Ten

Mr. Grumpy

Jungkook, even after the craziest of nights, could remember everything.

It was often both a blessing and a curse.

A blessing because he could keep track of everything he had done (without having to consult a friend, who would probably just laugh at him instead of actually telling him), but a curse because it meant he had to relive all his mishaps in glorious HD memory-vision (and not the usual low quality haze of embarrassment that most people had on a morning after).

At this particular moment, he was slightly regretting his ability to remember everything as his brain tumbles over the events of the previous evening in full detail.

After he had, reluctantly, joined Taehyung and his friends, things started to get weird.

It started with Taehyung constantly using Jungkook as a pillar to lean on as he doubled over with laughter (what he was laugh at was a mystery to Jungkook, though).

Jungkook was only a touchy feely kind of person around the closest of friends, so that meant Hoseok and Yoongi (since Namjoon was a friend of a friend, still a good friend but not quite in the 'hug-territory' yet...) got subjected to the occasional bear hug.

But he and Taehyung really weren't close (physically, they were very close... Too close almost, Taehyung's arm was draped around his shoulders) so to have so much contact with the other was... Strange.

And things just kept getting stranger.

A point in the evening, Taehyung announced he was leaving.

He got up on wobbly legs, starting to waddle away, before grabbing the sleeve of Jungkook's jacket and pulling him up.

He slurred something that sounded like a foreign language, but could have been 'You are coming with me' (Either that or he said 'Jews are gonna be free' which really doesn't make a lot of sense... Unless he thought he was Moses).

Jungkook was reluctantly pulled away from Taehyung's friends as they both stepped outside into the cold late night air.

Taehyung shivered violently, making his teeth chatter comedically.

'Look why don't we go back-' Jungkook began, deciding that he had to be the 'responsible' one in this situation.

'You know I really don't like you' Taehyung interrupted, illustrating his point with a poke to Jungkook's arm.

Jungkook blinked confusedly at Taehyung, who was now playing with a loose thread on the edge of his jacket.

'Um..?' Jungkook rarely knew what to say to Taehyung at the best of times, let alone when they were both quite intoxicated and freezing their asses off. 

'You know, I first saw you and was like 'oh this guy is attractive, like next level next worldly beautifully attractive' but then you started being all grumpy and grumpy and I-' Taehyung interrupted himself with a series of hiccups, before continuing to slur out a speech. 'Actually I actually call you Mr Grumpy to the omnipresent being that narrates our lives, cos you were so so SO grumpy but you were so beautiful so I was, Am? Confused...'

Taehyung was looking at him with an unreadable expression on his face (although, the guy had the ability to be as open as a book one moment and then as tightly closed as an oyster the next... Or a clam? Or another shelled creature, just any that are very tightly closed... Not that he looks like a clam or oyster, it's a metaphor. No wait, a simile. Onomatopoeia. Yup, just checking I could still spell it after all these years... Wait, where was I?).

Jungkook opened and closes his mouth, half ready to impart how he'd considered Taehyung to be a nutcase when they first met but also not willing to face the potential consequences of that.

He was also still trying to comprehend that Taehyung had called him attractive and beautiful on several occasions.

It wasn't as if he didn't know he was good looking ('no amount of humbleness makes a man blind', probably an ancient proverb...), but being told by someone is essentially his arch enemy.

If Jungkook's life was a marvel film; Taehyung would be the Green Goblin to his Spiderman, that Octopus Guy to his Spiderman 2 and The Evil Spiderman Venom Guy to his Spiderman 3.

(The Spiderman in question would, of course, be Tobey Maguire).

Any villain suddenly confessing their attraction to the hero was like some badly made Fanfiction...

Jungkook settled on saying nothing, hoping the bemused look on his face said enough.

Taehyung, meanwhile, had busied himself in rummaging in his coat pockets, passing Jungkook random bits of tissue or fluff he found in there.

Jungkook accepted them gingerly, unsure what Taehyung would do if he refused.

They stood in the cold for several more minutes, Taehyung giggling and poking at the bits of fluff lying in Jungkook's hands.

Jungkook half wished he was more drunk, because slightly drunk Jungkook was better at conversation than mostly sober Jungkook.

Eventually, the numbness in his fingers began to get too distracting that he had to say something to hopefully get them inside.

'It's um... Taehyung, it's a bit cold we should go-' 

'You said my name!' Taehyung said with wide eyes. 'It's nice when you do that you should do that more...'

'Um... Okay, but like maybe we should-'

'You have a nice voice saying anything, come to think of it, you should say all the things.' Taehyung interrupted again, looking intently at Jungkook's mouth as he spoke. 'Would you quote Shakespeare to me? No wait wait what about Keats? Or Wordsworth! I wondered lonely as a cloud... Something something...'

'Look, can we please do this inside where it's less-' 

'I bet you have a good singing voice, come to think about it, come to think of it you're basically my type, thinking about it, if I think about it' Taehyung rambled. 'Why aren't we doing something romantic, not doing weird angry-ness and-'

'Can we please go back inside!' Jungkook interjected with frustration, the fluff and tissue falling from his hands.

Taehyung blinked at him in confusion, finally looking into his eyes, as if he'd seen him for the first time.

Jungkook could almost hear the whirs of Taehyung's thought processes before he opened his mouth to say something.

Nothing came out, he instead stepped towards Jungkook with a mildly terrifying and intense expression on his face.

Jungkook stepped back, finding (of course) a wall behind him preventing him from getting away.

A feeling of deja vu but reversed washed over him (aks the Break Room incident) he decided that using his words would be the best way to get away.

Not that he was intimidated by the other, since he was pretty sure he could beat him in a fight any day, but really this was a guy who would literally choke himself to prove a point.

Jungkook wouldn't be surprised if he would actually kill someone just so he could quote The Cell Block Tango from Chicago (i.e. Then he ran into my knife, he ran into my knife ten times).

'Look, Taehyung maybe-' Jungkook didn't really know what he was going to say.

But that didn't matter, since Taehyung began to his own coat.

Jungkook gulped, now even more worried (what if he pulled out a knife or gun?! Or a sword! His coat was pretty big, definitely good for concealing dangerous weapons).

He then reached down and grabbed Jungkook's hands, before pulling them towards his chest.

Jungkook began to stutter a protest before Taehyung placed his hands onto the other's chest.

He then placed his own hands over Jungkook's before grinning goofily at the other.

'Better?' He asked cheekily.

Jungkook could only gape slightly, his face heating up at the intimacy of their position (they were close enough to hug, and his hands were currently pressed onto Taehyung's chest... To an outsider it would be an interesting sight...).

Jungkook looked up into Taehyungs (still) intense gaze.

He was definitely no longer feeling the cold, although that might have been the increase of blood pumping around his body to various parts of his body.

Namely, his cheeks.

Taehyung seemed to lean closer then, eyes now glancing between Jungkook's eyes and lips.

Alarm bells were ringing in Jungkook's ears (although, that may have been a distant car alarm) as he realised Taehyung was definitely going to kiss him.

He, for some unknown reason (he'd blame the small amount of alcohol he had had) began to close his eyes as Taehyung's face got ever closer.

It was so close that he could see Taehyung's (insanely attractive) nose right up close through his eyelashes, and he could feel the warmth of his breath on his own lips.

He was just about to close his eyes fully when the warmth of Taehyung was abruptly pulled away and the sound of retching to his right could be heard.

His eyes flew open, only to close again as he saw Taehyung was currently vomiting next to him.

Pulling himself from the wall, he took a deep breath.

He had a feeling that no matter how much he could try, things between them would never be the same...

And if he were honest (they say alcohol makes someone more honest), he wasn't sure if he actually wanted things to stay the same between them...