carriers gathered, each taking a place in the brass chest handle.

All was over.

All this was just the beginning.

Sungmin did not want anyone to come when he was buried, so when the door of the hearse was closed, that was the last farewell.

One of the people announced that snacks were already provided in a small hall next to the church.

Ryeowook also held back his want.

People ate cookies and sipping coffee or other drinks, swapping memories of Sungmin back when he was still young, a man they knew very well.

Nathan was exhausted, caught in an emotion he might not understand. That baby boy had used to living in Daecheong, but sometimes he liked to walk from room to room to find Sungmin's whereabouts. "Daddy?" He said sadly and confused. "Daddy?"

Now he was looking at a group of people and looking for someone he would never find.

Ryeowook approached Kyuhyun hesitantly. Kyuhyun during the day; there would be another Kyuhyun in the night, when they were alone in their bedroom, with Nathan sleeping in the next room and Jiyeon down the hall.

Ryeowook was looking forward to a deep intimate relationship that ignited all his body cells. But he was also scared, he was afraid to surrender himself like that.

"Nathan is exhausted," he said softly, holding his son and putting his chin on Nathan's head. Kyuhyun's face was almost healed, his swollen lips almost back to normal and his scar had disappeared. "I'll take him home."

Kyuhyun blinked as if Ryeowook was just an ordinary acquaintance whom he accidentally met, and he forgot him for a while. Ryeowook swore Kyuhyun was trying to remember his name.

"Home," Kyuhyun said flatly. "To…Seoul?" He continued silently.

Ryeowook stood silent for a moment. "To Daecheong." he explained, then felt like a fool. Where else would he go? Sungmin's luxurious house was closed until the ownership of the land was cleared. Saeun had packed up his things and his sister had come to take him to Busan. Siwon and Donghae had brought all the goods of Nathan and Ryeowook to Daecheong with their trucks.

"I'll take the car," Kyuhyun said, surprising Ryeowook. He did not know what to expect from Kyuhyun. "Where's Jiyeon?"

"Playing outside with Daehan, Minguk, and Mansae." Ryeowook replied. "Kyuhyun, you don’t have to–"

"There's nothing I can do here," he said. He even smiled a little, ruffled Nathan's hair, but as he looked back at Ryeowook, he was again seen away.

Kyuhyun left him, spoke briefly to Saeun then walked out.

Ryeowook wanted to say his own words and so that he approached Saeun. "I’ll often send photos of Nathan to you." He said. "And you can visit Nathan whenever you want."

Saeun's eyes filled with tears as she leaned over to the boy's hair, then kissed him where she placed her hand. "Thank you, Ryeowook," she said.

Ryeowook's throat choked again.

Saeun smiled softly. "For Sungmin, this is a relief knowing you’ll take care of Nathan and love him as much as he does. Giving him something to survive."

Still unable to speak, Ryeowook just nodded.

"Make sure you don’t forget the photos," Saeun said. "I'll send a message to Daecheong when I get to Busan, so you'll know my address." That old woman looked behind Ryeowook, toward the open door of the hall. "Go now and take care of your man. All this will be difficult for a while, but if you survive, I think everything will be fine."

"A-Are you all right?" Ryeowook asked after searching his voice for a moment.

"I'll be fine," Saeun replied. "I'll be sad because Sungmin, he's like my son. But I will pass this, I can survive. Sungmin made sure everything I needed, God, please forgive his soul. I have my sister and many wonderful memories I can remember."

"Thank you, Saeun." Ryeowook said as he walked away.

Kyuhyun stood beside the car, one hand was placed on the side of Jiyeon while talking to her. When he saw Ryeowook approaching, Kyuhyun left his daughter to take Nathan from Ryeowook's lap. Putting the sleepy boy in a special chair for him in the car. Jiyeon sat politely near Nathan.

No one talked on the way to Daecheong.

After they arrived, Ryeowook changed Nathan's diaper, handed him a bottle of milk and put him into his playing box in the kitchen. Kyuhyun immediately went upstairs, back in his loose pants, boots, and work shirts.

Ryeowook left Nathan under Jiyeon's watch for a few minutes and went upstairs to change his black shirt. He wore a knee-length denim pants, a white shirt, and sandals. When he returned to the kitchen, Kyuhyun was gone.

Jiyeon sat in a rocking chair, watching Nathan asleep.

Ryeowook paused beside her chair, a little worried because of her moody expression. Yes, Jiyeon had just attended a funeral, but she suspected it was something different.

Kyuhyun had mentioned something about Jiyeon. Maybe they've talked.

"Do you want to have lunch, honey?" Ryeowook asked.

Jiyeon shook her head. "Dad is angry."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter