PART 15 (The Wedding)

COMPLICATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part. 15

Ryeowook stood  silent at the window of Luna's room, holding the window sill and staring at the backyard, where Kyuhyun was waiting for him. The man he should not marry. The man he should not be in love with.

Saeun was also there with Nathan. Sungmin sat in a wheelchair, under a shady oak tree, his hands folded on his lap. Jiyeon wandered around the people there, showing off her new sapphire blue dress and the corsage on her wrists, moving from Siwon, to Donghae, Heechul, Eunhyuk, and others. But she’s always back to Kyuhyun.

The bond between Kyuhyun and his daughter was very striking, clearly visible to anyone who saw it, and Ryeowook was amazed and envious. Today he missed his father more than ever, hoping his father could be half as much of Kyuhyun's commitment to Jiyeon.

"You look so handsome," Luna said to him, slowly cutting Ryeowook's mind.

Ryeowook turned from the window, bending his head down to see the soft blue tuxedo that covered his body with the shiny black shoes he had bought from one of Seonjae's stores. Luna had his hair done, raised his bangs up to make him look manlier and more charming.

"Why do I really wanna do this?" Ryeowook asked quietly. "While I know that this will break my heart?"

"Because of Nathan," Luna reminded him, squeezing Ryeowook's hands. "And because you love Kyuhyun."

Ryeowook bit his lower lip, nodding helplessly.

"Don’t you dare to cry ‘cause it’ll destroy your make up." Luna said.

Ryeowook laughed and for the first time he finally did not cry. Maybe he’s out of tears. "I think we better get down," he said.

Luna nodded.

They both fell silent as they took the elevator to the ground floor and walked past the house.

"Here we go," Luna said as they reached the terrace.

The priest had taken his place outside, under a place decorated with roses, the vines with some pink, yellow, and white flowers. This was unlike  a wedding, Ryeowook thought, especially involving children.

Kyuhyun stood right in front of the priest, glowing perfectly in his blue tuxedo –just as the same as Ryeowook’s– his face bruised. Nevertheless, he still looked gorgeous. Siwon and Donghae stood behind him, their looks were almost perfect and they looked as if they had been fighting and pulled forcibly from behind Brenn’s cage in Daecheong to come to this wedding.

Which of course it was true.

"Ready?" Luna asked.

Ryeowook took a deep breath and calm himself. "Yes," he said.

No. Yes. Maybe. Oh God, what am I doing?

A white bouquet of roses waiting on the table. He passed Sungmin's bed, the thing that reminded him with sadness and pain if this was not an ordinary marriage.

Today was the day when the last wish of a man who was dying happened.

Luna pressed the bouquet into Ryeowook's hand, squeezed his shoulder and she walked out.

This was a strange process. Jiyeon did not take the place where she should have stayed and Luna followed that little girl happily.

No sacred music was playing.

Ryeowook waited until Luna beckoned him. And then he took his first step.

It felt like forever.

Kyuhyun's eyes met with him and they continued to stare at each other as Ryeowook slowly walked toward him. Ryeowook kept walking, his head held high. He touched the side of Kyuhyun's body when he arrived in front of the Priest.

The Priest cleared his throat. "My dear family here," he began to say, "We gather here today with the presence of God Almighty and witnesses ..."

Ryeowook did not hear the rest of his words until the Priest said Are-you-willing-to-be-part-of-this-man-for-the-rest-of-your-life. Kyuhyun nudged him slowly, smiling at him sincelery. Sincelery? Was is true? It was just his imagination. That was it.

"Are you willing to be part of this man for the rest of your life?" The Priest repeated

"Wh-What?" All the audiences’s shocked eyes looked at him, including Kyuhyun with a stifled breath in his throat. His heart beat faster crazily.

Did Ryeowook really not want this marriage to happen?

Did he change his mind because he thought this all was ridiculous?

"Are you willing to be part of this man for the rest of your life?" Once again the Priest repeated his question.

"Ye-yeah," said Ryeowook, addressed to Kyuhyun, not to the Priest.

Then the audiences were all quiet. The silence took all over the place.

Ryeowook repeated again. "I mean, Yes, I'm willing."

Kyuhyun breathed in relief. A smile spreaded all over his face. And when the Priest touched his shoulder, he knew what he really want to do.

"Kyuhyun, are you willing to accept this man to be your legitimate husband and loving him for the rest of your life?" asked the Priest.

Legitimate husband, Ryeowook thought. Gosh.

"Yes, I'm willing." Kyuhyun replied in a heavy and slow voice. For a man who was forced to marry, Ryeowook thought, he looked too calm. Or was he just giving up on the circumstances?

"With the power of God," said the priest, "I declare you as a legitimate couple. Kyuhyun, you can kiss your husband."

Gently, Kyuhyun touched Ryeowook's cheeks, facing that shorter man’s face. He put one of his fingers on Ryeowook's chin and bent down to place his lips over Ryeowook's.

According to his wounded lips, he did it perfectly, Ryeowook thought.

"Our dear audiences here," said the priest, "I am offering to you. Mr. Cho Kyuhyun and Mr. Cho Ryeowook."

Jiyeon started jumping up and down, unable to contain her excitement.

And Ryeowook was very relieved then because that little girl accepted him to be part of her life. Jiyeon promised to call him Mommy after their marriage took place. That was a huge gift.

When Kyuhyun released Ryeowook hesitantly, Siwon stepped forward and kissed Ryeowook’s cheek, as well as Donghae. They both smile at Kyuhyun. Eunhyuk and Heechul hugged him, and Luna did too.

Ryeowook received their congratulations, then he searched for Sungmin who sat weakly and shrunken in his wheelchair, under the oak tree.

"Please take care of  him." Sungmin said grimly, his eyes shining between joy and sadness.

"I'll be a good Mommy for Nathan and also Jiyeon. I'd better get used to that call from now on.You don’t have to worry, Sungmin. " Ryeowook replied, smiling.

"I know that," Sungmin said, looking at Ryeowook with his weak eyes, the sign of giving up. "I'm talking about Kyuhyun. Maybe there are still many things he hasn’t told you, Ryeowook. About how his parents died, and about Jiyeon's mother. I've known him since we were still kids and he has his own way to sort things out. Please give him a chance to find his way. Don’t give up on him."

Ryeowook's throat choked. He gently placed the bouquet of the white roses on Sungmin's lap. "Thank you, Sungmin. Thank you for forgiving me, and thank you for Nathan, and for ... "

"Kyuhyun?" Sungmin smiled, lifting the bouquet to smell the fragrance. It had been awhile since he had breathed the roses smell. "He's not an easy person to face, but he's so easy to love, isn’t he?"

Ryeowook swallowed, looked back. Kyuhyun was gathering with Siwon, Donghae, and Shim Changmin. As he turned to stare at Sungmin, he whispered, "Yes, he is."

"So are you, Ryeowook." Sungmin smiled into Ryeowook's handsome face with the blue tuxedo he was wearing. Let it be like this, Sungmin thought, just for a moment.

No one would know how much he wanted to look at Ryeowook like this. It was a little bit crazy and should not happen. His feelings continued to grow with the time left for him to live.

For the first time after being diagnosed with cancer, he felt destiny was playing unfair on him. Destiny had taken all he wanted for life. Why, in the last days of his life, should he feel these feelings toward Ryeowook?

He wanted to hold his hands –again.

Even if it was just for a second.

But he did not do it because he knew it would only make Ryeowook sad. It would be so much easier to hide, wouldn’t it? Just by looking at him was enough.

Enough to satisfy the blank space in his heart.

One thing he did not know, Kyuhyun noticed that sadness and meaningful look from afar.

Tears stuck in Sungmin's eyes. "Love him, Ryeowook. Love Kyuhyun with all your heart."

Ryeowook could not speak. He just nodded.

Sungmin returned the bouquet to him. "It's yours," he said. "So is Kyuhyun. And Nathan? He is always yours. I just borrowed him for a while."

Ryeowook's eyes blurred and as he blinked, Saeun approached them, standing behind Sungmin and holding the wheelchair handle. She pushed Sungmin into the house.

Ryeowook watched him. His heart hurt –just as the same as Sungmin had felt in the previous moment– when Kyuhyun broke away from Siwon, Donghae, and Changmin to take on Saeun's duties– pushing Sungmin’s wheelchair.

Kyuhyun held Sungmin's wheelchair, bending over to whisper something in his ear.

Sungmin laughed and wiped his tears away.

"Someone wants to congratulate you." There was someone's voice and Ryeowook turned to see Eunhyuk and Heechul standing behind him. Eunhyuk carried Nathan. That baby boy tried to reach Ryeowook and as Ryeowook picked him up, he immediately kissed Ryeowook on the cheek and pulled the pin that stuck on his shoulder.

Ryeowook took off the pin and let Nathan play with it.

"Welcome to this family, Ryeowook," Heechul said gently. "You're a Cho now."

Ryeowook chose to take Kyuhyun's last name. He decided that way because Nathan would become a Cho after the letters were signed.

"Thank you," Ryeowook said. Even with Nathan in his hands, as his legitimate son, he could not bear to keep looking at the terrace. Sungmin’s wheelchair stood silent under the stairs. Kyuhyun must have brought Sungmin to his hospital bed.

Heechul touched his shoulder. "Ryeowook?"

Ryeowook turned to meet Heechul's powerful eyes. "We're here for you. Eunhyuk and me. We just –we just want you to know that we understand your feelings." Heechul said.

Eunhyuk nodded, his eyes shining with tears, and sobbing.

The sound of the closing door turned Ryeowook's attention. Kyuhyun just left Sungmin and his face looked sad, betrayed, and angry at the same time, like wearing a dark mask.

Heechul took Nathan from his lap.

Eunhyuk beckoned to Ryeowook. "Go get him. He needs you now." he whispered.

And Ryeowook nodded and walked toward Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun barely saw him, at least initially. In fact they almost collided. In the next second, Kyuhyun held Ryeowook's shoulders, making Ryeowook look at him.

Ryeowook forced himself to look into Kyuhyun's eyes.

None of them spoke.

Then Kyuhyun kissed Ryeowook's forehead. "Everything will be fine," he said.

And Ryeowook wondered if he was convincing Ryeowook –or he himself.

***

Kyuhyun was already MARRIED.

Married.

Kyuhyun propped his chin on Ryeowook's head, in the middle of Sungmin's yard. He looked up at the sky. It was a beautiful day, but now the wind began to blow and the black clouds began to move from the west, disguising the sun.

Instinctively, he held Ryeowook tighter.

And there came the rain, he thought.

Ryeowook stepped back slightly from Kyuhyun, smiling uncertainly. "I think we'd better move this party inside," he said as the first drop began to fall.

Kyuhyun nodded. There would be no honeymoon –they had no time for that. Changmin had already faxed a deal with Tae Hee earlier today and hell could be open any time. He must be prepared for that and he had to protect Jiyeon from her downfall as much as he could do.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter