Chapter 9

Jellyfish Waterpark
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“Thanks for helping me take care of Minyul.”

 

Hakyeon shook his head. “It was no problem.”

 

After they laid the young boy to rest, Taekwoon’s mother had sent them off to enjoy the rest of the show. The pair walked side by side across the bridge. The atmosphere got a bit awkward without Minyul in-between them.

 

Hakyeon followed the other – stopping to lean against the rails. They spent the next few minutes in silence until Taekwoon, unexpectedly, spoke up.

 

“What you said earlier…were you serious?”

 

“About what?”

 

“…About me – is that really what you think?”

 

Hakyeon blinked. “Of course, I think you’re amazing.”

 

“Why?”

 

Hakyeon chuckled. “For one thing, you’re kind-hearted. Studying to be a nurse, and wanting to help people – that’s not something I’d ever imagine doing. Even though we barely knew each other, you were still nice and allowed me to spend an entire day with you and your family. Among other aspects…I can’t tell you. Just know that these reasons are why…I like you.”

 

Taekwoon gulped, and averted his eyes away from the other’s intense gaze. He looked down to watch the soothing riffles of the lake.

 

“As…a friend, right?”

 

Hakyeon hesitated, becoming aware of their distance. It was short – enough for their shoulders to touch, and feel each other’s warmth.

 

“What do you think?” Hakyeon whispered, and theirs eyes met once again.

 

Taekwoon’s were dark with something Hakyeon couldn’t comprehend, and he worried he might have screwed everything up. Their faces also had a short distance between them, Hakyeon noticed. God, it was tempting.

 

And maybe it was his imagination the next second when Taekwoon’s eyes flickered down to his lips as quickly as they looked back up. Maybe it was just wishful thinking, but damn.

 

We’ve been here before, Hakyeon remembered, when three big pink and white fireworks were shot up in the air, lighting the darkness of the night.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

The fireworks reminded Jaehwan where he was, but it didn’t help the lost feeling he felt at the moment. How did he get here, stuck between Wonshik and Hongbin?

 

Jaehwan’s conversation with Wonshik was cut short before. Only minutes ago did the blonde confess to him (he still hasn’t quite processed it yet). Now, Hongbin was here, oblivious to everything but the light show.

 

The glances Wonshik sent his way kept him on edge. He wasn’t able to ask the man if he joking, or even shrug it off. Wonshik’s frightening words were left hanging in the air, and Jaehwan didn’t have a clue what to do. He was ever so thankful the show was almost over.

 

With an excuse, he tried to get out of the tight spot.

 

“Guys, I’m going to go find Hakyeon and my brothers. They’re my ride, and I want to get to them before everyone starts to pack up and leave.”

 

“We can drive you home,” Hongbin offered a little too briskly. “Wonshik has a car.”

 

Jaehwan scratched at the nape of his neck, wearing a sheepish grin. “Thanks, but Hakyeon and I came together. My brothers were his ride.”

 

“Then, let’s go find Hakyeon, and I’ll take you both home,” Wonshik said, firmly.

 

Before Jaehwan could refuse, the two were already dragging him along on the search for his best friend.

 

 

With Hongbin’s good eyes, they were able to find Hakyeon surprisingly quick on bridge.

 

“Hey!” Jaehwan called out to him. The latter was looking down at the lake before looking up after hearing an all too familiar voice.

 

Hakyeon sighed, and Jaehwan grew concerned.

 

“Why do you look so pale? You’re not getting sick again, are you?”

 

The other merely shook his head, and stuffed his hands in his jacket pockets.

 

“You found Wonshik and Hongbin?”

 

The pair greeted him with a smile and a wave.

 

“Yeah,” Jaehwan replied. “They offered to take you and I home.”

 

Hakyeon nodded. “Can I sleep over at yours tonight?”

 

“…Sure, but seriously, are you feeling okay?”

 

“Yeah, just tired.”

 

“Then,” Wonshik intervened, “we should hurry and head to the parking lot before it gets busy.”

 

Everyone agreed and did just that, leaving behind the rest of what was left of the bright multi-colored fireworks, and an astonished crowd.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

“Are you really not going to tell me what’s wrong?” Jaehwan asked his friend once he came out of the bathroom.

 

Freshly washed up, Hakyeon fell against Jaehwan’s mattress with a ‘thump’. He furiously dried his wet hair, before staring at the ceiling.

 

“I told Taekwoon how I felt about him.”

 

Jaehwan’s eyes widened and he turned away from his desk to look at the other, who was in a daze. Two confessions in one night?

 

“I take it he rejected you?”

 

“I guess you could call it that; he ran away, literally.”

 

Ouch, Jaehwan thought, and stood up from his desk chair to walk over and flop down beside Hakyeon. “I’m sorry,” he said after a minute.

 

The other was silent. He sighed, and turned so that he could rest his damp head against Jaehwan’s clothed shoulder. The latter would forgive him for now.

 

“I just wish…he’d have at least said something,” he heard Hakyeon mutter – his voice soft, barely audible – but Jaehwan heard it clearly. His hand came up to rest against Hakyeon’s back, rubbing slow, calming circles. He winced at the memory of Wonshik doing the same to him.

 

He closed his eyes and shook the feeling off, tingles running up his spine. He knew he had to face the man, but wasn’t sure how. Jaehwan supposed if Hakyeon could face his fears, then he could do the same.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

Taekwoon was avoiding him, Hakyeon was certain. It was no surprise after what happened last night. He was still confused, and a bit disappointed. However, even though he knew he shouldn’t, Hakyeon was holding onto a little sprout of hope. Taekwoon hadn’t accepted nor rejected him, and although him running away was disconcerting, Hakyeon still felt like he had a chance.

 

Maybe he’s shy, Hakyeon pondered. Maybe the man hadn’t received many confessions (for whatever reason), so he wasn’t sure how to respond. Still, it was upsetting.

 

Now, the man seemed to be avoiding him. Hakyeon wanted to see him - wanted to hear an answer before getting his hopes up anymore. He needed to know, and he was determined to find out today.

 

“Hey Hyuk!”

 

Said boy turned at the sound of his name. He smiled when he noticed it was Hakyeon. “Hey, hyung! What’s up?”

 

“Have you seen Tae-Leo around?”

 

“Leo hyung? I think he’s counting boxes in the storage room. Why, is there something wrong?”

 

Hakyeon shook his head with a smirk. “No, I just have something to ask him. Thanks, I’ll see you around.”

 

Before Hyuk could say anything else, Hakyeon was already dashing off.

 

“I didn’t those two were close,” the boy muttered to himself.

 

 

Sure enough, Hyuk was right. Hakyeon paused at the doorway at the sight of Taekwoon in uniform, writing information down on a clipboard.

 

He didn’t want to scare the man away.

 

He made himself known with a knock on the door, to which Taekwoon looked up with a stunned expression. He blinked it back, and averted his eyes to the floor.

 

“Hey, need some help?” Hakyeon offered, with a friendly grin.

 

“…I got it.”

Please log in to read the full chapter