don't forget

i call it love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cherry blossoms have always been Minkyung's favorite flower—there isn't really an explanation she has for it. When it's springtime, she has the biggest smile on her face. Yebin can remember so clearly the cherry tree in Minkyung's backyard, where they'd sit on one of the gnarly branches, trading secrets and eating slightly melted strawberry popsicles. 

There's a huge cherry tree on campus, and it's where, in freshman year, Minkyung and Yebin used to eat lunch together every day, until finally they were entangled into separate friendships. However, it still shines as a meeting place for the two of them—for picnics where Minkyung would practice her guitar as petals got caught in her hair, and study sessions on particularly sunny days. On Minkyung's birthday, Yebin had climbed to the top, just to snap off a branch of blossoms to tie onto the girl's present. 

Now, walking in the direction of the tree, all lit up with it's cotton candy spring colors, Yebin realizes she's never felt so nervous around the tree, never walked toward it with such anxiety. She sees Minkyung, sitting right under it, hair in soft wisps around her face as the breeze blows. 

It's odd—all Yebin's life, Minkyung has been the person she trusts the most, but right now, she feels like a stranger to her. 

"Hey." Yebin says quietly.

"Hi." Minkyung says. She isn't smiling.

"I'm sorr-"

"Don't. Let me talk."

Yebin sits next to Minkyung, pretending there isn't a constant anxiety digging a perpetual hole into her stomach. 

"You shouldn't have punched him." 

"I know. I'm sorry."

"You can't control my life forever. And Josh is a nice guy—I get when you kicked Jaebum, he was an , but Josh didn't do anything."

"I-i don't know why I did it."

"You know, one day we're not going to be each other's first priority anymore." 

Yebin pretends that isn't a punch in the stomach. 

"I know."

"You can't protect me forever. I can make my own decisions, Yebin. One day we'll both be married, and have things to love that aren't eachother."

"I'm sorry."

"Stop saying that, . I know you're sorry." Minkyung takes Yebin's hands. "I'm going to go on a second date with Josh."

Yebin looks at Minkyung, at the faint sparkle of her eyes, and feels herself melt. 

"So we're still friends?"

"Of course! It's not like I haven't made dumb mistakes and you haven't forgiven me."

That's when Minkyung leans forward, and their lips are closing closer together—but she just reaches up and wipes away a few of Yebin's tears and presses a gentle kiss on her cheek. 

"I love you, you know that, ok."

"I'm in lo-" Yebin starts, but she stops herself. It's not worth it, no matter how perfect the moment, to admit anything at all to Minkyung. After all, she's happy with Joshua, right? And that's what's always come first. Minkyung's happiness. 

"What?" Minkyung says.

"Nothing." Yebin replies. "I love you too." 

 

When Eunwoo gets home from work, she finds Yebin cleaning out her entire closet. 

"Yebin... Everything ok?"

"I'm great." Yebin replies, almost angrily. "I'm fan-ing-tastic." 

"That does not sound good." Eunwoo says, setting down her bags. 

"I made up with Minkyung."

"What! That's great!" 

"She's going on another date with Joshua." 

"That is... not as great."

"And I," Yebin says, throwing a sweater onto the floor, "Am going to move on."

"Hold up." Eunwoo crosses her arms. "You? Moving on?" 

"Yup. I'm going to the bar tonight, I'll bang someone, and get over Minkyung."

"I don't believe it's that simple, sweetheart." 

The apartment door pushes open and in walks Jieqiong, Sungyeon, and a girl Yebin's never seen before.

"What is going on?" Jieqiong asks. 

"Same question to you. Who is that?" Eunwoo asks. 

"I'm Kyla." The girl says. "I'm Sungyeon's friend."

"She wrote another song for us." says Jieqiong, untying her Converse.

(Sungyeon had somewhat become a permanent fixture of the band after the punching incident—things like that tend to bond people together.)

"Oh, cool." Eunwoo says. "Yebin's going to get over Minkyung, apparently."

"I am!" Yebin replies,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter