Chapter 8

Jellyfish Waterpark
Please log in to read the full chapter

*unbeta'd

 

The sun was setting at a slow pace – orange and pink streaks dancing across the sky. It’ll soon get to the bottom, and the moon will rise.

 

Hakyeon captured the moment for his mental album, right beside Taekwoon.

 

Their feet matched a similar rhythm – a little thing Hakyeon noticed. It seemed like a dream; like the time they were sharing was all in his head.

 

Curiosity peaked his interest, so the young boy spoke through the oddly comforting silence.

 

“Jaehwan told me you said I had food poisoning, how did you know?” he asked, after thanking Taekwoon a few minutes earlier.

 

The latter faintly grinned. “I’m studying at ‘xxx university’ to become nurse, but currently on break.”

 

“A nurse,” Hakyeon smiled. “That’s amazing.”

 

Taekwoon’s grin grew wider as he kicked at a peddle. “Not really.”

 

Hakyeon huffed. “Seriously, it’s a lot grander than what I’m studying.”

 

“What are you studying?”

 

“Dancing.”

 

“Dancing? Isn’t studying dancing more amazing than studying to be a nurse?”

 

Hakyeon laughed. “A lot of parents don’t seem to think so.”

 

Takewoon nodded. “Are your parents against it?”

 

The brown haired boy thought for a moment before putting on a sheepish smile. “They don’t really care what I do,” he replied.

 

The mood dropped, and the silence returned until a few seconds passed.

 

“Thanks for walking me home, nurse Jung,” Hakyeon said, making up for the awkward tension.

 

Taekwoon smirked. “Make sure you take the medicine.”

 

“Yes, nurse Jung.”

 

The other turned around after they both waved each other goodbye.

 

“Be careful on your way!” Hakyeon commented, to which Taekwoon gave another little wave without looking back.

 

Hakyeon chuckled, watching the man’s back as Taekwoon walked all the way back to the bus stop.

 

The large vehicle arrived minutes later. It was after the other got on the bus and left, did Hakyeon finally enter the building and walk into his apartment – the door shutting with a soft click.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

The next day, Hakyeon felt like he could rule the world. He was in better shape than yesterday. The reason for this was because of Jung Taekwoon (*big surprise).

 

Hakyeon’s shift began with the dark haired man striding up to him in the locker room – giving him his number.

 

“Call me when you ever feel sick again,” Taekwoon told him shyly.

 

Since then, Hakyeon’s day was all smiles and looking on the bright side of things.

 

“If you keep this up, I’m going to punch you,” Jaehwan muttered without keeping his eyes off the pools.

 

“Jealous?” Hakyeon joked.

 

The other snorted. “Of what, your one-sided love?”

 

Hakyeon grimaced. “Damn Jaehwan, why are you acting so bitter?”

 

“I’m not.”

 

Hakyeon didn’t buy the stiff reply. “Did something else happen yesterday that I don’t know about?”

 

Jaehwan was silent for a moment. “No.”

 

His best friend sighed and sat down next to him. “What happened?”

 

Jaehwan bit his lip. God only knew how much he wanted to tell the other, but he was just not ready. “I’ll tell you some other time,” he replied – and Hakyeon merely accepted, saying nothing further.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

His blood ran cold when he heard the news. Jaehwan raced his tired legs to the room his friend occupied. He paused at the doorway. Leo was in his sight – the man sitting beside a resting Hakyeon, placing a rag over the latter’s forehead.

 

Jaehwan gulped, catching his breath as he watched the scene.

 

He made himself known with the clear of his throat. His senior looked surprised – it was the first time Jaehwan had seen that expression coming from the man.

 

A couple of minutes later, Jaehwan was left with Hakyeon – mind twirling with new found information. Food poisoning, he thought as he seethed with anger. He knew that witch had something to do with it.

 

The chocolate haired boy sighed as he stood up and stepped out of the room. He found a lone bench under the shade and took a seat – resting his head in his sweaty hands.

 

The sound of shoes scraping the pavement was heard, as it walked up to Jaehwan. The latter lifted his eyes to meet a bottle of chocolate milk – one of his favorites.

 

His dark orbs then scanned up to the figure offering the sweet drink – Kim Wonshik.

 

Jaehwan accepted the milk hesitantly. The other sat down next to him, wordlessly.

 

Wonshik eyed the boy who averted the soft gaze. “Is he okay?”

 

Jaehwan nodded, gripping tightly onto the cold bottle.

 

The blonde haired boy hummed. “Are you okay?” he asked after a moment. The other didn’t seem to know how to reply. It felt like he was trying to be comforted – but this was Kim Wonshik, so Jaehwan wasn’t sure what to imply.

 

The latter sighed then laughed dryly. “Are you really asking because you care?”

 

Wonshik’s eyebrows pinched, and Jaehwan immediately regretted the words. “Why would I ask if I didn’t?”

 

Another sigh left Jaehwan before he straightened his back. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean it like that.”

 

The other shook his head. “Don’t worry about it. I know if I was in the same position with Hongbin, I’d be upset too.”

 

Hongbin, the name rang in Jaehwan’s ears. He found that he disliked Wonshik saying the boy’s name. It was a ridiculous jealousy.

 

“Take your time,” Wonshik whispered. Jaehwan flinched when he felt a hand on his shoulder, rubbing consoling circles. It sent a shiver snaking down his body. He hoped the other didn’t notice.

 

The brown haired boy wanted to move away – to escape whatever the hell was going on. He hadn’t pegged Wonshik to be the touchy-feely kind of guy. Jaehwan sure as wasn’t, but there was just something to the blonde’s soft, attentive touches.

 

He felt like he had no choice but to let the man do as he pleased. Jaehwan didn’t like it.

 

So, they stayed like that until Wonshik’s shift ended, and the latter went home – leaving Jaehwan to wait for Hakyeon to wake up.

 

Through his jumbled mind, the scene of them still on the bench was too fresh, too real, and too ing much for Lee Jaehwan. The latter stared at his sleeping best friend.

 

“Have a nice worry-free sleep, you .”

 

 

Jaehwan cursed the memory. He cursed the situation, and himself – but most importantly, he cursed Hakyeon.

 

“Why are you glaring at me like that?” his messy haired friend asked, eyes narrowed.

 

“You were granted permission to take a day off today, why didn’t you take the offer?”

 

Hakyeon huffed, and eyed the pools. “What’s the point of taking a day off if I’m not getting paid? I feel better now anyways, thanks to Taekwoon.”

 

Jaehwan snorted. “So, you’re calling him Taekwoon now, instead of Leo? That’s interesting.”

 

The other blushed. “Worry about yourself,” he mumbled.

 

Jaehwan rolled his eyes.

 

“So, are you going to the fireworks festival tomorrow?” Hakyeon asked.

 

“I don’t know - my brothers want me to go, but they’re going with their girlfriends and I don’t really want to be a fifth-wheel.”

 

Hakyeon hummed. “Then let’s just go together; I didn’t last year.”

 

“Go where?” a sudden voice asked.

 

Both brown haired boys jumped, and turned around to find Wonshik looming over them with a faint smile, as if he was holding back a laugh.

 

“Jesus Christ, Wonshik! Don’t appear so suddenly like that,” Hakyeon frowned.

 

The blonde snickered before talking a seat between the duo. Jaehwan avoided making contact with him.

 

“You two going somewhere?” Wonshik asked, at the red popsicle he was holding onto.

 

“Yeah, the fireworks festival,” Hakyeon replied, casually. He took pride in himself for not being distracted by the intriguing scene.

 

Jaehwan, on the other hand, was tempted. He didn’t even bother looking at Wonshik.

 

“Cool, me and Hongbin were going too. Why don’t we meet and up and all just go together?”

 

Hakyeon and Jaehwan exchange a knowing look in silence.

 

“Sure,” both ended up agreeing, albeit a bit reluctant.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

The next day arrived rather quickly than anyone intended it to. The park was closed off this particular Sunday, thanks to the firework festival. The town seemed to be excited for it as always. Even the weather was looking forward to it, as it had been sunny all day and clear of any depressing clouds.

 

Hakyeon and Jaehwan were to meet Wonshik and Hongbin at the festival this evening. However, with so many people attending in groups, the duo wasn’t sure they would even see the other two.

 

The sun was beginning to go down, and families were finding their spots, preparing enthusiastically for the bright and colorful show.

 

After Jaehwan’s family resigned a spot for themselves, Jaehwan and Hakyeon left to explore the aisles of food venders and activity booths.

 

“It’s as busy as always,” Hakyeon commented, hanging onto Jaehwan, so they don’t separate from each other

Please log in to read the full chapter