Chapter five, A baby

Something New

"A pregnancy test? He asked. It's positive ! When did you took it ? When were you going to tell me ? He looked so angry and terrified, How... How is it even possible we've been... like this, for like... three weeks ? Four ? We always used protections ! Why is this happening ? Why didn't you tell me ?!
-It's not mine !
-What ?
-Calm down, please... I sighed, as terrified as him, please let me... sit, and think...
-But why..
-Bobby !"

He noded and sat on the couch, I sat right next to him, taking deep breath, was my sister pregnant ? Or was it an extremely bad joke to make me suffer ? I doubted that, she wasn't that bad, we had our troubles but we usually had each others backs. I took my phone and looked at the picture, I could feel Bobby was tossing around and was really expecting an explanation so I looked at him and took his hands in mine.

"Hey, I said calm down, you are a stubburn person aren't you ?
-It's hard to stay calm with that kind of fear..
-It's not mine, I swear, I guess it's my sister's and she probably needs my help right now so I have to leave. But I don't want to leave you if I feel you're... not ok with this.
-If you're sure it's not yours... He bite his lips, I can't be a father, I'm twenty-one, how could I ? I left my feelings overwhelme me, it's scary to become a dad, scarier to let you have a procedure and...
-It's over ok ? It's not mine, please, try to think of something else, watch a movie or something.. I'll call you soon, but I really have to see my sister.
-Yes.. I'm sorry I yelled at you.
-Nevermind.
-Serisously, don't let a guy yell at you, ever. He smiled, promised ?
-Promised."

I went back home, trying to reach Lucy, calling her, if she was really pregnant, that could explain her mood jumps, I didn't noticed if she was eating differently, or if she was sick... Since when was she pregnant ?
When she finally picked up the phone she didn't let me speak.

"I have work to do, stop calling I'll see you later!"

I went back home, she wasn't there yet, did she even know about mom finding the test ? My mom was cooking so I was able to avoid her until dinner, but when Lucy came back mom called my, she clearly wanted to confront us both. Dad was there too, sitting on the couch, not really sure about what he should say. Mom was the first to speak, she had put the test in a plastic bag.

"Who's is it ? She asked, I'm not jocking with this ! I found it in the bathroom ! Tell me !
-Mom, I said, you can't be angry...
-Is it yours ? She said ?"

I looked at Lucy, she was staring at her feets, and looked about to cry, she probably needed more time to figure things out, and I guessed she didn't wanted us to find out this way ...

"Yes, I said, it's mine."

Lucy suddenly looked to me, and I could see in her eyes how relieved and surprised she was, I wanted to take her in my arms, but I couldn't, I had to face our parents, for her.

"What ? My mom said, so you're... you're pregnant... I didn't even knew you were seeing someone..
-What are you going to do ? My dad asked calmly.
-
I...don't know yet..."

What an interesting question, if I was really pregnant, what would I do in that situation, what was Lucy going to do ?

"Did you told the guy ? My dad asked again, you have to. I want to meet him.
-That's... a little bit..
-It's an order Emma ! I want to meet him at once !
-I..I'll call him ! Can you all just... calm down.? Can I make someone some tea ?"

I left the room to do some tea, it aloud me to breath a little, I suddenly understood why Lucy didn't wanted to tell them right now.

"What a shame, I heard my mom,she's so young...
-It's our daughter Isabelle... we have to be there for her.
-She's only twenty and..what are the people going to think ?
-I'm more interested by what she thinks, and what the guy was thinking !"

I sighed, it was a nightmare. Lucy came to the kitchen too and she smiled.

"Thank you Emma, she whispered. I..
-You don't have to explain.. Just, try to make the right decision for you, is your boyfriend.. aware ?
-I didn't told him yet, I should right?
-Of course... You can't deal with this alone, and... for mom and dad... I'll handle them if I can..
-I'm so sorry it falls on you... and.. what's his name ?
-Bo... Jiwon. His name is Jiwon. But I don't think I'll involve him.
-Dad wants to meet someone he can call guilty... You know that don't you ?
-I'll find someone. Don't worry ok ? Just... Take care of yourself.
-Thank you so much..."

She went back with two cups of tea and I did the same,  I knew I could't just go to my room and act like nothing was going on.

"Have you got any morning sickness ? My mom asked, anything...you'd like to eat ?
-No.. I'm... I'm fine for now... It's only been... I actually don't know.
-I should take you to the doctor...
-I'll take her ! Lucy said.
-
Yes, we will be fine, I said, dad..?
-I don't know what to say Emma, I thought I raised you both well... And you're...careless, reckless... How could you do that..?
-It was an accident, dad don't be mad...
-How could I not be mad ?! Do you think about... keeping it ?
-Maybe !
-How would you raise him honey ? My mom asked, it's going to be a bastard...
-You should get married ! My father said, the sooner the better ! Bring us that boy and I'll discuss about it with him, man to man..
-I.. I'll see when he can...
-What ?! He put a baby inside you and he can't bother to come ?!
-It's not like that... I'll... give him a call...drink your tea..."

Even if I knew I wasn't pregnant and all these words probably hurt Lucy more than me, I was feeling depressed, my parents at first talked, then yelled, then talked again, and at the end I was sent to my room like a teenager.
I use that only moment to call Bobby, he didn't picked up so I left a short message, just to make sure he wasn't worried anymore.

"Hey, it's Emma, it was my sister's test as I thought but she isn't ready to tell her parents yet, so I'm buying her time pretending I'm the pregnant one, that might probably get in the way of our meetings for.. well some time. I also have to find some guy to carry the burden with me... I'll call you again when things get better here, I hope you'll have a nicer evening than me..."

I spend the rest of the night trying to be myself but not to much, at dinner I had to look sick, to act tired, well, to mimicate Lucy.
She went to my room a little bit later and sat on my bed.

"You know I... I never imagined this would happen so soon...She said.
-
You.. Do you know what you're going to do ? I mean it's a great responsabily... And you're only twenty four...
-I know, but my studies are going well, next year it should be over and..I can still study at home, even with a baby.. Hongmin already has a job in his father's company.. When I think of it I know we could actually raise that kid pretty well... But.. I heard mom and dad and they're right too, I mean, I'm still very young, I'm not married, I don't own a house or an appartment, I don't have a job.. I never thought I'll have to make that kind of choice, I thought I would get a job after graduation from college, work for two or three years, maybe in get married then and... a year or two after marriage have my first child..
-Looks like you're going to do backwards, I said with a smile, you want that baby don't you ?
-Yes... I ... I think I do. But I have to talk to Hongmin and.. prove mom and dad I can do it... Please stay... pregnant a few days...
-I will, anyway, my life was kind of dull until now so..
-Don't be stupid, she smiled, but don't copy me."

I laughed a little bit and my mom came in the room, Lucy quickly left and I gulped, I was terrified of that face to face.

"Emma... My little girl..She sighed, so... here we are, twenty years after your birth...You're going to have your own baby...
-Yes well...
-Stop trying to be casual about it, you always do that when something bad or different happens, you act like you don't care, or didn't noticed, but I know how you must feel inside... You feel lost, terrified, lonely.. Even if I don't aprove this at all, I want to make sure you know you're not alone, I still love you, even if you have disappointed me. What were you thinking ?
-I guess I wasn't.. I tried to smile as hard as I could, please mom you have to... stay open to my choices, whatever they will be. Promise me you'll try to be understanding...
-Of course...This.. Might be our first grand-child.
-Yeah...
-But it won't be a bastard, your dad is right, you have to introduce us to that guy and get married this summer before your belly starts to show up.
-I'm not sure about marriage...I mean, the father can still acknowledge his baby without getting married right ?
-Emma please, marriage is our condition to accept this ! You have to be understanding too !"

I sighed, at least Lucy was willing to get married, I was lucky it wasn't me. I made a secret vow of being even more careful about protections now. I definetly wasn't ready to face this myself.

"I remember when you were a baby...  How small and cute you were, I was so worried you wouldn't make it, you were so tiny...But really soon you also became really loud and needy, she laughed, you wouldn't sleep if someone wasn't with you in the room.
-Wo... How did you handle it ?
-I had to. Lucy was also often in your room, she really loved you from the beginning.
-She always was a nice person...
-Oh hell yes... Your sister's.. well, she is Lucy isn't she ?
-Yes, I smiled, I wish she was bringing the first grand-child in the family.
-Well.. She has plenty of time for that, it's not a contest, as long as you are both healthy and happy... Now, tell me more about the father, is he kind to you ?
-Oh... him, I looked around searching for what to say, he's nice... Very kind and.. careful.
-Does he knows ?
-I ..told him this morning. But we didn't talk since, I guess he have to... think.
-Yes, it's always harder for the men, he isn't the pregnant one, he doesn't realised it until the delivery.
-Even dad ?
-Specially your dad... She sighed, go on, what does he study ? Does he have a work ? Where is he from?
-He'll.. tell you himself.. You just have to know he is nice, the nicest...
-Are you in love with him ?"

I couldn't say yes, I couldn't say no, I didn't even knew who I was talking about. My mom stayed a little longer, and when she left I realised, it has taken us a pregnancy to be able to communicate again. Somehow, this baby growing inside Lucy, was bringing us closer.
I get to be not worried at all, I knew that if someone was able to have a baby this young, it was her, and I knew my parents would never abandon her.
The next morning I noticed Lucy was sick, for the first time I was able to notice the dark circles under her eyes, her pale face... My mom's attention, on the other hand, was focused on me.

"You look well today, she said, some women don't even get any sickness, maybe you're the lucky kind !
-Maybe.."

I was focused on Lucy, she looked ill, and she left really early after breakfast, probably to meet Hongmin. I was wondering, was he really ready ? I sighed, hoping everything would be alright and she would soon be the most beautiful bride the world has ever seen.
She came back later in the afternoon, not willing to talk, so I let her alone, she needed to think, but I was worried Hongmin wanted her to abort their baby. They were together for five years now, they had nothing to fear.. I was heading to her room, after an hour of waiting, when someone knocked at the door. Hongmin ?
My dad opened and looked surprised, talking to the guy standing at the door.

"Hi, what can I do for you ?
-Hello, my name's Bobby, I'm looking for Emma's parents ? I guess you're her dad ? I'm glad to meet you, she told me you wanted to see me so here I am.
-You're the father of..
-Yes, that's me !"

To be continued ~