nine

the song

A/N: I was too excited to post this tomorrow that I just decided to post it now. Here is my graduation gift for you guys, enjoy! <3

***

 

Weeks have gone by since that Jam Jam discussion. She has already completed making the album. One of her singles, ‘Through The Night’ was just being released. Time has flown by and a lot of blood, sweat and tears have been shed during that period.

Yet words said by Sunwoo Jungah still echoed in her mind. She couldn’t help but compare it with her love life. Unnie was right. She really did perceive her relationship with Kiha as if it’s going to be the only true relationship she will ever have in her entire life. She should have been more willing to open up her heart completely to someone new. Someone like him. That dragon. That unparalleled artist. Kwon Jiyong. She misses him. She misses him a lot. She misses talking to him over the phone or texts him randomly when she wants to hear a different perspective. She misses his lame jokes, his playful nature. She misses the feeling she gets after their every conversations. He makes her feel inspired. He makes her feel like she’s not alone in the lonely entertainment industry. He makes her feel like they are both equal despite his seniority. She misses him.

She knows that she should have just returned his calls and messages. Yes, even up until today, that boy does not stop trying his luck to reach her. There are far too many times when she almost wanted to just pick it up. Especially since his SNS (yep, she checks his SNS once in a while for updates) alludes to the fact that he is going through a really stressful period – he is preparing for his upcoming album after all.

She told herself that she would pick up his next call (well, that’s what she told herself for the nth time). She should just give whatever this is a chance. But there is still a small something that is still holding her back. However, one thing for sure is that when she is ready, she would be that person to reach out to him, be there for him. That’s a promise.

Suddenly, she could hear her phone rings. Who could it be? Jiyong? Maybe this is the moment for her to start answering his call. She thinks she is ready enough to do so. She grabs her phone on the table and checks the caller ID. Her heart starts to beat faster upon seeing it, her palms begin to sweat. She never thought she would ever see this caller ID again. It’s been a while since he called. It’s Kiha. “Hello,” she answers, trying to steady her tone.

“Hello, Jieun ah. It’s been a while.” She could imagine his small smile when saying that. “I just want to say congratulations on your latest single. The song is really good.”

“Oh…” feeling rather flustered. “Thank you very much, oppa. Really appreciate it.” It feels nice to hear his encouraging words again.

“Hyuk told me that he collaborated with you for your next album. It’s going to be your next single right?”

“Yep, I am going to start promoting it tomorrow. It’ll be out soon.”

“Oh, great. Anyways, Jieun ah…” He pauses for a second. “How are you doing? Are you doing alright?” he asks with concern.

“I’m doing okay oppa. A little busy, a little stressed out but I’m okay. Are you, oppa?”

“Of course, Jieun ah. Don’t worry about me. Also, Jieun ah…” He pauses. “I’m sorry I couldn’t wait for you. I’m sorry I couldn’t be that guy for you anymore.”

“I know oppa. I understand.” It hurts her to say that even though they have broken up for months now. Sure, it no longer hurts her as much as before but he was still her first love. A part of her will always still love him, no matter what.

“But Jieun ah, you deserve to be happy. You should be happy. Any guy is lucky to have you. He would be so lucky to have you. And when that time comes, I sincerely hope that he will treasure you the way you deserve to be treasured.”

*

Today is just one of those days where thoughts about Jieun manage to flood his mind. Their first interaction, their last interaction, that time in KCON, those moments in Mudo, that night when she called him for help, those moments while making Palette, their random calls and texts, that night in Itaewon, that kiss... he replays it all inside his mind. It would be hard to ever move on from that girl. That Jieun ah.

He misses her. He couldn’t stop thinking about her. Everything reminds him of her. The flowers in his house, that fridge – everything. He wishes he could see her. He wishes he could hear her voice – he has been replaying the guide version of Palette that she sent him for the rap making. He misses her. It doesn’t help that she hasn’t been responding to any of his calls or text messages. Is she avoiding him or is she just busy?

Whatever it is, he is a mess without her. He hasn’t even taken care of himself. He hasn’t showered. He barely eats. He hasn’t shaved his facial hairs which for some reason made it to news (do people honestly really care about whether or not he shaves?). It also doesn’t help that he is currently preparing for his upcoming mini album.

Maybe it is a blessing in disguise that things turn out this way. He would not be able to record his songs if things worked out with Jieun. He would not be able to tap into the sad and lonely emotions that are needed to be conveyed in his songs – he would be too happy. He was in an emotional mess writing those songs with one girl in mind yet now, he is in an emotional mess recording those songs with another girl in mind. Who knew things would turn out this way?

But yes, once he is done recording his upcoming album, he would make it his personal mission to personally court her. Heck, he was fuming with jealousy when she posts the teaser video of her and Oh Hyuk promoting their upcoming single in her SNS (yep, he checks her SNS once in a while for updates). He low-key was always jealous of him even ever since the music festival. Not only did the guy have a really nice voice and that the music he makes is really good, Jieun was always really fond of him. It also doesn’t help that those two hit it off as friends as soon as they film the show. er. He lights up the cigarette in his hand and smokes it away. He grabs the Chamisul soju on the table and drinks it all in. The least he could do right now is to try to finish these drinks before his enlistment. Yes, that’s the mission.

He was so caught up with these emotions that all of a sudden, he hears his door bell ringing. Dang it, who could be ringing his door at this hour? Do deliverymen still deliver items at this hour? Not that he ordered anything recently. But then again, after receiving that fridge, anything could happen – be it things he ordered or things he did not order. He heads to the front door and checks its CCTV. Upon checking it, he is surprised. He couldn’t believe it that he rubs his eyes over and over again. He couldn’t be that drunk to imagine seeing her, right? Right?

He opens the door to see that it’s true, it is the girl who is on his mind. Lee Jieun. “Jieun ah.” He had imagined the moment he could finally say that to her after all this time and to see it finally happened, wow. He misses saying that to her.

“Hello, oppa,” she says. This is it. This is going to be the day. “Can I come in?” she awkwardly asks him.

“Sure, sure.” He ushers her inside. “What are you doing here?”

“Have you eaten, oppa?” avoiding the question and his eye. She is not ready to say what she needs to say to him yet. “Do you want some bulgogi? I can cook them for you.” He finally notices the black plastic bag in her hand and sees the ingredients to make one inside.

“Oh yeah, sure. Oppa is starving.” She has probably already planned to make him some food today. But why… he is willing to find out. That is why he is going to just adhere to whatever it is she wants to do. Cause God, it’s been a while since they have interacted ever that he is willing to do anything to keep it that way.

She makes her way inside his apartment and realizes that wow, it is different from what she expected. She thought that it would scream pretentious due to his expensive taste for artworks. But in reality, the artworks hanging around the walls actually seem to balance the homey feel of his place. His place is also pretty neat, which does not really come off as a surprise to her due to his clean freak behaviour. “Nice apartment,” voicing out her thought. “Where is the kitchen?” She looks at him expectantly.

“Ah, it’s just there.” He points at her intended destination. “Do you want me to help?”

“No, it’s okay oppa. Just give me few moments, okay? Just sit back and carry on with whatever it is you were doing before I came. I’ll be quick.” She gives him a quick smile before heading to the kitchen.

Who knew Jieun would appear in front of him at this moment. Did he pray that much just to see her? Cause wow, he feels blessed to just see her, let alone talk to her again and have her cook for him. This would be the first time a girl cooks for him (other than his noona) in this kitchen in a while – the last person being Kiko which is basically, ages ago. His mum cooked for him here before though but nowadays, he would rather just go to the family house to get a taste of it. 

But wow, who knew.

*

“Mmmm, Jieun… this is actually really good!” He indulges himself with the bulgogi made. He did not realize that he was actually this hungry until he had a taste of this. Man, he should really eat more.

“Thanks oppa, I’m glad you like it.” Any moment, she would have to tell him. She did not just gather up her courage to come all the way to his place from hers to just cook him food. “How have you been doing, oppa? Are you doing alright?” she asks with concern. Yes, that would be the best start to bring it up.

“Honestly Jieun ah, it’s been hell lately. I know how stressful album making is but every single time, it just feels like there are more things at stake,” he answers truthfully.

“I know how you feel. That’s how I felt when making Palette. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you when you started it.”

“It’s okay, Jieun ah. I’m sure you were really busy.”

“I was.” She pauses for a second. “Anyways oppa, there’s a reason why I came here.” This is it. She breathes in before continuing. “I just want to say I’m sorry for not responding to your calls or texts before. I was busy yes but that was not the main reason why I did it. The truth is, Jiyong, I was scared.”

He stares back at her. He doesn’t know how to feel. He could feel his heart beating faster by the minute.

“I was scared of my feelings for you. I don’t know if it is wise to feel something for you. I don’t know if I should do anything about it. Heck, I don’t even know if you feel the same way for me. I ask to myself maybe this is just in my head, maybe that kiss is just from the heat of the moment and that I am making a big deal out of it. All sorts of maybe really but…” she lets out whatever it is that is inside her head, no matter how incoherent it is.

Until he leans closer to her and dives in for a quick kiss. “I like you too, Jieun ah. You are blind to not realize how much I am into you.” He dives in again for another kiss, this time with more passion. He could feel the desperation he felt for her pouring out from the kiss. No words needed to be said on how much he has been waiting for this moment.

She comes to reciprocate the kiss, also equally with the same passion he gives. This is what she has been missing. Finally.

*

“Hi oppa,” she awkwardly grins, mere moments after that kiss.

“Hi Jieun ah”, he equally awkwardly reciprocates, with that cheeky grin on his face.

“Oppa, you seriously need to shave whatever this is. It doesn’t suit you.” She gently brushes the facial hairs that he has been neglecting to shave.

He nods back at her, agreeing to her statement before pulling her in for a tight hug.

“I miss you,” he affectionately says to her.

“I miss you too.” She puts her arms around his waist, reciprocating his hug.

In this moment, they are really truly happy.