Knock 9

Knocking On Your Heart

Knock 9

Looking at the ceiling, Mark took a deep breath before moving his body but nope, it hurts...really hurts.

Sighing and hissing, trying to endure his pain and feverish state, he give Youngjae a quick call and luckily the younger pick up fast.
 

“Young...help me...I can't even get out of bed.” The author mumbled out, trying to make sure the other can understand him at the other end.

“Hyung...I would but I'm not in Seoul right now. I have been tasked to interview some rich Busan hotel owner, what happened to you?” Youngjae asked worriedly, he would have asked the youngest to fill in but Yugyeom had already left for his graduation trip to Jeju.

“Slight fever and sore body. “ Mark managed to half lie, he didn't want to worry the other any further.

“Maybe I can call Jackson hyung to help check on you…” Youngjae suggested, knowing that's the closest helpline for the older.

“No! Yug will be just fine, ask him to come by.”  The older was quick to reject, breaking his voice in the process while forgetting about the youngest's graduation trip.

“He already left this morning at 7am, his trip.” The reporter sighed, he's sure that the older is too sick to even think straight.

“Right...I forgot...It's fine I will deal with it.”  Mark mumbled, he just had to get moving because there's no one to baby him today like always.

“You know let me just call Jacks…” Youngest tried to talk through the stubbornness but instead he was cut straight and clean.

“No, it's fine. You take care and I will do fine by myself.”  Mark assured before ending the call or not Youngjae just wouldn't stop pressing on that name.

He somehow rolled himself out of bed after the phone call, making his way to the couch.

He was sweaty but that didn't stop him from ordering breakfast, he needed his food before eating his medication.

The author let out a huge breath of relief, at least now food is on the way but that doesn't mean those bruises on his stomach doesn't hurt.

Last night scene still fresh in his mind with those words echoing in his head "stay away from him".

He shook his head trying to erase that scene but it's too strong that it might stay for a bit.

The author curled up into a ball, waiting for his food without realizing that his body temperature aren't going down either.

Meanwhile at the apartment opposite, Jackson stirs up from the sunlight beaming down into his living room.

He groaned at the sunlight hitting his face, not feeling that great after a night on his couch but who was he to complain when he can't fall asleep on his bed.

It took a while but finally he showered and now he just needs to find things to fill up his not so hungry tummy.

While munching on some toast that he actually burned, he heard a few soft knocks
but he decides to take in the sounds for a bit to be sure but jolted up when he heard someone calling for help.

To his dismay and shocked, he was greeted with a sight of Mark plopped on the floor looking like a ghost while a delivery guy looking flustered with a bag of food.

“What happened?” Jackson asked rather lost as he approaches them before bending down to check on the older while the delivery man was quick to explain.

“I was about to pass his order but he just dropped to the floor, looking really in pain so I wanted to call for an ambulance but instead he asked me to knock on your door for help.”  The poor guy explained which immediately earned a nod from the president.

“Thank you, you can just pass the food to me. I will handle it from here.” Jackson said, taking the order before the relief delivery man excused himself and when on to his next delivery.

Luckily, he somehow managed to carry the older and his food to the couch, immediately noticing the high temperature upon skin contact.

“I'm...sorry…” Mark managed to muttered out in the half conscious state, trying to fight the throbbing pain in his head.

“Why didn't you call me?” Jackson sighed out, annoyed at seeing the state the older is in before getting up to prepare a cold water wipe.

Seeing the anger in the younger, Mark just stayed quiet as he watches the other approaches with a basin of cold water and a small towel making him realize something.

“It's ok, I can wipe myself. You wait here.”  Mark said trying to get up but his jelly legs aren't holding up so he falls back on the sofa.

“Just let me, what's to be shy about.”  Jackson nagged, taking a seat beside the older before trying to open his hoodie but Mark stopped him.

“No, it's ok. I don't feel it's…” Mark tried to find an excuse but his words was definitely misunderstood by the younger.

“Oh so now I can't even touch you? It's that why you didn't call me for help? You didn't want my help.” Jackson shocked, looking at Mark hurt and the author couldn't take it, he is mentally not in the state to deal with the hurt individual.

“Fine, don't misunderstand me but please don't ask me anything after what you see.”  Mark sighed softly, opening his hoodie slowly to reveal his bruised stomach area, in the purplish black shade that makes Jackson stares in shock.

“What hap..” Jackson almost blurted out but kept quiet when he saw the pain in Mark's eyes, he knows the older didn't want to talk about it.

He quietly wipe down the older before slowly helping him put on the hoodie again.

“Do you wanna eat?” Jackson asked when his eyes landed on the delivery bag still sitting on the coffee table.

Mark slowly nodded, he doesn't have much energy to say much so the younger quickly grab what seems to be a bowl of porridge and start feeding with the spoon provided.

What seems like a few spoonfuls later, the older signalled that he had enough before reaching into his pocket for the medicine container that he managed to grab on the way to open the door earlier.

“You are not looking good, should I call Uncle here?” The younger asked worriedly but Mark only smile faintly before shaking his head.

“I will be fine after a good sleep, please help me grab some water.” The author muttered out causing Jackson to sighed at the stubbornness but got up to grab a bottle of water for the sick other nonetheless.

“Kaka!” The voice that Jackson knows by heart was heard causing him to paused before staring straight at his parents whose looking lost at Mark's front door.

How silly he forgets to close the main door after carrying the author in, it was left opened all the way but luckily they were in the living room.

“What's going on, son? We been calling but you didn't pick up. Is he alright?” Mr Wang asked, both parents clearly saw the sick Mark on the couch.

“Is that... oh my poor future son in law... “ Mrs Wang concluded before quickly dashing in to check on the sick and lost author while Jackson wasn't sure if it was the right moment to tell her that she's wrong.

“We should call your uncle, you go ahead and carry him in. We will call him for you, don't worry about us.”  Mrs Wang said worryingly before rushing her son to quickly carry the sick individual to his room.

Feeling lost and rushed, Jackson just followed suit as instructed before accompanying the quiet older by his bed in silence.

“Sorry... My parents…” Jackson started breaking the silence after a good ten minutes of it.

Mark look at the younger's expression, he knows clearly what he's sorry about.

“I will tell them so don't worry, they are meeting him soon anyway.”  Jackson continues, more like muttering the bottom half to himself anyway.

He wanted to say it's fine, don't worry about it but nothing come out so he just grab Jackson's hand and give it a small squeeze.

The younger stares at that hand, the touch and warmth that he has been missing that he instantly entangled their fingers, surprising even the author.

With their fingers entangled, they stare at each other fondly that time seems to stop as their pouring emotion fills up the space.

“I really miss you.” The younger spilled out, painting a real smile on the author's face after months of fake smiles.

“I miss you too.”  The author returned those words, making the younger grin in happiness because those words are so precious and rare for him that he just wants time to stop here, a space that consists of him and Yien.

“Lovebirds, am I disturbing something?” Uncle Lu voice was heard, pulling the two out of the zone as they were greeted by the three amused adults standing by the bedroom door watching them.

Mark feel himself blushed while Jackson just smiled sheepishly before slowly letting go, getting up to make space for Uncle Lu to check on the author.

“Don't worry, he will be fine. You guys go ahead and wait in the living room. “ Uncle Lu assured the Wang family causing Mr Wang to nod as he brings his wife and son away to let the doctor do his job.

“You didn't tell us he was sick. Did he get stressed up over meeting us?” Mr Wang asked, wondering why their son didn't say anything about the other 's state while Mrs Wang nodded, she also wondering the same thing.

Jackson shook his head, trying to find words to explain things without sounding confusing but he couldn't so he just said the very same thing that pops up in his head.

“No, he kinda woke up unwell today.” The young president slurred out, mentally slapping himself for not being able to stop this big misunderstanding and it just got worse by the minute.

“Oh well, it's ok he can rest today, there's always tomorrow to discuss about you guys.” Mr Wang concluded, smiling to his wife who happily nodded.

“Yes, I can't wait to get to know him, he's cute and seems lovely like how you told us.” Mrs Wang added excitedly which only make Jackson sighed mentally if only they knew the correct person is nothing like how they thought.

Don't get him wrong, it's not like Jaebum gonna hate or disrespect his parents but he is far from cute and lovely. He's totally that cold son who cares by making his parents proud, fullstop.

“You didn't tell us he's a Chinese too, I thought he was a Korean all along.” Mr Wang pointed out, snapping Jackson back to the conversation.

Before Jackson could attempt again to clear up the mess, Uncle Lu appears out of the author room looking rather concern.

“How's everything ge?” Mrs Wang asked, clearly noticing the look just like her son.

“Before anything, did you guys had a fight yesterday?” Lu asked, taking a seat on the solo spot while looking at the younger Wang straight on.

“No, especially if you are talking about the bruise on his stomach. He wouldn't tell me what happened.” Jackson straightforwardly answers, he is curious himself.

“He is having a high fever and the bruises are the causes of it. It's best if you talk to him slowly and ask him what happened, those nasty bruises it's not so simple. If I didn't know better, I would have thought he was beaten up.”  The doctor explained causing the Wang pair to share a worried look while Jackson knows he needs to make the older talk.

“Here's some pills for the fever, it's best to also talk to him more because it's seems like his depression is acting up again, his intake of the pill seems to have been more regular.” Uncle Lu added, clearly worries as he saw the familiar looking bottle sitting on the coffee table, a sign that Mark is taking it on a daily basis.

“Depression? Is there something we need to know about our future son in law?” Mrs Wang asked surprise to hear that word, he looks too kind to be suffering like this.

“Don’t you guys recognise him? That face you guys adore so much..” Uncle Lu teased, making the family of three confused.

“Matthew and Maggie's only son.” The doctor dropped the bomb surprising the pair while Jackson remains clueless.

“OMG.. It's that really my sweet boy…” Mrs Wang exclaimed, holding her husband arm before hugging him happily after seeing the doctor nodded.

“What a small world, we have been always looking for him after he left home almost 8 years ago.” Mr Wang commented, looking at his son with tears in his eyes while Jackson stays dumbfounded.

“Yes, he left home after locking himself up for months due to depression. He lost both parents during their family trip in Taiwan which where they are from. They got into a bad car crash during a rainstorm and his parents died while protecting him and his older sister.” The doctor explained to the lost younger while his parents nodded in agreement.

“After the funeral, we planned to take in him and his sister but they were more comfortable on going back home to LA so we let them be, instead we took care and keep a look out from far but it wasn't a few weeks later we heard about Mark leaving home, away from the memories of his parents. Up until now, we let him be to fly free and it wasn't easy to track him so it's such a good thing to know that he has been by your side. “ Mr Wang continues to fill in on the details while Jackson feel so sorry, he's been by the older side but yet he knows nothing about his painful past. 

 

“Yes, it was really a relief for me to see him with you. That young man suffered a lot but he turned out to be such a kind soul, exactly like his parents.” Uncle Lu added, smiling at the fond memories of the Tuan pair, the happy virus in their circle of friends. 

 

“I didn't know.. “ Jackson stuttering, he can't form words as those information struck his head, the older suffered more than just Jinyoung, he went through hell once and the stupid idiot just drag him into another round of it.

 

“Kaka, don't blame yourself dear. At least you find out now rather than later.” Mrs Wang said, trying to make her son feel better but she knows, knowing her Jackson it will take a while to sink in and feel better. 

 

“Oh.. I think I need to go now. Another urgent beep, if he doesn't get any better by tomorrow update me.” Uncle Lu announced after checking his phone which cause the family of three to nod to his words. 

 

“We should go and grab some necessities and food too, honey. Let the lovebirds stay by themselves for a while.” Mr Wang remind his wife, lightly teasing his son which caused Jackson to pout while his mom chuckled while getting ready to leave. 

 

With the silence accompanying him after his parents left, the young president try to process every detail but all he feels is guilt. He feels so guilty, not knowing what the older had been through yet blaming him for pushing him back to Jaebum. 

 

It dawned upon him that Mark did that because he was scared that he will lose him just like his parents and Jinyoung. The older rather live in pain than watch him being taken away. 

 

Unknowingly he found himself back in the author's room, Mark lying there still awake but unaware of his presence. 

 

“Hey..” Jackson called out softly, taking a seat by the older which only earn a small smile from the sick older. 

 

“Why are you here, your parents?” Mark muttered out, worried about the sweet pair who clearly just arrived here, the luggage was a great hint. 

 

“They went out to get stuff.”  Jackson replied earning a silent ‘ohh’ from the older. 

 

“Yi en.. You really don't wanna share about this thing?” The younger tried again which causes the other to stay quiet for a while. 

 

“I was attacked on the way home yesterday at the back alley beside this building. I didn't know who attacked though.”  Mark revealed while keeping the part of his guess on who's the sender of those attackers to himself. 

 

“What but why!? You didn't harm anyone.”  Jackson huffed, trying to control his anger because he totally feel like punching someone's face. 

 

“It's ok.. I think they won't come to disturb me again.”  Mark assured but the younger, he wasn't having any of these. 

 

“No, it's not ok. What makes them think that they can treat you like this! If I find out who they are, they better watch out. Nobody can treat you like this without my permission from now on.” Jackson said angrily causing Mark to laugh at the serious younger, he just too cute. 

 

“Hey, I'm being serious here. Don't laugh..”  Jackson pout like a child causing Mark to mutter a quick sorry before smiling silly. 

 

“I miss your smile.. I miss you, Yi en..” Jackson said softly causing the older to blush as he slowly find the younger's hand and entangled their fingers. 

 

“I miss you too.. Ka Yee… I'm glad you are happy now..”  Mark said, smiling bitterly sweet at the other. 

 

Before Jackson could tell the older that no, he was not happy, his phone rang with Jaebum's name flashing.

 

Sighing Jackson let go of that hand to answer before excusing himself out of the room. 

 

“Good morning, Jacks. Are we gonna be picking up your parents first?” Jaebum greeted, clearly excited to meet his soon to be in laws. 

 

“Morning Jae, I think today's plan need to be postponed. I'm a bit busy with work today while my parents already arrived but a bit tired. How about tomorrow instead, give me some time to clear work while they rest first?”  Jackson lied, knowing that if he told him the truth than Jaebum might just go crazy and start to question every little bit. 

 

“Alright, you will be working from home I assume? Not anywhere else right?” Jaebum sighed but he can't say no or it will just push the other away more. 

 

“Ya of course, I gotta go so talk later.” Jackson quickly ended the call when he saw the slightly swaying Mark trying to exit his room.

 

“Why are you out? Rest more, you should get some sleep.”  Jackson nagged, worried as he helped the older walk to the couch. 

 

“I can't sleep and it's getting boring in the room.”  Mark reasoned as he took a seat at the sofa, feeling slightly lighter than before. 

 

“Why don't you take some sleeping pills?” Jackson suggested to only have the other shook his head. 

 

“My medication is on the stronger side so Uncle advised me not to take any sleeping pills or it might clash.” Mark explained to which Jackson nodded obediently, he really need to know more about the author.

 

A silence pause quickly filled up the atmosphere as they just stared at each other with no words exchange, both too awkward after not spending time together for a few months.

 

“You know, you should tell me more about yourself. We have been hanging out, been so close yet I barely know anything about you.” Jackson poured out his thoughts, those words came out with a sad undertone.

 

Mark looked at the younger, trying to take in the sad vibes and understand because did something happened while he was resting earlier.

 

“I’m just upset over everything, it to know that I could have prevented what happened yesterday by giving you a ride but instead you got hurt and I would have known nothing if I didn't found you earlier.” Jackson continued, unknowingly answering the questions in the author’s head.

 

“Hey, don’t feel bad. What happened yesterday was not expected so it’s no one's fault. For me, it’s good enough that you actually care to help me even after what happened between us. If you didn’t appear earlier, I would already be sent off to the hospital straight.” The author assured, making sure that the younger know that he was just grateful that Jackson actually care to help and he shouldn’t feel bad about something that already happened.

 

“But...it’s not ok...it’s something that I could have prevented...I should have ask Jaebum to drive you back...or I should have drive myself there…” Jackson rambled on, hard on himself which cause Mark to pull him into a hug just to stop him. 

 

“It’s ok, you being here now it’s already more than enough for me.” The older assured, hugging the younger in his arms tighter while patting his back.

 

“I hate you, you pamper me way too much. You should scold me or beat me for shouting and misunderstanding your intentions but instead you are hugging me like this. I don’t deserve this.” Jackson complained like a child, he hates it that the author always give in to him and right now, he just realize how much he misses Mark’s warmness.

 

“I will, don’t worry. I will make sure that I bully you once I’m healthy again. Just you wait, don’t complain.” The older joked, poking the young president’s cheeks before they break into laughter.

 

“Let’s just stay like this for awhile, I need this hug badly.” Jackson muttered out, holding on to the author tight because he realized how much he needed this hug.

 

The older smiled at those words, the younger clearly didn’t know how much he needed this hug either.

 

-------------

 

“Why are we still stuck on this issue, son? Why can’t we just get this done?” Mr Park’s voice boomed throughout Jinyoung’s office which makes his son sigh while praying that didn’t caught any staffs attention but too bad, it did caught his fiance’s attention though.

 

Yerim who only thought on surprising her fiance by picking him up for lunch obviously didn’t expect to overhear the son & father pair arguing about something, making her worry as she just stands there by the door quietly listening in afterall it wouldn’t hurt right to know what’s the issue.

 

“Dad, can you just stop it? I already did everything that you wanted so leave this issue alone. You promise me that you won’t drag anyone into a mess if I go through with your deal.” Jinyoung reasoned, his tone doesn’t sound calm nor too happy about the issue.

 

“I would have let it rest if only you have kept your promise to stay away from him but no instead you turn into his stalker by stopping by that stupid apartment every night. Where is your promise, Jinyoung?” Mr Park snapped before throwing what seems like a handful of pictures of Jinyoung parking by Mark’s apartment building almost every night.

 

“Him? Stay away? What’s going on?” Yerim wondered to herself,  knowing that those words seems rather familiar even though she just heard of it today.

 

“You had someone followed me? That’s not fair, I already did everything you wanted including marrying her next month so why must you probe into this again. Just leave me alone.” Jinyoung argued back, he seriously had enough as he dump those pictures into his trash can.

 

“I raise you up to be the perfect son that everyone would want, I didn’t raise you up to fall in love with that loser so until you totally give up on him, I will watch your every move and if you don’t plan to stop now then don’t blame me if I drag him to hell together with you. His life and everything will just disappear.” Mr Park warned, looking at his son with no mercy because all he cares about is his perfect family reputation.

 

“You better fix things with Yerim, her dad had told me that she had been quite depressed lately. It’s your job to make her feel better and fix your damages. I don’t care how you do it but this marriage better fall through.” Mr Park continues, throwing some movie tickets to his son’s desk.

 

“I already plan some movie for you guys today, bring her out and about to cheer her up or something. Just fix things because I don’t want to hear anymore rubbish from her father again.” Mr Park added on before making his way out of the office, he doesn't have time to deal with nonsense.

 

Unaware to both, the person that they had been talking about heard every word and it’s now crying behind the pillar not too far from the door, trying to hide herself from the pair.

 

“It wasn’t just in my head, my guess might be correct after all.” Yerim muttered out to herself as realization hits her at how scary her future husband and father in law real faces are.

 

Who’s she lying to if she say this doesn’t hurt because it hurts like crazy but she knows that she can’t use emotion to deal with them, therefore she will it all up and dig to the bottom of this.

 

Taking a deep breath, she wiped her tears away and touch up her make up before going to meet her future husband who clearly didn’t expect her coming.

 

“Yerim, you’re early. I was about to leave to pick you up.” Jinyoung muttered out in surprise, he didn’t expect to see her coming to pick him up instead.

 

“Oh..class ended early . I thought of picking you up for a change.” Yerim answered with her usual cheery smile, trying her best to control those hurt and angry emotion.

 

“How sweet! Come on, let’s go and grab lunch after that we can catch a movie. I got tickets.” Jinyoung said happily before making their way out of Park Group building.

 

“Actually Oppa, can we go somewhere after lunch?” Yerim asked slowly after they are buckled up in the said men’s car on their way to lunch.

 

“Sure, where?” Jinyoung asked, not putting much thoughts at what’s the request gonna be after all his mind is already full of his father’s words.

 

“Mark’s oppa place. I want his opinion on our available wedding cards option since he seems to have a good eye and taste for things.” Yerim said nonchalantly, watching the other’s expression turn panicky.

 

“Well, I don’t mind but it’s our wedding invitation so I think it’s just best for us to pick among ourselves. Let’s not disturb him.” Jinyoung answered with a straight face, trying to change the younger’s mind but Yerim clearly aren’t budging.

 

“I’m sure he wouldn’t mind, please. I really want his opinion.” Yerim acted cutely, smiling innocently while purposely pressurising Jinyoung until he can’t reject the request.

 

Jinyoung who left with no choice could only nod to the stupid request because seriously he doesn’t know what this women trying to do but please don’t get him into trouble.

 

“Thank you, Oppa. I can’t wait to meet him, it’s been a while since we last saw him.” Yerim thanked, watching that stoic expression that clearly not too happy.

 

She doesn’t mean any harm but she needs some kind of an answer from Mark or she might end up just spending the rest of her life loving and married to a hidden monster.


Hi everyone! It's been a while, I'm so sorry for the wait because I originally had planned to post this 1 week after the previous chapter but got caught up with lots of daily stuffs. Now, it's finally up and hope you guys enjoy it, don't forget to share your thoughts on this chapter. This story might be a bit longer than I originally planned which is 10 chapters but currently it might expand between 13 to 15 chapters. My aim is to get this story completed within this year itself so let's fight through it. See you all soon, InfinitelyCassie :)