ch6.2

Pretense

Sowon's POV

"Omma I'm home!" I screamed as I took off my shoes at the entrance.

"Sojung?? Is that you??"

"Yeah mom." I said as she came out of her bedroom in her pajamas. I should have thought about it clearly before going home. It was already 10pm. She was probably going to bed. Shock was written all over her face. She reached in for a hug and I hugged her back as tight as I could. I didn't want to let go.

"We are still off tomorrow and I really miss you so I asked if I could stay here tonight. Don't worry there's nothing wrong except for I really really really miss you Omma!!!" I told her before she could ask. She hugged me tighter in response. Breaking the hug, I then put my hands on her shoulders and looked at her face. I wanted to remember her face even as I take my last breath. I don't want to forget her.

"Yah don't stare at me Sojung. Change and come to the kitchen. I will make you something to eat and maybe we can do something together if you're not too tired?" She excitedly said looking at me with wide eyes.

"Ohh yess please, I missed your cooking a lot! Of course we can do something together. We barely see each other nowadays, I'll never be too tired for you omma." But I'm so tired, of everything.

With that she headed to the kitchen and I watched her retreating figure before heading to my room to change.

Omma, what would you do if you knew what I had planned? I'm sorry.

----------------

It was already 2am by the time we had both decided it was time fo us to go to sleep. All night we talked about anything and everything then watched a movie. I had found out that she had trouble sleeping because she was so worried for me but I managed to assure her that I was okay. Dark bags were clearly visible on her face and I couldn't help but blame myself. I caused it. It was my fault she was exhausted.

 I'll miss you mom. You and your cooking. 

I realised I said that thought out loud when the credits stopped rolling and she said "Yah I'll make you breakfast tomorrow before you head back to your dorm. And I'll be around for a long time to pester you to make up for the time my celebrity daughter lost with me due to her busy life." She was chuckling. I used to find it funny too but not this time,

But omma, what if I'm not around anymore?

"Ohhh yeah I forgot about that. And of course, I know that already, you always tell me" I said and pretended to laugh. I guess my fake smile and laugh was believable as she stood up from the couch laughing too. I won't have to pretend any longer.

Both headed to our separate rooms, we said goodnight but I stopped in my tracks. I have to say this. 

"Saranghae, eomma. And thank you and also sorry for many things"

She too stopped and turned towards me.

"WOWW why so random my daughter?.." she said with hint of amusement yet also worry in her voice. She walked to me, wrappe her arms around my neck enveloping me into a hug.

"I love you too, my daughter. I don't know why you're acting extra sweet to me but whatever it is, if you did something wrong or you have good news or there's something wrong that you can't tell me, I'll always be here for you."

My heart ached at her words.

With my head buried under her shoulder, I nodded my head and whispered

"I am so sorry" but not enough for her to hear it.

 

 

Will your smiles still be able to reach your eyes when I am gone?