Chapter 5

Jellyfish Waterpark
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It was moments like this when Cha Hakyeon would question why he even existed. Moments like this where God seemed to be so bored he decided to create a ridiculous and awkward scenario in an innocent person’s life for his own amusement.

 

Hakyeon cleared his throat as he watched Leo silently stare at the rusty door. “I don’t think it’s going to open unless you know psychokinesis,” he joked, chucking awkwardly.

 

Yep, he knew he was ed, because he thought even the deadly glare Leo sent him the next second was pretty.

 

1 hour earlier

 

It was finally the day Hakyeon could call himself a lifeguard. Stupidly, he found himself proud to be wearing the gaudy assigned uniform. He had all his necessary equipment (aside for the fanny pack because dear God no, just no) and stuck to his necessary assignment, which was to simply monitor the shallow pools where young children played and splashed around.

 

This kind of job put Hakyeon on the edge because he wasn’t used to watching over so many kids. Thankfully, he didn’t have to do it alone. Jaehwan and Hongbin were by his side.

 

“You’re drooling,” Hakyeon said to his best friend. The latter’s eyes were glued to their other co-worker, who got dragged away by a bunch of kids. Hongbin indulged happily in the Marco-Polo game they were playing.

 

“Damnit,” Jaehwan cursed. “On top of being an adorable bean, he’s even good with kids. This is torture.”

 

Hakyeon wasn’t even going to touch the ‘adorable bean’ part. “Yeah, it’s hard to believe that someone like him is still single.”

 

“Is he though?” Jaehwan wondered aloud.

 

Hakyeon shrugged. “Why don’t you go find out if you’re so curious?”

 

“I will if you do the same.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

Jaehwan snorted. “Don’t play dumb. I mean our senior of a few words, Leo. You’ve been eyeing him more than the steak we ate at the barbeque last night. You go ask him if he’s single, and I’ll go ask Hongbin.”

 

It was Hakyeon’s turn to scoff. “Are you the same scaredy-cat Lee Jaehwan I know? Stop bluffing, you won’t do it.”

 

“Wanna bet?”

 

Hakyeon’s eyes ran across the park, searching for Leo. The raven haired man was on duty surveilling the deeper pools with Wonshik and Heeyeon. Lucky, he thought, wishing to be in their places. Hakyeon sighed and looked at his best friend. “Okay, but what are we betting?”

 

Hakyeon didn’t like the wicked grin that danced upon Jaehwan’s full lips (that can even put Beyoncé to shame). (*Kenyoncé, never-forgetti)

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

Hesitantly, their game was set. Hakyeon was in a dilemma, however, as he wasn’t sure how to get Leo alone with him. They’ve barely even spoken a word to each other!

 

Jaehwan was at an advantage, since he was working with Hongbin today. So, how the hell was Hakyeon going to talk to Leo when they are working completely different areas? The answer: Kim-ing-Wonshik.

 

“Hey!” Hakyeon greeted the man, warily. He was immediately met with a smile and a pat on the shoulder.

 

“Hey, man! What are you doing here?”

 

“I was just exploring the park and thought I’d see how you were doing.”

 

Wonshik chuckled. “That sounds like an excuse.”

 

Hakyeon wiped the sweat off his forehead, nervously. “What?” he asked with an anxious laugh.

 

The blonde haired man shook his head. “Just be honest, you missed me.”

 

The other scoffed, eliciting another chuckle from Wonshik. “Aren’t you full of yourself,” he muttered. Even though I have admired the view of your abs and biceps every chance I could get.

 

“I’m just kidding,” Wonshik said, “but I can’t lie, I’ve missed being able to talk to you.”

 

Hakyeon tried not to choke. Tried.

 

“What the-? We talked yesterday…” Jesus H. Christ, was Hakyeon seriously blushing like a freaking bride right now?

 

“Still,” Wonshik continued, “It’s kind of awkward for me and Heeyeon right now. Leo isn’t exactly much of a talker. Our conversations have been very short from the start. I don’t know how we’re going to survive a week of this.”

 

“…I’m sure you two will manage. I bet Leo is feeling just as awkward as you are.”

 

Wonshik grinned. “Yeah, kind of difficult to tell though, since his expression is so stoic.”

 

Before another word could be uttered, the topic of their conversation called out to Wonshik. Hakyeon tensed at the sudden appearance of Leo, who just seems to be getting more beautiful by the mother-ing day.

 

“Yes?” Wonshik asked.

 

“I need you to watch over the group in the pool, a few forgot their life jackets so I’m going to go get them,” Leo replied, and holy has he always sound like this? The man was always quiet, so hearing him say anything was kind of rare. Now, that Hakyeon was up close, the man’s voice caught him by surprise. Can you be any more perfect?

 

“Do you need help? I’ll go with you.”

 

“No, I need you to stay here with Heeyeon.”

 

“Still, more than one life jacket is tough to carry by yourself,” Wonshik commented.

 

“I can help,” Hakyeon piped up; recovering from the shock he received upon hearing the voice of an angel.

 

“Right, let Hakyeon help out! He may look lanky, but he’s actually pretty strong,” Wonshik adds. Despite the high-key shade, Hakyeon was thankful that the man said anything before Leo had the opportunity to ask him why he wasn’t at his assigned place. Because the reality here was that he was slacking off. Shamelessly, he now has an excuse.

 

“Alright,” Leo simply agreed, before heading to the park’s storage room. Hakyeon silently followed behind, low-key fanboying. Is this what they call fate? He wondered.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

The storage area was more of a mini warehouse than a room. It was still on park grounds, not far from the boisterous water slides and tubes.

Please log in to read the full chapter