Chapter 7

Jellyfish Waterpark
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hakyeon x Jaehwan = Dank Duo confirmed

 

Not much has changed since the last time Hakyeon’s conversed with Taekwoon (which was three days ago).

 

Hakyeon didn’t really expect anything to – but he has been happier than he normally is. Everyone seemed to notice this as they confront the boy with teasing remarks. “You look like you’re a man in love,” they say. Hakyeon plays along with them, not quite agreeing with the observation, however.

 

Jaehwan knew otherwise – that what they say might as well be true. Hakyeon’s eyes turned into hearts every time he was around Leo.

 

The brown haired boy hasn’t told Jaehwan anything (the latter’s pretty much already figured it out already). He wasn’t curious over what happened between their senior and his best friend – whatever it was, he wished them the best.

 

It was the same for Hakyeon. Jaehwan had been acting strange the past couple of days, but he hasn’t said anything to Hakyeon about it, so the latter decided it was best to leave the boy to his own business. They both were silently grateful about it.

 

That was just their friendship.

 

Within the lines of friendship, Hakyeon was certain Taekwoon was starting to open up to him. His beloved kitten now acknowledged his existence with a wave of greeting or a goodbye. This may seem like nothing, but considering previous circumstances where Taekwoon would not even look his way – the simple polite actions were everything to Hakyeon.

 

The latter watched the familiar man from afar, a green straw hanging out his mouth as he sipped on some ice-tea. “I’m going crazy,” he muttered to himself.

 

Jaehwan side eyed his friend. “Drink some more,” he said. You thirsty .

 

Hakyeon gnawed on the straw when Taekwoon bent down to pick up a tossed away life jacket – giving the brown haired boy a nice few of his cute bottom. He mumbled to himself once again, giving Jaehwan the creeps.

 

“Can you not?”

 

“Not what?”

 

“Stare at our senior with those hungry predator eyes.”

 

“Sure, when you stop being a little prick and go ask dimples out on a date.”

 

Jaehwan’s mouth gaped as the other nonchalantly sipped his tea. “The ’s with the shade, jerk?”

 

“No shade, just a suggestion.”

 

“Suggestion, my . You are literally the last person to be giving dating advice.”

 

“, I’m in my element. Don’t worry about me, worry about your ‘bean’ that’s been giving you the puppy eyes all day.”

 

Jaehwan sputtered. “What? He has not.”

 

Hakyeon let out an exaggerated sigh. “Oblivious .”

 

Jaehwan snapped his mouth shut, refusing to refute as his eyes caught sight of Hongbin.

 

The boy was looking adorable as ever today – his pearly white teeth making their appearance once again as he conversed with a batch of hyped children. They seemed to always be attracted to him.

 

“I like him,” Jaehwan said, mostly to himself.

 

“No ,” his friend added.

 

“I like him,” he repeated – Jaehwan didn’t give a damn about Hongbin’s voyeuristic tendencies.

 

“So, go tell him.”

 

Hakyeon eyed Jaehwan as his friend let out a deep sigh. The latter leaned back into his sun chair. “Not yet.”

 

Hakyeon hummed, eyes averting back to his personal show.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

The brown haired boy sighed after he made it up the corridor steps to his apartment floor. The summer temperatures only seemed to increase these past couple of days.

 

The a/c was what he walked into when he opened the door to his accommodation. Home sweet home, he thought, before taking off his shoes.

 

Hakyeon froze at the sight of a pair of peach colored heels. They were too familiar – Hakyeon’s throat dried up when he heard the clanking of dishware against a wooden surface.

 

He composed himself as he slipped on a pair of house slippers and walked into his flat.

 

“Mom?”

 

An average sized woman stood with an icy demeanor in the middle of his kitchen, her clothes well-kept – scarcely a piece out of place. Her jet black hair swung in the tight pony tail she created as she turned to greet her son with a strong gaze. “You’re here?” she casually said, placing proper silverware to rest beside the meal she had prepared.

 

It was so neatly prepped, Hakyeon knew immediately there was something going on.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

Their eyes met, and Hakyeon refused to flinch at the cold tone of his previous caretaker’s words. “What, you don’t want me here? It’s hasn’t been that long since we last saw each other - have you already forgotten about me?”

 

Hakyeon refrained a sigh as he clutched the strap of his duffle bag. “Of course not,” he replied. “If I had known you were coming though, I could have cleaned up a bit.”

 

The elder woman eyed her son as she then placed refreshments onto the dining table, finishing up her desired duty. “Forget about that. Go wash up instead, and come have dinner.”

 

Hakyeon obliged, finding himself in a familiar position with the other – following her orders.

 

Once he got to the bathroom, the brown haired boy leaned against the door, suddenly exhausted. He didn’t know how he was going to endure this night.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

They ate their meal in a suffocating silence – another familiar and casual matter for the duo.

 

It was a shock to Hakyeon that his mother was the first to speak.

 

“Where were you?” she asked, without looking the boy in the eye.

 

Hakyeon finished swallowing his food before replying. “At work.”

 

“Work? What work?”

 

The young man was hesitant to say. “I’m a part-time lifeguard at Jellyfish Waterpark – started a week or two ago with Jaehwan.”

 

The clean-cut woman appeared skeptical for a moment. She nodded, taking a bite from her own bowl of food.

 

“How’s dad?” Hakyeon asked.

 

“He’s still breathing,” his mother replied automatically, as if she knew Hakyeon was going to ask that question.

 

The latter continued to stuff his mouth as a means to end the shaky conversation.

 

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

 

Don’t get him wrong, Hakyeon did not bear any ill feelings towards his mother or father. Ever since he was a young child however, he felt a distance between him and them. It didn’t help that he had once overheard his mother say that he was a mistake.

 

Since then, an invisible wall was formed – and a lonely need has attached itself to Hakyeon till this day.

 

“You’re what?” he blurted out of astonishment.

 

His mother gave him a look. “Did I stutter?”

 

Hakyeon bit his tongue. “I…only have one bed-“

 

“-and a couch. Don’t worry about me; it’s only for one night. You can’t expect me to drive when it’s already so dark out, do you?”

 

“…No, ma’am.”

 

The elder woman wore a pleased expression as she began to rummage through her bag. “I’m going to wash up, then.”

 

With that, Hakyeon was left to imagine a hole to hide himself in.

 

 

June 15, 2017 8:34 PM

Help me –HY

 

June 15, 2017 8:36 PM

What’s up? –JH

 

June 15, 2017 8:37 PM

My mom is here

 

Please log in to read the full chapter