Fourteen

Mr. Grumpy

Jungkook didn’t really believe in fate or destiny, and he certainly disagreed with soulmates being a thing.

 

But even he couldn’t deny the way he was drawn to Taehyung like a moth to a flame...

 

After their heart to heart chat outside Taehyung’s flat, Jungkook was elated with a joy that he hadn’t felt in years.

 

The next day when he went to work, he had to stop himself from snogging Taehyung senseless in front of all his colleagues.

 

His good mood was noticed by most, including Hoseok who, of course, used the opportunity to make lewd jokes (given what he had walked in on a few days before).

 

‘I see someone’s finally getting some action’ He said when they were alone in the staff room, wriggling his eyebrows suggestively. ‘Glad that you and Taehyung stopped messing around and started Messing Around, if you know what I mean...’

 

Jungkook shoved his friend playfully, attempting to look angry but not quite stopping the quirk in the corner of his mouth making him smile.

 

Yoongi had replied to his confessions with a thumbs up emoji and a short message of ‘good on u kid’.

 

(To an outsider, it didn’t seem that heartfelt. However Jungkook knew that secretly it meant Yoongi was proud of him.)

 

At the dance studio, Jimin would constantly catch his eye to wink greasily.

 

Hoseok, obviously, had told Namjoon who (when they all were free enough to have a night out) badgered Jungkook to let him meet the person who had so ‘captured his heart’.

 

(Jungkook was slightly wary of introducing Namjoon to Taehyung, he wasn’t sure if the universe was ready for that many conspiracy theories...)

 

Jungkook had only been in a few so called ‘relationships’, each as tragic as the last, so despite the early turmoil in their relationship, it was far more successful and enjoyable then Jungkook had ever imagined.

 

They had gone on a few ‘dates’ (one of which was to a Thai restaurant where Taehyung had accidentally tripped a waiter, causing a boiling hot pot of rice to fly all over Jungkook’s left leg... He had sulked for 0.4 seconds before Taehyung had made him see the hilarity of the situation...), but they mostly spent time at each others apartments.

 

These visits often had a lot of kissing, which Jungkook was certainly not complaining about (it was on his ‘top 10 favourite things’ list, only second to eating which Taehyung would understand completely. Although Taehyung considered kissing Jungkook number 4 on his list, although that may be because both Jimin and Seokjin had insisted he add ‘my beautiful and y bffs’ at number 2 and ‘spending quality time with my bffs and not spending all my time with my bf because bros before hoes’ at 3...)

 

The visits often also included lots of playful teasing (the kind that, to an outsider, looks like straight up fighting...), which was to be expected from a couple who bonded over being two of the most stubborn people on the planet.

 

After roughly 3 months of being together, Taehyung had decided to leave Jeon & Co, since it really had only been a job to pay the bills up until he left university.

 

Jungkook was sad he’d no longer get to see Taehyung wandering the corridors at work (and he would definitely miss the hiding in the bathrooms to sneak kisses from each other through the day, although they had almost gotten caught at least 5 times so maybe it was better that Jungkook wouldn’t have a distraction when he should be working... ).

 

So 3 weeks after he’d left Jeon & Co, Taehyung had an interview at another company.

 

So here Jungkook was at 5am, watching Taehyung as he paced across the room and muttering to himself frantically.

 

‘You could’ve just let me send a slightly threatening reference for you...’ Jungkook said groggily from his position in bed. ‘Or I could just come with you and glare at the interviewers?’

 

‘What? And have them fall ridiculously in love with you?!’ Taehyung replied in a tone that suggested to Jungkook he wasn’t really aware of what he was saying. 

 

‘I really don’t know what you’re so worried about, Tae, you’ll be great! Despite my grumpiness during your interview with my company, it was clear you were a genuinely good candidate...’ Jungkook sat up more in bed and yawned, figuring there wasn’t much of a chance of getting any more rest at this point. ‘Now stop pacing, your nervousness is giving me a headache.’

 

‘You were Mr Grumpy...’ Taehyung said with a small smile, finally stopping his pacing to look at Jungkook. ‘Still are though, let’s be real...’

 

‘Oi!’ Jungkook countered weakly, finding he had slipped back into bed without realising. 

 

They stayed in silence for a bit, Jungkook feeling himself slip in and out of consciousness (battling with his instinct to sleep because it wasn’t even light outside yet goddamnit and with his affection for wanting to make sure Taehyung wouldn’t freak out too much...)

 

A few hours later (after Jungkook had fallen back to sleep because his will power when it came to sleep was weak) he was wishing Taehyung good luck as he rushed out of the door to no doubt arrive at the interview 20 minutes early...

 

His phone dinged as Taehyung sent him a message with a string of worried face emojis, which Jungkook replied to with ‘you’ll be fine’ followed by a fingers crossed emoji.

 

Jungkook smiled wistfully, feeling a strong sense of pride for everything he and Taehyung had been through... 

 

And he couldn’t help but think that everything really felt like it had come full circle between him and Taehyung.

 

And the best thing about circles is that it doesn’t really matter where they start out, because they’ll always end up going around forever...