six

the song

A/N: Just some filler chapter for you guys. Enjoy!

***

 

“So what do you think?”Jiyong asks Jieun over the phone on a random Thursday night. He had just sent her a rough recording of his rap for Palette along with the lyrics just a few moments ago. “Do you like it?”

“Of course I like it, oppa! Anything you write is good,” she remarks, not realizing that she is unconsciously flirting with him. It is a good thing that he did not pick it up for he is also equally clueless about it. For someone who knows the laws of the mind-games really well (one could argue that he is the master of playing those games), he sure is rusty with it… at least when it comes to Jieun.

“I’m glad.” He smiles to himself, mentally patting himself on the back. Even though the rap-making process was relatively easy for him, with the words just keep on flowing, it still feels good to hear from someone else, especially someone like her, that it is, well, good. “Anyways, when should we meet up for the recording?”

“Hmm, I’m not sure. I’ll have to check with Jonghoon oppa when is he not busy.”

“Ah okay. So how’s your day?” It has been a frequent thing for him to ask her that question. He is genuinely interested about her life. That includes her day-to-day activities, her interests, etc. Of course, this is all because they are friends and friends are interested in what the other is doing… right?

“Honestly, not much… it’s pretty much just work the whole day. I’m dying from exhaustion!” She heaves a sigh. Album preparation has seriously taken a toll on her. It is her first fully self-produced album after all. Everything has to be perfect. But sometimes, it just feels like the work is just too much for her to handle. It’s not just finishing her album that she has to do (she has two more songs to record left until she’s done: Palette and this other song she’s working on with Sunwoo Jungah), she has some music videos to shoot, CFs, etc. So during these moments of weakness, it feels nice to just let it all out to someone… especially if that someone is him. Wait, what? “How about you? Enlighten me with whatever fun activities that you were doing, oppa,” she quickly adds, trying to clear her thoughts.

Okay, so maybe she does fancy him. She admits that. However, she doesn’t know if this is going to go anywhere. He is too cool, he wouldn’t be interested in someone like her. Besides, he is probably just an eye candy for her, a mere distraction for her to heal herself and completely move on from Kiha. That’s what she tells herself. He’s just some guy whom she has a shallow crush on… right?

*

Jonghoon doesn’t know why he feels this way but he seriously feels out of place in this recording studio. And this is his second home. Deep down, he knows why though and it’s because of the two of them. If Jieun is the Nation’s little sister, then he feels like he is the Nation’s third wheel. One would be rather blind to not notice the romance brewing between those two.

It feels weird. It is not that he is jealous of G-Dragon or anything but it just doesn’t sit right with him – to see her possibly falling in love with some guy and to witness it all with his own eyes, it just feels strange. He feels strangely overprotective over her. He couldn’t help it. This was the girl who sang Lost Child, a song he had a hand in composing and producing. It was also her debut song… and that was almost ten years ago. Who knew time flies by so fast? She has grown up. He could not help but feel like he has just watched his own little sister has slowly blossomed over the years without him realizing it.

There she is, singing ‘I’m 25’, emphasizing her age with glee. He glances at the rapper who is currently sitting beside him, waiting for his cue to do the rap. He notices how the rapper has that look on his face, how he is smiling at her with his own eyes. The girl also shares a look at him, equally reciprocating the smile with shyness.

He gulps down a glass of water, trying to keep his expressions to remain as professional as possible. As much as he is a close friend to Jieun, especially after the making of Chat-Shire, it is not his business to interfere. She is a responsible adult and he is pretty sure that she can handle this since she was in a serious relationship with someone else before. Using the words from Palette, she’s got this.

*

After more than 3 hours of recording, they are finally done with recording the song. It was already almost late in the night and Jieun feels utterly satisfied. Just one more song that needs to be consulted and recorded along with a final review of the whole album, then she’s finally done with the album-making. Content. Relief. That’s how she feels. Because of that, she really wants to go…

“Clubbing. Let’s go clubbing, oppa!” Jieun excitingly says to Jiyong. She could use some form of reward for all the hard work she’s done. Even though she’s not the kind of person who frequently goes to such places, for some reason she just wants to go there right now.

‘Hmm, what?’ Jiyong thought to himself. Since when? “Jieun ah, are you sure? Just a few hours ago, you said you were tired –“

“And now, I’m energized. Come on, oppa. I want to celebrate. Please, oppa? For me?” she pulls out an aegyo look on her face, a look she barely use but once used, consider lethal.

Especially now, as it seems to be really effective on her target. “Okay, okay. Let’s go out then!” he gives in.

And without them realizing it, it is going to be the night that changes everything.