Part 8

The Unromantic Novelist

 

"He doesn't like you very much huh?" Yunho asked as he and Jaejoong were walking around the campus. The lectures had ended some time ago and now they were just walking along the walking track in the middle of the ground.

 

"He absolutely hates me. If what happened back there in the classroom wasn't enough of a proof I don't know what is." Jaejoong huffed.

 

"You should focus on you studies. Be regular." Yunho chuckled. "Teachers love regular students who give them full attention."

 

"I don't want to be teacher's pet!"

 

"Its doesn't make you-"

 

"Oppa!" Jaejoong and Yunho turned around to see a brown haired girl walking towards them.

 

"Euna.. I'm a bit busy." Jaejoong began.

 

"Oppa I'm sorry what appa said to you during class. He shouldn't have said that." She pouted a little. "I felt so bad. He insulted you infront of the whole class."

 

"Appa?" Yunho raised an eyebrow.

 

"Yeah she's the HOD's daughter." Jaejoong sighed. "It's OK Euna. I'm used to it."

 

"But still. He was too harsh. I told him that he did wrong.

 

"Here comes another lecture." Jaejoong massaged his temples. "He'll think I'm manipulating his daughter!"

 

"No you're not oppa! Its cause I like you. I've told you this thousand times and I'll say it a thousand times again." Euna looked determined.

 

"Wow." Yunho whistled. "There's a lot of dedication there. Don't lose the chance Jaejoong." Jaejoong looked at Yunho with his mouth open.

 

"You're the doctor who's gonna give us lectures starting tomorrow." Euna said, her eyes twinkling in acknowledgment. "Thank you for saving Jaejoong oppa today."

 

"No problem." Yunho gave an amused smile.

 

"I have to go now. Appa is waiting for me." She said smiling. "And oppa! Please reply my texts!" With that she ran off.

 

After the girl was out of sight Yunho burst into laughter. "What?" Jaejoong asked with a frown.

 

"That was so cute."

 

"No that wasn't! That was annoying."

 

"She even thanked me for saving you. And reply to her texts please." Yunho teased Jaejoong again.

 

"Urgh!" Jaejoong ruffled his hair. "Whose side are you?"

 

"Well. I think you'd need my help since the HOD would be extra hard on you now." Yunho snickered. "After all you manipulated his daughter."

 

"What have you put yourself into Kim Jaejoong." Jaejoong sighed.

 

"Exactly." Yunho burst into another fit of laughter.

 

 

...

 

 

Jaejoong collapsed on his bed as soon as he reached home. He was tired and the lack of sleep didn't do him any justice. He sighed and closed his eyes, trying to sleep. His whole body was aching, his head was hurting, his vision was blurry but sleep wasn't coming. He took a quick shower, changed into his pajamas and laid down in his bed. A few minutes passed and he was still awake. "Curse this insomnia." Jaejoong groaned and sat up. His head was throbbing. He went to the kitchen to get a pain killer when his door bell rung. He hardly got any visitors. He went to the door and opened it revealing his manager. 

 

"Changmin?"

 

"Does this face looks like anyone else's?" Changmin said in an annoyed tone which caused Jaejoong to roll his eyes. "Where's the manuscript?"

 

"I still have sometime I haven't finished it yet."

 

"Some time? If you are saying that tomorrow morning is some time for you then you better just have a few lines to write 'cause I swear if you-"

 

"Wait wait wait! Hold up!" Jaejoong frowned. "Tomorrow? Didn't you say it was this friday?"

 

"You never read the texts carefully do you?" Changmin crossed his arms. "Tomorrow is the deadline and on Friday we will publish it. On Sunday you have a fansigning and on Tuesday you need to attend an author's party."

 

Jaejoong just stared at Changmin for a few seconds. He was screwed. His manuscript wasn't even half way done. The deadline was tomorrow. "Changmin what to do now? I-I didn't know."

 

Changmin sighed massaging his temple. "I'll talk to the printers. If they could do the printing in lesser time if we are late. How much time do you want?" 

 

"Two days?" 

 

"Jaejoong its tuesday today! You need to complete it till Wednesday night so I'll go over it that night then I'll give it to the printers on Thursday morning. We have already announced the releasing date. We can't backout now."  

 

Jaejoong bit his lower lip. His limbs felt a bit numb. How could he take all of the pressure at once? He had classes to attend to too. He couldn't fail the semester, his attendance was already short. And Yunho was also there 'cause god know when they'll be able to meet again. He never felt so conflicted between study and work. 

 

"Jaejoong!" Changmin shouted and Jaejoong snapped out of his trance. "Get to work! You are not to leave this house till you hand me the manuscript."

 

"But I have classes tomorrow."

 

"Since when did you started caring about university?" Changmin said in a shocked voice.

 

"I have to go or I'll fail. And.. someone told me that I should pay attention to studies so.." 

 

"Someone? Whose words did you take under consideration? Your parent's? Mine? Yoochun's? Your brother in law's?" 

 

"No its someone else." Jaejoong sighed and when Changmin didn't say anything Jaejoong quickly spoke. "What?"

 

"Don't tell me." Changmin's eyes grew wider. "You found love!"

 

"I-I don't know but his words matter."

 

"So its a he." 

 

"Shut up!" Jaejoong's face grew red and he quickly.

 

...

 

After Changmin had left Jaejoong took his laptop bag and some important stuff to his favorite coffee shop. It was quiet there, only a couple of people. Jaejoong waved towards the boy on the counter who waved back. "The usual?" he asked and Jaejoong nodded.

He took his usual seat in the corner and began writing his manuscript. After a few minutes his coffee arrived. After an hour of working he stretched and stared out of the window blankly, dark clouds were gathering in the sky. "Its gonna rain." Jaejoong mumbled to himself. The door of the cafe was opened, the bell clinking signaling of a new arrival. Jaejoong glanced without interest towards the front and tried to hide behind his laptop. It was Yoona. The said girl went towards the counter ordering something and looked around and spotted Jaejoong. Jaejoong did his best to hide himself and show how busy he was. 

 

"I thought I saw someone familiar." 

 

Jaejoong raised his head at the voice. "Oh! Yoonashi, nice to see to again."

 

"Nice to see you again too Jaejoongshi. Are you alone? Can I sit?" She pointed towards the empty chair although Jaejoong wanted to scream go away I'm busy  he couldn't say it and just nodded, allowing Yoona to sit in the chair infront of him. Jaejoong began furiously type on his laptop although whatever he was typing, he knew it was wrong. He wanted to show that he was busy. "So whats happening in the next editions?" Yoona suddenly spoke which caused Jaejoong to pause suddenly and look towards her.

 

"Huh?"

 

"The next edition. You're writing your manuscript aren't you?" Yoona tilted her head. Jaejoong just stared at her, his breathe caught in his throat. How did she know? "Whats wrong? You're looking at me like you've seen a ghost." 

 

"You-I.. I mean.. How did you-"

 

"Did you want to keep it a secret?" She gasped a little. "I'm sorry I didn't know. It's just the company that publishes your novels, I know the CEO. He's my uncle. I mentioned you infront of him since you're a literature student. I was curious on how it all works you know. So he told me that you already worked there and have a pretty good job." 

 

"Oh.." 

 

"Whats with the face." Yoona laughed. "Its not like I'm gonna go on and tell the world about you." 

 

"D-does Yunho know?"

 

"No. But I'm curious why didn't you tell him? He's a pretty big fan of yours."

 

"I didn't get the chance." Jaejoong said after a while. He didn't feel like tell the older man. It would've made things a bit awkward wouldn't it? Should he tell him before Yoona tells him? He bit his lower lip in confusion

 

"Its okay if you want to keep it a secret. I understand your privacy. I didn't mean to pry."

 

"Its alright." Jaejoong lowered his head, still lost in his thoughts.

 

"Well, I'll be going. I came here to get coffee for me and Yunho." She got up. "Good bye." After waving she grabbed her order and walked out. 

 

Jaejoong sat there puzzled. He looked at his laptop screen. He had so much to do but his brain was distracted. He heard the thundering of clouds outside, the first droplet his the glass, Jaejoong felt cold. He looked towards his laptop and resumed his work but he couldn't work efficiently. As his mind kept drifting to something else.  

 

...

 

"Yunho. Here's your coffee." Yoona placed the cup on Yunho's desk and sat in the chair infront of it. "I met someone at the coffee shop today."

 

"Hmm?" Yunho hummed, his eyes still focusing on his phone.

 

"Your friend Jaejoong."

 

"Oh." He looked up. 

 

"He's a hard worker isn't he?"

 

"He barely pays attention to his study." Yunho chuckled. "You know he was scolded by Mr.Im today. He thought he was skipping classes again."

 

"Maybe he has other important stuff to do."

 

"Well, he did say his hobby was writing and that good since he's studying literature. But he needs to pay attention towards his studies. A degree is important you know."

 

"You can be so dense." Yoona sighed.

 

"What?"

 

"Nothing. Drink your coffee before it gets cold. I need to run some errands. And don't you dare go home without me." She said as she stepped out of the office.

 

Yunho frowned towards her and he picked up his phone and texted Jaejoong.

 

Yunho: Hi! Coming to university tomorrow?

 

Jaejoong: Yep got class.

 

Yunho: You must be studying hard.

 

Jaejoong: I am.

 

Yunho: At the cafe.

 

A few moments passed but Jaejoong's text didn't come. Yunho frowned a bit. He was about to text again when Jaejoong's text arrived.

 

Jaejoong: Yoonashi told you?

 

Yunho: Yeah she told me you were working very hard. I think my lecture did some good eh?

 

Jaejoong: She didn't say anything else?

 

Yunho: No.. Do I need to know something?

 

Jaejoong: No, just asking. Gotta work on this assignment ttyl.

 

Yunho: Ok good luck bye

 

Jaejoong: Bye

 

Yunho put down his phone and frowned. Jaejoong was acting weird. His phone beeped again.

 

Jaejoong: Its raining outside. Don't try to become all macho. I'm not making soup again. I have exams to deal with.

 

Yunho laughed and replied with a 'ok mom.' 

 

....................

Sorry for the delay actually I got caught up university work you won't believe what happened to me. I had written half of his chapter on Tuesday and I had wrote about Jaejoong and his deadline mistake and all. The next day I got a text that our teacher had set out assignment deadline this Thursday.. that is tomorrow. It was originally 15 august. I hadn't done anything! This is so unfair they made an excuse about the dean changing the schedules. But i think the Jaejoong from this story wanted revenge from me? That why i was busy lately. Please wish me is luck i have to go to university tomorrow.