Hospital

A Flame in the Distance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few years ago, at Seoul Police Station.

 

"Dear rookies of our Patrol Unit, now I will announce your mentor's name, okay? Listen carefully and once your name is called, come upfront," Captain Koo Jacheol said and started reading the name from the list.

"Lee Joowon, your mentor is Liutenant Lee Chaerin. Park Hyungsik, your mentor is Liutenant Jung Yunho," and the Captain glanced at the next name he was going to mention, "Koo Junhoe, your mentor is Sergeant Lee Jinwoo."

Junhoe nodded understandingly and sighed a bit. He used to hear a lot about the so-called Sergeant, and he really hated how his father paired him up with that officer instead of other officers.

He heard that the Sergeant was very lazy and would always let the officer of lower rank than him to do everything. He really didn't like that Sergeant, not even one bit. But, he couldn't deny his own father's order. His father was the Captain, after all.

"Kang Daniel," and when the said boy came to the front, the Captain smiled and uttered with a friendly gesture, "You are with me, handsome boy."

Junhoe frowned seeing how ecstatic Daniel looked to get his father as his mentor. After all, every rookie dreamed to be mentored by his father. Why? Because his father was not that kind of strict and conceited high rank officer. He has his own relaxed and informative way of mentoring, which was why everyone wanted him.

As everyone went to their own respective patrol car, Junhoe turned to look at his mentor who seemed lazy as ever and threw him the car key. Junhoe sighed quietly, thinking of how true the gossip after all.

 

For the first night duty, Junhoe learnt about night club raid for underage customers and so on, handling drunken people and even calming fighting citizens near the convenience store. Though he didn't like the Sergeant, but he still should give a huge respect for the other for his professionalism and nice way of handling the situation of various circumstances. It was no wonder he has higher rank, after all.

"Stop here," Sergeant Jinwoo said when they arrived at a tent bar.

As Junhoe turned off the engine, Sergeant Jinwoo said, "You take over from here. I have taught you and showed you everything. So, now you should do everything by yourself."

After saying that, he opened the door and Junhoe anxiously called him, "Sir, where are you going?"

Sergeant Jinwoo realized something and answered, "I'm going to meet the Commander here. You can continue patrolling the area and if you find drunk people, take them to the station like how I showed you before. If everything is fine, you can go ahead to the station without me and give the taser gun back like usual. Okay? Anything you don't understand?"

Junhoe was speechless. Okay, now he just left him by himself? No more monitoring him? What the hell? He should at least monitor him, didn't he? But without him getting to say anything, Sergeant Jinwoo gave a soft pat on his shoulder and walked out of the car into the tent bar.

Junhoe cursed into the air, "The is that man?"

He started the engine again with a fiery heart and started driving back into the street that his father used to tell him that many drunk teens took that path and out by themselves. His father often brought people from that street near the night club there, known as YG Club, owned by the YG Gang, or so he heard.

 

At the same time, during night at the club.

 

"I think I'm in love with your cousin."

Jiwon stopped sipping his drink upon hearing the sudden confession. Heck, the two of them were chatting freely about some silly things, like usual, while enjoying the musics blasting into their ears, when, the other just abruptly held Jiwon's hand softly, to whisper the words. With his eyes looking so sincere and eager and happy and-

Jiwon didn't know anymore.

He tried to force out a laugh as he muttered, "With Donghyuk?"

Yunhyeong nodded.

"But, why, though?" Jiwon gave him inquiring look.

"I don't know..." He turned shy now, "I guess it's love at first sight. At the hospital when I found you back."

He stared into Jiwon's eyes again, this time, with even more serious intensity as he asked, "What...do you think, about this.?"

Jiwon chuckled bitterly, "Why would you even ask me? Does Donghyuk know about your feelings yet?"

Yunhyeong slowly formed a soft smile, as though feeling disappointed with the other's mild response, "I don't think he knows, yet. But we often spend time together, every now and then. We always have lunch together, since his library is near my hospital."

"I see," Jiwon nodded understandingly, "I hope everything go well for you two," and continued sipping his liquor.

"I'm very nervous to tell him. Do you think he like me?"

Jiwon chuckled teasingly, "If you guys always together, it's no surprise if he eventually will fall for you."

"You...think so?"

Jiwon nodded and ordered for more liquor.

At that time, Donghyuk who had gone to the toilet came back and sat beside Yunhyeong who looked anxious as hell. Jiwon grinned wickedly as he kept teasing Yunhyeong to Donghyuk who is oblivious to Jiwon's scheme and just played along with it instead.

Later that late night, Jiwon excused himself and walked home all by himself, though he actually couldn't even walk properly, at all. Too drunk to even see the road properly, but he insisted to be alone, though Yunhyeong persisted to drive him home.

He just wanted to be alone, at that time. He only waved Yunhyeong and Donghyuk goodbye when the two left in Yunhyeong's car. And started his drunken journey home. As he himself knew he would be out any sooner, he decided to use the path with empty street near the club. After all, patrol cars always take that street.

He just walked and kept walking, with his hazy mind. He then suddenly laughed a little, remembering the things Yunhyeong just told him. All those sweet and cute love story and crush and whatsoever the doctor was having with his cousin, and he laughed again. His eyes already lost sight and it took him awhile to finally fall down on the hard street.

He tried all his might to open his eyes and barely saw the full moon shining on its own. He sighed heavily and his eyes couldn't help closing themselves again. And he put on the hoodie.

.

.

.

.

.

It wasn't that long until he felt something flashing in front of him and he groaned, feeling uncomfortable at the bright light coming toward him. He somehow realized that it might be the patrol car that he waited for, so he felt relieved for some reasons.

After all, he used to be saved by an officer in the patrol car, just like that, so he kinda expected the same situation would be happening again.

"Hello?" A voice echoed at the empty street, "Excuse me, Sir... Hello?"

Jiwon then heard the sound of door opened and then closed, before that voice sounded near now.

"Sir, you can't be sleeping here," and Jiwon felt a soft hand held his shoulder and patted it a bit, "Sir, can you hear me? You can't be sleeping here. You have to wake up, Sir."

He heard sound of walkie-talkie and smiled amusedly when he heard the officer responded to the walkie-talkie.

"Liutenant Koo here. I'm going back to the station soon. But now, I'm about to bring a drunk citizen to the station. Yes, by myself. Sergeant Lee ordered me to go back by myself. Yes, I understand."

He heard a heavy sigh then before the officer was about to touch the hoodie that Jiwon had on to hide a bit of his face, when Jiwon immediately held that officer's hand with a lazy chuckle, "I have been waiting for you, dear handsome officer," and he chuckled again, feeling crazy just at the thought that the officer really came. Though he was sure it was a different person from before.

This time, it seemed like a younger one.

"Thank you for calling me handsome, by the way. I very much appreciate it. You know, I was in such a bad mood just now, but once you said that, I at least am smiling now," the officer blabbered by himself, flattered with the drunk compliment from the stranger that he had just met, "Anyway, please let me carry you into the car. And I will call your guardian to pick you up, okay?"

Jiwon grinned though his eyes were covered by his hair and the hoodie that he had on, "Since you smile, I will let you carry me, okay, handsome?"

Junhoe smiled again at the flirty words from him and tried to carry him, but he panted a bit once he got Jiwon on his back, "Sir, I'm bringing you into the car, okay?"

He felt Jiwon hugged him from the back, so he blurted out, "Sir?"

Feeling the weight on his body, Junhoe couldn't help letting out a heavy sigh, "Damn it, he's so heavy! Just how much did he drink, for 's sake?"

Hearing that, Jiwon laughed like a silly man and when Junhoe finally put him down on the passenger seat at the back, Jiwon suddenly wrapped his arm around the officer's shoulder, taking the younger by surprise.

"You are so cute with all that complaining," Jiwon murmured against the other's face, "What's your name?"

Junhoe held Jiwon's hands, trying to drag them away from his shoulder, but the older was somehow stronger; his grip tighten and even his lips got close and closer to Junhoe's.

"Sir, what are you doing?" Junhoe bit his lower lip nervously at the absurd intimate feeling with the stranger.

"I asked you, what's your name?" Jiwon was liking this so much, like he knew he was drunk, yet he wanted to tease the other more and more.

"It's Koo Jun-" and Junhoe was lost for words when Jiwon suddenly let his head fell down, leaning against Junhoe's clothed chest.

"Wait–" Realizing what might happen, Junhoe's eyes widened, "No no no no wait–" and yeah.

", he puked on me," Junhoe pressed his lips together, in full defeat and glared when Jiwon finally out for real on the seat. Well, after releasing all that on the officer, of course.

"Yeah, right. You must feel so much better now that you poured all that on me, right?" Junhoe sighed again and felt so gross with all that, "Yeah, anything for you, dearest citizen," and he frowned.

"The hell, I didn't sign up for this kind of things," he mumbled by himself, whining again, "I already told my father that I want to go to Violent Crime Unit, but he still put me here! And now, I have to deal with all these drunken souls and whatsoever!"

 

At the station.

Captain Koo Jacheol watched amusedly at all the chaos in the station, like he has seen all these every night and day, but it was never boring.

It was then that he saw his own son, Koo Junhoe entered the station while carrying someone on his back, before the rookie softly landed Jiwon on the black couch at the waiting lounge there, together with other drunken people waiting for their guardian to pick up.

The Captain smiled softly when he saw that Junhoe took Jiwon's phone in his jacket to try calling for his guardian. He got up from his seat and walked to his son to hear the conversation.

"Hello, I'm calling from Seoul Police Station. May I know if this is Mr," Junhoe read the name on the ID card in Jiwon's wallet, "Kim Jiwon's guardian? Ah yeah, I need to inform you that your friend was found on the street drunk, so I brought him here. It will be very nice if you can come here and bring him home. I just pressed the speed dial on his phone and your number just appeared. Yes. Thank you."

And with that, Junhoe put the wallet and phone back with Jiwon before asking the other officer to watch over him as he needed to clean himself from all the puke and everything in the toilet.

He didn't even notice his own father watching behind him from before.

As Junhoe was gone to the toilet, his father for some reasons, curiously looked at the person he brought. He removed the hoodie from Jiwon's head and started to recognize him.

"Hm, he looks familiar," Koo Jacheol thought very hard until he finally remembered it.

"Yes, that poor boy," he sighed softly as he scrutinized Jiwon's face, "He still looks like a mess. Life is still being hard on you, huh?"

With a fatherly gesture that he once fed Jiwon, he caressed the sweaty hair softly, "I'm sorry, young man. I thought what I did to you back then, would at least prevent some bad things happening, but it doesn't seem like I did anything at all. I don't know what happened to you but I'm still sorry."

He wiped the tears that dropped from his eyes as he thought about what could be experienced by Jiwon to be like that. With a soft smile for the last time, he got up and was about to go back to his seat when he bumped into someone who seemed to be rushing into the station.

As he grabbed the other who almost fell from the collide, he smiled fondly to see someone that he knew.

"Kim Jinhwan?"

Jinhwan looked up and bowed politely to him, "Oh, Captain... I'm sorry for not noticing you..."

"It's fine, really," and he helped Jinhwan to stand properly again, "Anyway, what brings you all the way to the station?"

"Ah, I got a call from here saying that my friend is here. So, I come to pick him up."

"Your friend?" Koo Jacheol bit his lower lip anxiously, "Is his name, Kim...Jiwon?"

"Yes, that's correct, Captain. Where is he?"

The older gladly showed the way to Jinhwan and the latter looked so relieved to see Jiwon lying down there peacefully.

"Thank you so much, Captain," Jinhwan said as he picked Jiwon up, "See you again on next week Jiujitsu class. You are coming, right?"

The older nodded, "I will be in charge for the training next week. So, make sure you will be there, okay?"

"Absolutely," Jinhwan smiled lightly and excused himself after settling all related matters at the station with Jiwon who was still unconscious.

Meanwhile, the Captain looked at Jinhwan and Jiwon leaving the station with a devastated sigh.

"At least, I know Jinhwan will take care of you," he crossed his arms, "You promised me to be healthy and safe..."

 

End of flashback. Back to present.

 

At the hospital.

Jiwon opens his eyes abruptly after having such dreams from the unconscious state after the shooting incident.

What the hell was that dream about?

Jiwon furrows his eyebrows confusedly and only then realizing that he is in the hospital. He even has his whole body filled with tubes and whatnot. And he looks to the side to see... Junhoe holding his hand, even he is sleeping beside him on the chair.

Jiwon actually doesn't quite remember yet what actually happened to him and what did he dream of just now?

Was it really a dream? Or it really happened before? Why I didn't remember that happening before this? And... Junhoe was in that dream... He is a... Cop? Was?

"You are awake," a sudden familiar deep voice startles Jiwon out of it.

He looks up to the other side and has his eyes rounded to ing see Song Mino standing there.

Mino snorts to see such surprised reaction from him and proceeds to sit on the chair there.

"After the surgery, you have been unconscious for days. Then, you gained your consciousness back and even saw me first, but the sedative put you back under," Mino told him, "Ah, and before you asked, yes, this is a hospital in Hawaii. You are still in Hawaii."

"Hawaii?"

Mino nods and Jiwon sighs as he finally remembers everything that happened, "Oh right, I was shot–" he looks at Mino again and asks with his hoarse voice, "Wait, you flied all the way here?"

Mino made a gesture asking Jiwon to be quiet and not talk loudly, "Junhoe hasn't slept all day and night looking after you, so gentleman please, let him sleep a bit first."

Jiwon looked at Junhoe who sleeps very soundly beside him and smiles before turning back to Mino, "Seems like this is the first time you actually care about your underlings. Or for his case, your staff."

Mino sighs heavily, "I just... I feel bad for him because he is feeling very bad now."

Jiwo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter