three

the song

A/N: Sorry for the slight wait. Was having a minor writer's block. But after hearing GD's amazing mini album (Untitled, 2014 gives me the major feels!), it made me want to update the story... no matter how short it is. Anyways, hope you enjoy this chapter and let me know in the comments which of his songs from his album is/are your favourite? Personally, I love Untitled, 2014 and Superstar the most, with the intro and outro being so close behind them! <3

***

 

They do eventually meet after the phone call: one week later at LOEN Entertainment. This would be the first time they meet since the music festival.

At this instance, Jieun is waiting outside the building for him to arrive. She could feel her eyes being rather heavy. A good quality of sleep has been something she desires lately but it’s not something she could now attain – not with the countless of worries that are cascading in her mind, i.e album preparation. Just yesterday, she was working the whole night, recording an upcoming song with Oh Hyuk. As a result, she could only manage to get two hours of sleep. It’s okay. She’s been through this before. She just needs to get some caffeine in her system. ‘You can do this,’ she tells herself that over and over again.

Before she knows it, she could see G-Dragon walking towards her from afar. How did she manage to pluck up the courage to ask him for help? Sure they have worked with each other before and that they are not just mere acquaintances as a result, he is still not someone she could just for example grab a coffee with. There are still some boundaries. A lot of boundaries. For one, they are still not on proper first-name basis with each other: he is still G-Dragon to her. Not Kwon Jiyong, another person who is in the same industry as her. And she the same to him: she does not think he has ever called her ‘Jieun’ before. It doesn’t help that he is super successful at what he does. Celebrities’ celebrity – even fellow celebrities still get star-truck just by looking at him up close. At some point, she does want to get to know him and be friends with him… but that concept just seems foreign to her. He is just on another level of success to the point that he just seems so intimidating. ‘You can do this. I’ve got this.’ That thought passes by her mind as she waves at him.

Upon his arrival, she awkwardly bows at him. “GD sunbaenim, it’s been a while.” She gives him a smile, asserting a small confidence she could muster.

He returns the bow. “It certainly has been a while, IU-shi.” Extending one of his hands to her, she realizes that he is holding out a Starbucks recyclable cup to her, another hand of his is also holding another similar cup – “Coffee?” he asks. “I hope you like macchiato.”

She was so taken aback by his kind gesture that it takes her more than a few seconds to respond. “Thank you, sunbaenim,” she finally says. “Shall we go in?”

*

He does not know what it is but he could feel a sense of ‘untouchable’ with the girl who is sitting right beside him. They both fleeted at the shallow talks – ‘How’s the album preparation, IU-shi?’ ‘It’s going alright, sunbaenim. How was the tour?’ – This and that, nothing that would cross the boundary or open the possibility of becoming close. Even to ask her about her interests is stretching it.

As much as he wants to limit the amount of time spent with her so that he could be a bit free or start on the many upcoming activities he decides to get involved in, he does want to make the most of it and get to know her better. But she’s making it quite difficult to cross that line.

She is too polite, that’s the problem. He wouldn’t blame her if this was the first time that they worked with each other. But they have: two years ago. Shouldn’t there be some sense of familiarity or something? He is trying to keep the momentum going but it has been rather exhausting to the point that he is on the verge of just giving up. For all he knows, it’s probably not her fault. Maybe it is him who just can’t seem to connect with her. He can’t quite master the art of making close connections easily like Seungri. ‘Let’s just do the work that I need to do,’ he thought to himself.

As if she could sense the beginning of an awkward silence, “shall I play you the song, sunbaenim?” she asks. He nods to her, signaling his answer.

Just like what he expected, the song is good, from the catchy melody to the smooth silky voice as he hears the ‘like it’ part at the start before the first verse. As the song progresses, there is something that catches his attention. The lyrics... they feel so personal. It feels like he is reading the deepest part of her mind. To think that they come from someone he couldn’t cross line with. He likes it. He likes it a lot.

He glances at her for few seconds, noting how she is fidgeting her hands and how she is holding her breath. He could tell that she is nervous. For what reason, he does not know. If it’s about the song, she shouldn’t be. He could foresee that the song would be a success just like her any other hits. But if it’s for anything other than that, he doesn’t know. Is it him she’s nervous about? He still could not get used to this type of reaction from other fellow entertainers despite the many years of being in the industry.

Aish.

*

“So what do you think of the song, sunbaenim?” IU asks him after playing him a guide version of Palette from her laptop. She could feel her heart beats louder by the second. She wants this song to work out. She tried to observe his reactions when playing the song but his face remained unreadable. Maybe the song is too childish for his liking. Come on, who sings about liking pajamas and lipsticks, and expects a guy like him to find it good?

“It’s actually a really good song, IU-shi… I like it,” he says in a matter-of-fact.

She could feel the weight on her shoulders slowly disappears. That’s good that he likes the song, at least. “I see, what do you suggest we do?” she answers.

“Adding a bridge should do the trick. Perhaps even a rap part, it would bring a unique part to the song.”

“Okay, GD sunbaenim.” She nods, absorbing the advices and suggestions given.

“You know you can call me Jiyong right?” he says. “You know you can be comfortable with me if you want. We’ve worked with each other before anyway.”

She turns to face him, wondering how did he manage to read her mind. Is she just that open-book? She shields away any possible expressions that would give away her true emotions now and tries to remain calm. Coolly, she says, “Okay. Likewise, feel free to call me Jieun, Jiyong…” – she pauses for a second. She is still not that comfortable with just calling him ‘Jiyong’ so she decides to end it with - “sunbae.”

“Sunbae is also a bit too formal, Jieun-shi. No need to add honorifics.”

“All right, Jiyong… oppa?”