You're the Highlight of My Seoul Life

The Day Your Song Ends

 


The day after that, I went out to look for a new job around Seoul. By the way, I used to work at "Day6o Shinhwu", a well-known local daily newspaper in Daegu. Not to be boastful, but I was one of the managing editors of our newspaper. It was a really nice job. Although I feel bad for leaving, I'm still grateful for I will be given a chance to work in Seoul.

 

[Eun Byeol] Eomma, how are you and Appa?
[Eomma] We're fine! So? How is Seoul?
[Eun Byeol] It is surprisingly cold here but I'm starting to get used to it.
[Eomma] Be careful not to catch a cold then, arasseo?
[Eun Byeol] Don't worry about me, mom! Just take care of yourself and Appa!
[Eomma] Ne! Say hi to Tae Hyung for me!
[Eun Byeol] Ne! I'll be visiting him after I apply for a new job.
[Eomma] Jinjja? Good luck then!
[Eun Byeol] Kamsahabnida! Annyeong! I have to go, Eomma! Saranghae!
[Eomma] Saranghaeyo!

 

It has only been three days and I feel homesick already. I hope everything's going fine at Daegu. I first stopped at "The DaeMin Hark" where a creepy man, in a black suit and hair neatly waxed to the back, interviewed me. There were a lot of unnecessary questions asked which made me feel confused. I took a quick break at a nearby coffee shop first before continuing my job hunt. Wow... I've only applied at one company and yet it already feels traumatizing. I wonder if I will still be successful this day. All of my worries were gone for a bit after taking a sip of coffee. I was pretty much entertaining myself that I didn't realize someone was walking towards me.

 

[?] Noona! Is that you?
[Eun Byeol] Oh? It's one of Tae Hyung's co-members. What is his name again? Omo! I forgot! Ah... *fake laugh* Ne! It's me! *fake smile*
[?] Eh? Did you, perhaps, forgot my name?
[Eun Byeol] Mianhae *fake laugh* I do forgot...
[?] A~ I just noticed that Noona can be so cute too.
[Eun Byeol] Oh really? *fake laugh* You too... WAAAAH! WHY DID I SAY THAT?!
[?] Really?! I look cute for you?!
[Eun Byeol] Ne! *fake laugh* Seriously? When is he going to leave?
[?] Daebak! I bet the hyungs will be jealous. We were actually talking about you when we practice *smiles*.
[Eun Byeol] Eh?! They are talking behind my back?!
[?] Please come visit us often!
[Eun Byeol] Ah... N-Ne... I will whenever I have free time which is later *fake smile*.
[?] Kamsahamnida Noona! Anyway, I'm Jeon Jung Kook! Please don't forget it when we meet again *smiles*.
[Eun Byeol] Arasseo *fake smile*. Take care, Jung Kook! Haaah... He finally left.

 

I finished my coffee in one gulp. I wanted to leave that place as soon as possible before anything happens again. I guess it's not that easy living in Seoul... After thinking of Tae Hyung, I gained courage again and started walking around, looking for available jobs at newspaper companies. I wasn't fortunate enough to be hired in any of the companies I applied at so I was dragging myself back home when I saw a poster stating they need a new writer. Editing is quite similar to writing. Should I go for it? I nervously entered the building who were looking for a new writer and, unlike the other employees I've encountered earlier, the employees from this company were rather amazed and surprised at my arrival.

 

[Employee] Wow... Are you seriously applying at our company?!
[Eun Byeol] Ne...
[Employee] Jinjja... Daebak!

 

A woman, whom I think is supposed to be the CEO in the company, suddenly came, approaching my direction.

 

[Woman] What's your name?
[Eun Byeol] Lee Eun Byeol.
[Woman] Do you have any experience in writing articles?
[Eun Byeol] I don't have any but I used to be a managing editor at "Day6o Shinhwu."
[Woman] Oh! "Day6o Shinhwu?" *nods* You're hired.
[Eun Byeol] Eh? That's it?
[Woman] Wae? You don't want to?
[Eun Byeol] Aniyo.. Kamsahamnida!
[Woman] Anyway, leave your bio-data to that person in the counter. You can start working tomorrow at 7am. Communicate with the other employees for now *leaves*.

 

So, yeah... That's how I got my first job in Seoul. Worse is, I don't exactly know what I signed up for. Thanks to Kim Eun Gyu, an article writer, I found out what my job really is.

 

[Eun Byeol] E-Expose idols?
[Eun Gyu Sunbae-nim] Ne~ Ne~
[Eun Byeol] Is that why they are surprised to find out that I'm taking the job?
[Eun Gyu Sunbae-nim] Correct~! Most of the employees here are actually "haters" of an idol group or soloist. So, which idol group are you going to expose?
[Eun Byeol] Omo! Oddoke? I'm not really a fan of those... I just hear stuffs from my past co-workers. What should I say?! Oh! Right! BTS.
[Eun Gyu Sunbae-nim] Oh... The new boy group they are talking about? Too bad, the slot for those who will write articles about BTS are already full. You need to choose another boy group to cover then.
[Eun Byeol] But I'm not interested in other groups... How about EXO?
[Eun Gyu Sunbae-nim] There are no slots left for that, too.
[Eun Byeol] Oh? Is that so? But I don't know much about the other groups... What group are you writing about?
[Eun Gyu Sunbae-nim] I write about SHINee! Wae? Do you wanna join me?
[Eun Byeol] There are available slots for SHINee???
[Eun Gyu Sunbae-nim] Yeap! *whispers* Actually, I'm not really a "hater" of SHINee! I'm just here because I want to see them often!
[Eun Byeol] Is that so? Hmmm... I'll join you then.
[Eun Gyu Sunbae-nim] Waaah~! It'll be really fuuun! Anyway, don't get me wrong! I'm not saying BTS' haters are THAT many. They are just trending these days that's why they are receiving a lot of spotlight that attracts article writers.
[Eun Byeol] Oh... Don't worry. I get your point. I think I should leave now *smiles*. See you again tomorrow!
[Eun Gyu Sunbae-nim] Ne~! Nice to meet youuu! Welcome to Deespats again! *winks*

 

Waaah~! I guess the company I will be working at isn't so bad after all. I wish I could do a great job despite my lack of interest in the subjects. Oh! Yeah! I should visit Tae Hyung! Feeling cheerful and enthusiastic, I rode the bus to Gangnam-gu. Ever since I found out about Tae Hyung's situation, I became more careful with my words and actions. I also practiced acting normal if Tae Hyung and I are in public. I thought this would be the only thing I can do to help him. I feel more and more excited as the distance between Tae Hyung and me became shorter and shorter. My tiny feet finally landed on BigHit's lobby and this time, the lady at the front desk recognized and showed me how to get to BTS' practice room. I easily reached the floor where the practice room is located and I can already hear the loud music across the hallway. I carefully moved closer to where the members are when someone tapped my shoulder from behind.

 

[Eun Byeol] Oh? Jung Kook! Why do I sound excited?
[Jung Kook] Noona! You came! You really don't have to visit us if you're busy!
[Eun Byeol] Ani! It's okay. I just came from... Oh! Right! I can't say what my job is especially in front of an idol! Uhmmm... I came from a job application! *fake laugh*
[Jung Kook] *eyes widened* Really? Where?
[Eun Byeol] I-It's a newspaper company!
[Jung Kook] Wooow... That's awesome! Noona, let's go inside! *enters practice room*
[Eun Byeol] Ne! *sighs* That was close!

 

I followed Jung Kook inside the room full of empty snack wrappers and big speakers. So this is where my Tae Tae is everyday. In one corner, there sat a group of handsome boys wearing white shirts with sweat rolling down their faces and necks. Of course it's none other than the members of BTS! I can see that they were happy to see me especially Tae Tae. They all stood in one line and, like what they traditionally do, they greeted me with their short battle cry.

 

[Eun Byeol] Waaah... I can't believe I'm standing in front of these seven handsome boys. Tae Tae, how are you? *smiles widely*
[Members] Tae... Tae?
[Tae Hyung] Ah...! That's my nickname! Byeol-ah made it for me!
[Members] Byeol-ah?
[Member 1] A~ Mwoya? *grins* It's like there's something between you two... *scratches chin*
[Eun Byeol] S-Something... Between us? Omo!!! Are we too obvious?!