ch5

Pretense

Everyone was worried for Sojung. They had tried to talk to her to no avail. She would only brush off their concerns saying "I'm fine. Nothing to worry about. Stop turning this into a big deal." before walking off, not giving the others a chance to protest.

The members missed both Sowon and Sojung. Sometimes no matter how tired they were they actually preferred having schedules. Because there, they would see Sowon and bits of the Sojung unnie they knew. It seemed as if Sowon was just a robot, not doing or saying anything unless required.

No one knew what was going on in her head and how she felt. Sojung herself was sure either. Sometimes she would be thinking of what was better ; her caring about the haters and feeling or her being numb. There was no day in which she didn't think of hurting herself. She couldn't stop, especially ever since she became numb. Cutting made her feel something. It gave her a reminder that she was still alive.

Even though she wasn't able to feel much anymore, she still cared for the members, family and friends. She didn't want them to be concerned or stressed because of her. She wanted to reach out to them. To let them know what was going on. But the thoughts in her head stopped her from doing so.

Little did she know, everyone was being affected by the change and coldness in her. The members stopped going out on their free days, worried that at one point the leader would actually want to talk to them but they wouldn't be there. She barely talked to anyone including her family. Her mother struggled to sleep each night thinking of what could be wrong with her daughter. Everyone was careful around her.

---

One day, one of the members finally exploded.

It was their many rare day offs and all the girls were in the dorm. Everyone except their leader were sitting in the sitting room sharing worried, anxious glances at one another. It was already 4.30pm yet Sojung had not gotten out of bed even once all day. The only responses they got out of her were "Later. I'm tired" when Yerin asked her what time she's getting up at, "I'm not hungry" when Umji asked her to eat and "Close the door. Turn the lights off.".

Everytime they checked on her she was either on her phone facing away from the door or with her eyes closed with her earphones on.

Soon enough, it was dark outside and the girls couldn't take it any longer. In agreement, they all went to her room to try and make her get up to talk to them or at least eat.

"Unnie please get up." Yuju said as she pulled the curtains from the bed open. Eunha and Umji nodded and agreement. Yerin the lights.

"Later Yuna-ah" the leader said with her eyes closed,not notcing that all the members were surrounding her.

When no one responded she opened her eyes only to see all the members with concern etched on their faces. She sat up, planting her feet on the floor.

"Please go. I'm tired."

Then SinB who was just staring at her the entire time spoke up.

"Yah unnie.. I'm sorry if I'm about to get angry or about to scream at you or anything like that but come to your senses. Can't you see what you're doing to us?! Everyone's worried about you. Even the fans.You stopped hanging out with us, barely smile or laugh. You only eat when you're told to. You sleep all the time yet you would still say you're tired. We can barely concentrate because of you!! Sometimes some of us would cry because of you!! You stopped talking to everyone including your family. I bet you don't even know that your mother can't sleep night because of how worried she is or how sometimes she would talk to us on the phone crying. It's like you're a robot. We care so much about you, you're important to us yet we can't do a damn thing to get you to talk to us. We feel so useless. It's like you're a robot. We feel like we've lost you"

Everyone was shocked. They were glancing at SinB and Sowon back and forth. SinB who began screaming half-way was now sobbing. Sojung was also shocked but she quickly covered it up.

"Can you imagine how we feel? Watching someone we care about, maybe way more than ourselves, change into a cold person yet everything about her screams out that there's something wrong? I know you barely open up to us but it's worse now unnie. It's like you built up a wall around yourself that none of us can ever break down."

Everyone's heart ached. Including Sojung's

"You're bringing us down unnie." SinB whispered.

As she said those words, something inside Sojung snapped. 

Heart ache, guilt, sadness, anger, hatred. She could feel it all. She didn't expect it coming at all.  The voices too were back. Everything was back, worsr than she could ever imagine. She found it harder to breathe.

Abruptly standing up, she began to pack things into her bag, changed and slipped her shoes on shocking the members even more.

Ignoring the pleas of the members, she headed for the door, trying her best not to break down in front of them.

 

"I'm sorry" was all she said as she left.