How Far?

Vox Nihili
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I have brought the personal servant, Your Highness."

The Head of the Servants politely knocked after she said that from outside the princess' room.

The princess was brushing her own hair, admiring her reflection on the mirror. 

"Is it the one I asked for?" She asked, still going on with what she was doing.

There was a brief silence, and the princess awaited for the response.

"Your Highness, do you really wish for the young servant to be your personal servant for tonight..? We have better ones here who would satisfy your liking, and with many years of service, they can do tasks tha—"

"Bring me the one I asked for." The princess sternly cuts her off. "No questions asked."

And with that, the Head stopped herself. "Yes, Your Highness. We will be back in an instant."

The princess stood up from her seat in front of the big, golden framed mirror. She adjusted her hanbok and fixed her own hair before her personal servant arrives.

It was a chilly, summer night. But the moonlit sky was clear enough for her to admire the stars she had always stared at.

 

Tomorrow, she will be married off to the neighboring prince to unify the two dynasties.

The two dynasties had been waging war for decades, and the only thing that was finally putting an end for the years of bloodshed was the prince's love for the princess.

The princess didn't know how the prince exactly found out about her, but it seems like everyone from both dynasties were in favour for this union. Well, everyone, except the princess herself.

It wasn't new for her that people would fawn over her beauty and intellect, as well as her grace and skill when it comes to dancing a traditional dance. People would offer riches to her and her family, but the king would always decline.

This was the first time that the royal family talked about marriage. The king was begging — convincing — the princess to agree, even though everyone else knew the princess didn't want to partake in this scheme.

The princess herself didn't understand what caused her to not think about marriage anymore. There were few reasons she thought of, and piecing them together made sense.

Firstly, every time the king declined someone, it made the princess get used to the idea that maybe she would never, ever get married. Secondly, seeing that her mother was the one who always made the final decision, she realised that she didn't need a king for her to rule when her time comes.

The final reason was that she knew she was feeling something different, for some odd reasons, when she sees a girl as graceful as her.

When she first met a princess from another kingdom, she found herself with a dropped jaw after watching the small performance the lady did for their family. The way she was so clean and elegant had her drawn.

Another instance was when she was home-schooled about foreign languages and common courtesies for the other countries. Her family insisted she needed it for when she will go to the other countries to form alliances someday. 

Her teacher was a tall, sharp, interesting woman who showed a hint of care and worry whenever the princess wasn't feeling well. She finds herself struck in awe for two straight years, and was feeling disappointed when the teacher was finally done with her job.

At first she didn't understand why she felt down whenever she sees the girls she admired leave. It dawned upon her when she finally didn't feel thrill anymore when a prince comes by to court her.

Maybe she prefers women. That's what it was, and the princess knew it. She had become more stern when she knew about it; she didn't feel like a fool anymore when princes presented her gifts and riches. She didn't want any of those.

Instead, she found herself liking a servant, which was very un

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter