Knock 3

Knocking On Your Heart

KNOCK 3

 

“Hey Mark.” Jackson greeted his neighbour who clearly look lost while trying his best not to laugh at the struck individual beside the other.

“Hey Jackson, what are you doing here?” Mark replied in their native language out of the confusion, he wasn’t used seeing a struck Youngjae after all.

Working in this industry, it’s a given to face well known figures so he just didn’t understand why his neighbour affected the usually unfazed reporter so bad.

“It’s Jackson Wang, Jackson Wang.” Youngjae muttered out suddenly, nudging him like crazy making the amused president to chuckle while Mark stays confused, looking at the two.

“You are Youngjae shii, right? The one that’s interviewing me today?” Jackson asked which caused the reporter to quickly nodded, feeling honor to talk to the young Wang at this moment.

“Come, we will seat in one of our private room for the interview.” Jackson said before leading the excited and confused individual to a more closed area of the restaurant which Mark assumed it’s more of a VIP area.

“Young, are you ok? You aren’t usually like that.” Mark asked, a bit weirded out by the way his junior acting, almost like a fanboy who's internally screaming for his idol.

“Hyung, do you know how lucky I’m to interview him? It’s difficult to get an interview with him. He’s the youngest president around with stunning visual and outstanding capabilities, the media don’t named him ‘God’ for nothing. “ Youngjae sighed in pure admiration at the man walking ahead of them while Mark tries to absorb that information, he wasn’t expecting that coming from a man who talk about cheese seriously.

Unknown to them Jackson clearly heard everything because the duo aren’t exactly being quiet about it and he can help smiling at the reporter's words, it will be fun to befriend Youngjae indeed.

Just like the reporter mentioned, he wasn’t the type to accept interview easily since more than half of the time, they are more interested in his private life than business and he wasn’t the type to blabber about juicy info and whatnot but when he receive the request from ‘Buzz’ magazine with a picture of the reporter included since it was one his procedure to come with a request, Jackson was more than happy to accept since he clearly received chill and good vibe from the other since the corridor conversation he overheard.

 

“Do you want us to take pictures of you first or later, Mr Wang?” Youngjae managed to asked after pulling himself back to professional mode.

 

“Later will be nice, how about we talk first?” Jackson suggested, inviting the duo to take a seat before asking his appearing waitress to serve his guests drinks.

 

Mark plopped himself a seat away from the two just so the younger would have space and be comfortable interviewing while he snapped some profile shots like the reporter managed to instructed him before entering the room.

 

As the interview goes on, Mark got to learn a lot of things about his neighbour like how he is from Hong Kong, how his hobbies are rather simple for a president, how he started learning the rope from his father at an early age and turned into successful men at the young age of twenty six.

 

Jackson was definitely something else in his professional mode, he was charismatic,witty and confident but still very grounded and friendly like usual, it’s not like as if Mark knows him well enough since they only had that few encounters but still his neighbour was admirable enough in his eyes.


“Thank you, Mr Wang. It has been such an honor interviewing you today.” Youngjae’s voice was heard, pulling Mark out of his thoughts has it seems like half an hour just flew by like that while he listen to the interview.

 

“Thank you, Youngjae shii. I hope you write good stuffs about me and just call me, Jackson. I feel awkward with all the formality.” Jackson said in return before looking at Mark who's clearly staring at him, looking a bit dazed.

 

“I know I’m fabulous Mark, stop staring.” Jackson commented in their native language causing Mark to unconsciously rolled his eyes before going over to smack his arm.

 

“Stop being so full of yourself, Wang Ka Yee.” Mark rebutted, his neighbour native name rolled off his tongue easier than expected before they share a laugh, confusing the reporter who clearly noticed their interaction from earlier.

 

“Mark hyung, you know Jackson shii?” Youngjae asked, playfully glaring at the older who totally forgets to introduce his best friend to his neighbour.

 

“Yes, Jackson recently moves into the apartment opposite of mine so we are neighbours.” Mark explained while Jackson nodded causing Youngjae‘s eyes to sparkle at the thought of being friend with Jackson Wang.

 

“I can sense a confession coming up.” Mark muttered in chinese, making Jackson rise his eyebrows in question as he looks at the reporter like how the other did.

 

“Can I be your friend, Jackson shii?” Youngjae asked like a five year old which caused Mark who expected it to chuckle while Jackson who's taken aback by the puppy eyes can only nod instead.

 

Youngjae cheered like a child before hugging his Mark hyung, the celebration was cut short when they heard a stomach growling, clearly from the embarrassed reporter.

 

Mark sighed, knowing that the younger skips breakfast again due to work causing Youngjae to smile sheepishly.

 

“Go on and enjoy the food, Youngjae shii. We have a free buffet set up for the guests today.” Jackson offered causing Youngjae to quickly to thanked the president, leaving his hyung alone with his neighbour.

 

“He always like that, not taking care of himself.” Mark mumbled as he picked his bag and camera before asking Jackson to pose, not forgetting the shots for the article main picture.

 

“Don’t worry too much, I’m sure he didn’t do it on purpose.” Jackson commented after his shots, obviously trying to pacify his neighbor who only nodded in clear understanding as they slow walk side by side out of the private room.

 

“So you like how my name sounds?” Jackson commented, breaking the short pause that’s building up as they walked.

 

“Nah, it’s too difficult for my tongue.” Mark teased with a nonchalant look which caused the smiling individual beside him to frown instantly.

 

“I’m kidding, your name is lovely.” Mark exclaimed before giggling upon noticing the small pout forming on the other.

 

“Seriously, you scare me. I thought you meant it because it’s isn’t exactly the type of name people can pronounce properly without butchering it.” Jackson sighed in relief before playfully punched his neighbour causing the author to mouthed ‘sorry’.

 

“Fine but you need to try this dessert, it’s based on my idea.” Jackson pouted, excitedly dragging his neighbour to the crowd before asking the clueless author to wait as he went to grab a piece from the buffet table.

 

Mark look around awkwardly as he wasn’t used to this kind of high crowd in a while, it’s makes him feel lost but luckily he spotted Youngjae chatting with other reporters which helps him to feel less out of place.

 

“Sorry, it took a while. Somebody greeted on the way back here.” Jackson reappears with the plate of cheesecake meant for his neighbour to taste.

 

“Remember how we talk about that bakery, I managed to taste their egg tarts and cheesecake. I like it so much that I infused it together and created this.” Jackson excitedly explains before scooping a spoonful, ready to feed the author who was a bit hesitant due to the eyes watching them including Youngjae’s sparkling ones.

 

“Come on, please.” The president used his puppy eyes causing the author to sighed in defeat before accepting the feeding which they didn’t realize was snapped a picture by Jaebum’s assistance, Jisu.

 

Mark could only nodded his head in bliss before giving the excited individual in front of him a thumbs up, making Jackson cheer before feeding the other more without caring about those eyes watching.

 

As the president busy telling his story on how the dessert came to be, their chat was cut short when Jackson spotted Jisu approaching them, making him instantly frown.

 

“Congrats, CEO Wang.”Jisu greeted causing Jackson to mumbled a rather cold ‘thank you’ which of course makes the author wonder what's the change of attitude about.

 

Mark watches how the lady is explaining at how sorry her boss is for not being able to attend the event today and she was sent as a representative instead which just caused his neighbour to frown more.

 

Not sure on how to act towards the rather tense situation, he wanted to excuse himself with the intention of giving them space but what Jackson said caught him by surprise.

 

“Let me walk you out.”  Jackson said before walking past the lady who looked rather offended but she didn’t to say a thing and just watches him and Jackson go.

 

On the way out, Mark managed to bid farewell to the still chatting Youngjae before parting ways with his neighbour at the front of the restaurant.

 

“I guess, I will see you around again. Congrats on this opening.” Mark said, smiling which Jackson returned as he nodded before awkwardly pulling the author into a bear hug.

 

“I will be around for our food dates that I promised you.” Jackson said sincerely when he let go causing the author to be speechless, he didn’t expect this kind of sincerity when they make that deal.

 

“Take care on the way back.” The president continued which only earned a dumb nod from Mark before he waved goodbye and be on his way to his editor to passed his finished manuscript like how he had originally planned before Youngjae’s call of help.

 

He spend a good an hour and a half over at the editor before he decided to walk around the nearby mall where he usually has his coffee dates with Jinyoung up until recently since the other got too busy to even date properly.

 

When he finally decided to stop by the cafe to grabbed some coffee and snacks, he was thrilled to see a piece  of their rare cheese tarts still on the shelves but as he ask for it, another voice echoed his causing him to turn towards the voice and he was greeted with a sweet lady smiling at him in surprise.

 

“You are getting that?” The lady asked which caused Mark to quickly shook his head before signalling the lady to go ahead, feeling a bit silly to fight with a lady over a cheese tart.

 

“Thank you.” The lady thanked before resuming with her order while Mark picked a simple chocolate cake and cream puff to pair with his ice chocolate.

 

As they were somehow waiting for their order at the side, a rather familiar voice was heard before that particular face appears beside the lady and asking if she already done ordering, totally unaware of the person watching him.

 

“It’s done, Oppa. Thanks to him, I got to order my favorite tart.” The lady answered sweetly to the man before pointing towards Mark who just watches the charismatic smile on that face slowly disappears when he came in sight.

 

Mark wasn’t dumb, at this point he clearly knows who's the lady by the said man side and it wasn’t like he didn’t felt that piercing through his heart but he keep his nonchalant look.

 

“Jinyoung.” Mark called out that name causing the said person to snapped from his shock before trying to act normal when he saw the confused look on his fiance’s face.

 

“M..mark, what are you doing here?” Jinyoung asked, trying to strike a normal conversation but he sounded make stupid that expected because the author only pointed at the coffee which caused his fiancee to giggled.

 

“Oppa, who is this? He is funny.” The lady commented causing Jinyoung to sputtered while Mark just gave a sarcastic smile to his boyfriend.

 

“Mark, my b…” Jinyoung stuttered, conflicted while Mark just laughed dryly at the stupidity of this situation, it was really stupid indeed.

 

“Mark Tuan, his best friend.” Mark answered cooly causing the lady to nod , seemingly pleased to meet her fiance’s best friend.

 

“I’m Jinyoung’s fiance, Song Yerim.” Yerim  introduced herself since her fiance seems to have some difficult talking at this moment.

 

“Fiance? I didn’t know you got engaged. Congrats, best friend.” Mark purposely said smiling before turning to look at Jinyoung who was speechless and having an internal breakdown.

 

“You didn’t invite your best friend, Oppa?” Yerim asked, a bit lost as to why this said person isn’t there during their engagement when his a best friend.

 

Seeing how cat got his boyfriend’s tongue, Mark decided to feed the lady’s curiosity with another lie that Jinyoung unable to deliver at the moment.

 

“I might had been overseas then.” Mark said causing the lady to nod before looking at her fiance who slowly breaking out in sweats while Mark was saved by his readied order.

 

“See you around, best friend.” Mark said, emphasizing on the ‘best friend’ part before bidding farewell to the couple, walking out of there with more bleeding wounds that he’s expecting.

 

+++

 

Jackson’s head celebrates as the opening comes to an end, with just a few guests left and he was ready to return back to his cozy apartment after working like crazy for the past two weeks for this big opening, the very first branch that his in change of.

 

He chatted a bit more with the guests before finally excusing himself when he realized Jisu was talking to a newly arrived individual, who he clearly didn’t expect to see here since he already sent his representative.

 

When the said person caught the sight of him, he immediately heads straight for Jackson before dragging him to a corner, not caring about the few pairs of eyes watching them in curiosity.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jackson asked coldly, pulling his hand out of Jaebum’s hold slowly since he didn’t want to attract too much attention towards them.

 

“I came for you, Jackson. Why are you acting like this?” Jaebum asked, keeping his cool as he look at the rather nonchalant Jackson who's putting on a straight face.

 

“Like what? I’m just being me.” Jackson answered, looking at how the other’s temper slowly sipping out as he continue staring his face.

 

“Please, don’t. You wanted me to care more, I came and you acting like this.” Jaebum reasoned nicely, still controlling the annoyance in him.

 

“I appreciate the effort but it’s long overdue, you should have thought about that when we are still together. “ Jackson said coolly before trying to walk out of that corner but a hand stop him by his arm.

 

“We are, I’m not done with this relationship. You can’t easily conclude that we are done.” Jaebum said with a low firm tone as his eyes stares intensely at Jackson.

 

“That’s you, things ended for me the moment I left that apartment. I concluded the ending because you can’t, you were too busy with other things  to even give it an end.” Jackson said dryly before yanking his arm out of the hold, emphasizing his point in this conversation.

 

“You ended things because you got someone else, right? You should have just say it, stop using me as an excuse to end things.” Jaebum finally hissed, losing the control in him because he can’t accept the fact that Jackson acting like a brat who didn’t get his candy.

 

“You see, you never see the fault in yourself. At the end of the day, it’s up to you to think whatever you want. I’m seriously done with us, with you.” Jackson sighed, giving another look towards the annoyed man before walking away, he’s done with Im Jaebum.

 

Jackson didn’t think twice to leave the restaurant after telling his assistance to deal with the clean up, he was done for the day and he just wants his shower and bed.

 

It just that luck wasn’t on his side when he was greeted with a flooded washroom and a dead circuit when he got back, he knows that the piping in his apartment is old but he didn’t expect it to burst open today.

 

Left with the huge mess in the washroom, he tries to save what he can before quickly calling the landlady, luckily it didn’t took to long for her to attend to the issue but it might take a few days to fix the issue.

 

Jackson instantly breakdown mentally, he don’t really have anywhere to bunked for the next few days since the apartment won’t be liveable until the fixing is done.

 

Even though he has been in Korea for two years, he didn’t really have any best friend here since he is too busy juggling work and love.

 

The only person that pops up in mind is his new neighbour, he didn’t know if it’s the best idea since they barely know each other, it will be weird to ask the other but he also knows that the individual was his only option excluding Jaebum.

Taking a deep breath,  he head straight next door while leaving the landlady discussing with the repairman and rings on his neighbor's door.

 

Mark wasn’t feeling that well after that encounter causing him to just stayed bundled up in his hoodie while watching random shows on the sofa.

 

When he heard the doorbell, he raised his eyebrows while slowly making his way to the door while now realizing that he was swaying with every steps.

 

“Hey!” Jackson greeted awkwardly with a big smile when the door opens but in a flash it disappears when a pale looking Mark greeted him.

 

“Jackson, what’s up?” Mark asked, putting on a smile while trying to act normal even though he saw the expression change on his neighbour.

 

“Are you alright? You look unwell.” Jackson questioned, looking worriedly at the author while Mark only give a soft nod while trying to ignore the spin his feeling coming up.

 

“I’m fine, you wanna come in?” Mark managed to offer before moving aside to make way for his guest but loses his balance, surprising Jackson who luckily managed to break the fall by stretching his arm and supporting his waist.

 

“Who are you kidding? You are not well.” Jackson sighed, immediately supporting the other to the sofa after closing the door behind him.

 

“I’m fine, it’s just one of those days where I get feverish. It’s normal for me.” Mark weakly reasoned when he saw the clear discontentment on Jackson’s face when the president seated him down.

 

“It’s not normal, you can’t treat this lightly. It’s not healthy for you.” Jackson grumbled after plopping down beside his neighbour, hands immediately fishing out his phone from his jeans pocket.

 

The president quickly gave his family doctor a call on the emergency while Mark could only watch, he didn’t even have the energy to argue with the other.

 

“My family doctor is on the way, let’s get you rested on the bed first.” Jackson informed the moment the call ended before carrying the feverish individual in his arms, bridal style.

 

“I don’t want to trouble you, I will be fine by tomorrow.” Mark whispered out, loud enough for his neighbour to hear causing Jackson to smile softly at the other’s words

 

“Don’t you worry, just get yourself well first.” Jackson ensured as he put his neighbour down on the bed before lightly patting his head, making Mark feel attended to for once.

 

The author could only smile weakly as he listen to the president talking, trying to fill up the gap as they waited for the doctor.

 

Luckily about half an hour later, the doctor arrived and when Jackson bought the father like figure into Mark’s room, the elder was beyond surprise to see the pale face that greeted him.

 

“Yi En!” The elder exclaimed, surprising both the younger ones before Mark slowly took in the face that he sees since a child.

 

“Uncle Lu.” Mark uttered out the name that he never imagine saying again since he left for Korea.

 

“Son, it’s been ages. You look so sick.” Uncle Lu exclaimed sadly in mandarin as he took a seat beside the child that he has been looking for since he opened a hospital in Seoul, three years ago.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t took better care of myself.” Mark apologized in the native language while Jackson just watches the exchange between them while trying to figure out the link between them.

 

Uncle Lu just shook his head before giving a reassuring pat on the author’s hand before getting started to do his check.

 

It went on smoothly and with the tiny  dose of medicine he given Mark, the author instantly zoomed off to dreamland.

 

“Is he gonna be alright, Uncle?” Jackson asked after they settled down in the living room, clearly concerned about his neighbour’s well being.

 

“It’s gonna be fine, don’t worry. He just needs plenty of rest and it’s best if he stay away from stress. Due to his past depression condition, he will turn feverish when under pressure or going through a big amount of stress. It’s not healthy if he keeps keeping everything to himself, the depression might return.” Uncle Lu explains which of course caught the president by surprise, he for sure didn’t know Mark has so much on his plate right now.

 

“Past depression?” Jackson unconsciously blurts out, curious as to what happened in his new neighbour’s past.

 

“You didn’t know what happened to your fiance? He didn’t tell you?” Uncle Lu asked with a straight face, like he was serious while Jackson’s head just breaks down.

 

“Isn’t he the one you propose to, the one you told me before? Your parents haven’t met him, right? They will love him.” Uncle Lu exclaimed with a big approval smile while totally missing out on Jackson’s cramped smile, his head cracking while trying to find a way to explain to the elder.

 

Before Jackson could form a sentence to clear the misunderstanding, Uncle Lu’s phone rang due to an emergency situation back at the hospital and before you know it, the elder was gone while Jackson was left mentally broken down with a bag of prescripted medicine for his neighbour.

 

That night after grabbing his needs from next door and settling for the sofa in the living, Jackson spends way too much time than he plans thinking of a way to clear Uncle Lu’s misunderstanding before it reaches his parents.

 

No matter how hard he tries, it’s difficult to be upfront about the truth that Im Jaebum has issues and settling down seems to be one when he confidently told his parents that they were too in love for Jaebum to reject his proposal.

 

Jackson didn’t know where the confidence come from but if we are talking about the then Jaebum, maybe it’s true that he won’t reject but the now Jaebum, he can’t even ask him out without arguing on the phone.

 

It was really silly of him to think that someone like Jaebum who's the successor of his father’s law firm would want to commit early and it didn’t help that he's a workaholic too so Jackson should know better but he still went on with his silly idea.

 

The president sigh deeply before throwing those painful thoughts away, trying to get some sleep without thinking about stupid Im Jaebum.

 

+++

 

The moment Mark opened his eyes, he feels light thanks to the medicine which clearly got rid of the feverish temperature and the slight throbbing on his head.

 

He slowly get out of bed to just be greeted by the faint snores of his soundly asleep neighbour on the living room’s sofa which makes him, smile.

 

The author was amused by the sight that greeted his eyes, it was definitely a cute sight to see the usually cool Jackson in kitty printed pyjamas pants and white tank top.

 

Mark found himself staring at the sight longer than he planned before he slowly walked away when he remembers that he doesn't have enough grocery to make breakfast.

 

He quickly heads out to the morning market nearby after a quick refreshing shower and leaving a note for his asleep neighbour on the coffee table of his whereabout.

 

When Jackson finally woke up, he was surprised to see that note, let alone the idea of his neighbour running about after being sick yesterday but he decided to trust the guy for now and head for the shower.

 

People might call him dramatic but to be out and alive of a morning market, it’s an accomplishment especially on Saturday, it’s the day where everyone in a family somehow gathers to pick out their favourite ingredient.

 

Mark could only sigh in contentment when he finally reaches the apartment lobby with bags of grocery, even though it’s a bit late but at least he got good deals for his groceries.

 

When he finally reached his floor, he was greeted with a lost looking individual whose fiddling with his phone, standing not to far from the lift area.

 

He wasn’t sure if the individual needed help but after seeing the frustration on his face, Mark decided to ask.

 

“Can I help you with something?” Mark asked, surprising the individual who immediately smile a little out of formality.

 

“I’m looking for my..” The individual was cut when a voice was heard coming from their left, surprising both.

 

“Mark, what took you so long?” Jackson whined out playfully without realizing the person standing beside his neighbour.

 

He was just drying his hair when he overheard footsteps outside which immediately caused him to assumed it’s his neighbour, clearly never expecting anyone else.

 

“Jack..son” Jaebum stuttered out in shock, clearly wasn’t used to seeing his partner in bathrobe while calling out for someone else.

 

Jackson’s eyes zeroed in on the lawyer, wondering what’s he doing here and what he’s planning to do with Mark after knowing that Jisu clearly told the lawyer about Mark’s existence.

 

He walked out of the apartment, aiming straight for the author’s arm before dragging him away from the baffled lawyer who of course go after them while Mark is lost and stuck in this situation.

 

“Where do you think you are going? I need to talk to you.” Jaebum exclaimed firmly, standing right in front of the two with a clear attempt of blocking their way until he gets his answer.

 

“I’m done, you can kindly exit.” Jackson responded, his tone was surprisingly harsh instead of sarcastic which the lawyer usually expected from the ‘childish’ other.

 

“Stop it, who is he?” Jaebum hissed, he was beyond pissed at the moment, he don’t like this stubborn side of Jackson at all.

 

“He is none of your concern.” Jackson answered sharply, holding the author closer while making sure  that Mark stay safe which just annoyed the lawyer even more..

 

“Do you hear yourself? What are you doing with him? I want you home.” Jaebum exclaimed, almost barking because he wants Jackson back and he ain’t playing anymore at this point.

 

“He is my home now. I found a new one because the previous one didn’t need me.” Jackson said calmly, looking straight at Jaebum’s just to witness guilt flashes on his face for a second even though he knows the lawyer tries to control his expression.

 

“Jackson Wang, stop playing games. I’m done with this, you either come back with me or we are done.” Jaebum reasoned, tone definitely softer than before, he just wants the other home.

 

“Aren’t we already long overdue? We are done from the moment you rejected my proposal on my birthday because the firm needed you, your family needed you but apparently I didn’t need you. “ Jackson said seriously, making himself clear before taking Mark’s hand into his and continue their way towards Mark’s apartment.

 

“Jackson, please understand…” Jaebum almost begging as he goes after the pair which of course make Mark feel bad for the individual but his neighbour ain’t budging and just kept on walking until they reach his front door than the president finally turns.

 

“I understand everything thoroughly, therefore I picked the decision to leave so that you won’t be burdened by me, Im Jaebum. From now on, live the life that you clearly had installed for yourself without me.” Jackson said dryly, giving  the lawyer one last look before he enters the apartment with Mark and closes the door behind them.

 

Mark didn’t say a thing, he just look at how tired and distraught his neighbour is as he rested himself on the door with his eyes closed, sadness was clear in the air.

 


“I’m sorry I put you through that, you shouldn’t had witness that.” Jackson sighed as he slowly open his eyes before giving his neighbour a bittersweet smile.

 

Mark just shook his head, returning the smile because he knows, no one wants someone to witness those moments, those times that you hurt so bad that you rather it didn’t exist in the first place.

 

“Now you know how bad I am, you wouldn’t even want to date me.” Jackson sighed dramatically in attempt to lighten the mood as he smile sheepishly which works because the author chuckled.

 

“Well...we will see….if you court me right, just maybe you will win my heart. Now, let’s start with breakfast…” Mark followed along playfully, passing all the bags of groceries to his neighbor before running away.

 

 


 

Hello everyone, I'm so sorry this chapter took longer than I expected as a lot as happened in my life so it got me into a writer block but hopefully I will get better as the ideas started to flow in again. Hope you guys enjoy this and comment below. Until than take care and stay sweet my dear Influffies :))

<3 InfinitelyCassie