Four - The Knight (Part II)

That Summer I Left Neverland
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kaeon and I are now strolling at The Groove. It's a botanical park located just beside the food center we came to earlier. Good thing, the heat has decreased and now is a great time for an afternoon walk.


We followed a familiar path near the man made lake beside the Japanese Garden. He jogged ahead of me, a playful smile on his face. I stopped and watched him step into the gazebo we used to practice to. Once I saw him in the center of the gazebo I walked faster to catch up to him. I don't really know what he's planning on doing, I'm just going with the flow. 

 

"Seventh Grade Dance Class, remember?" He was staring up the clear ceiling where the sunlight was shining through.

 

I smiled and nodded. I remember it clearly. The day I became good friends with him.

 

I ran as fast as I can. It's a Saturday so I'm used to sleeping in until late morning. If it wasn't for my Mom I would've still be in bed. I forgot to put an alarm and I'm so sure he will be pissed off.

 

As I neared the gazebo we agreed on meeting at I slowed my pace and peeked through the rows of trees to see if he was there. 

 

See, our teacher had a 'new and fun' way of choosing partners for her Urban Dance class. Mrs. Braun thought it was cool to draw a student's name from a snapback she took from one of my classmates. And because I am lucky I got paired with Kleighton's estranged cousin (whom we tried to catch the whole summer) and it was awkward I tell you. Awkward. We didn't really talk much during the time we were supposed to at class. It was more of him asking and me directly answering without any follow up question (like how a normal conversation would go). I didn't know why, but maybe that summer when he just avoided us like a plague, somehow affected my first impression of him. 

 

It was Kleighton who enlightened me about his cousin, saying that he's always been a shy kid and that he was still in his adjustment period. And with that he gave me Kaeon's number and that's how we ended up. Me being an hour late and him sitting at the steps of the  gazebo, looking like a lost puppy. 

 

I ran up to him, I could barely speak because God knows I hate running. I had both hands on my knees trying my best to catch up some air, I was practically heaving and thought I was about to pass out. The crisp Autumn air not really helping me right now. Then I saw him stand up, I thought he was beyond mad and was about to leave but instead he reached inside his backpack and handed me a bottle of water. Confused by his action, I wordlessly took the bottle and muttered a thank you.

 


A few gulps of water later I managed to recover from being a wreck.

 

"I'm really sorry for being late. I know it was me who arranged this whole thing and I ended up being an hour late. I'm really really sorry! If you want, we can just -" he cut me off.

 

"It's okay. Kleigh hyung actually told me about the possibility of you being late so it's fine. Being a Saturday and all. So you rest for a bit then we can start?" He smiled. I couldn't really process what he was saying and all I could do was nod. 

 

I didn't expect that kind of reaction from him. We b

Please log in to read the full chapter