Of Puppies and Treats

I Won't Give Up

Of Puppies and Treats

When Jinki enters Kibum’s apartment with a large box in his hand, Kibum eyes him skeptically. When the box yips, he raises an eyebrow in question. Jinki just smiles sheepishly and puts the box down and out jumps a small puppy, small legs getting caught on the edges before it tumbles to the ground.

Kibum just stares at the canine in their living room as Jinki sits down on the floor and reaches a hand out towards the puppy so he can sniff it.

“A dog?” Kibum questions when he deems the silence has been going on for too long without an appropriate answer to his silent question. Jinki looks up from where he’s letting his fingers over soft fur and sends Kibum another sheepish smile.

“Happy birthday baby.”

Kibum rolls his eyes and returns to the office.


A dog is not what he had written on his wish list. In fact, it was probably the only thing he hadn’t expected to get from Jinki. Kibum hasn’t ever really taken care of animals like that and he’s not entirely sure how to feel about the gift.

Sure, they’d been talking about doing something together but Kibum had been expecting a month off to travel Europe or go on a safari in Africa. Hell, they could’ve gone on a road trip in the America’s, Kibum doesn’t care.

He just wasn’t expecting to raise a dog with Jinki. If Kibum is honest, this seems like such an awful idea. Getting a dog is like getting a child, something they’ll have to love and take care of for the next 10 years minimum.

He just doesn’t know if he’s ready for the responsibility, really. He’s young and - oh right, they’re both idols and ridiculously busy at times. This is a bad idea.


He walks towards the living room again when he hears Jinki laugh and when he’s close enough he peeks inside and watches as the puppy smothers his boyfriend with unconditional love.

Kibum frowns a little. The puppy is cute but they have to hand it back. It can’t stay with them. If anything just because Kibum will feel horrible for neglecting the dog when he’s at work. Jinki looks up and notices him and waves him inside. Kibum crosses his arms over his chest and leans against the door frame.

“Babe, this is a bad idea,” he says. Jinki looks confused for a short moment before he smiles wide when the puppy tackles his toes and yips when he moves them back and forth.

“Oh, come on. You’re going to love him! You always look at Jonghyun and Roo with such jealousy, don’t be so negative. We can do this. Together.”

Jinki grabs the puppy and brings it onto his lap and the dog wiggles free and starts running in circles around their living room. Kibum rolls his eyes a little and sets his gaze on the small creature that is roaming their living room. When the dog pees on the floor and Jinki yelps in distress Kibum suppresses a snicker.

“Your dog,” he says, indicating that Jinki has to clean up and leaves them again.


Kibum is reading up on a script for a new musical he has been offered a role in and it’s been a few hours. Jinki and the puppy has quieted down, no more groans when the puppy does what Jinki doesn’t want it to and no more laughter when they play around. Kibum suspects they’ve both fallen asleep. It wouldn’t be surprising in any way, Jinki often snoozes on the couch in the afternoon like this.

Kibum is so into his script-reading that the cold snout that touches his ankle surprises him and he lets out a low shriek. The puppy is wagging its tail, looking expectantly at Kibum. The big wide eyes are staring at him, begging for him to love it and Kibum surrenders a few seconds in. Damn puppies and their cuteness.

As he puts the script away on the table and sinks from the chair to the floor, the puppy finds a spot in Kibum’s lap and curls up after having his hand a few times. Kibum stares at the soft brown fur of the poodle puppy and automatically lets his fingers run over it. It’s as soft as it looks and Kibum continues petting the puppy.

He can practically feel his heart melting at the sight of the unconditional love he’s given and the fact that the small puppy is now sleeping in his lap like it decided the best place to sleep is beside Kibum, slowly wins him over.


When Jinki wakes up an hour later, Kibum sits on the kitchen floor, puppy treats in hand while he tries to train the puppy to sit. Jinki watches his boyfriend for a few moments before he makes his presence known and Kibum looks up and the puppy snatches the treat from his fingers.

“Hey babe. I named him Comme Des. Isn’t he cute? He already knows how to sit!”

Kibum lifts the treat above the dog’s head and the puppy sits when it can’t follow the treat anymore while standing. Kibum glowers with pride as he showers the puppy with love. Jinki sends him a soft smile, the sight only making him love Kibum even more.

“Wait, Comme Des?” he asks and Kibum looks up to meet Jinki’s gaze.

“Yeah, he’s my birthday present so I assumed I could name him,” he says and Jinki sighs a little.

“But a fashion brand?”

Jinki sits down in front of his boyfriend and the puppy but Comme Des stays focused on Kibum and the treats. Kibum nods a little.

“He will be the most fabulous of all puppies in the neighbourhood.”

Then he scoots towards Jinki and leans in. Before they get to kiss, however, Comme Des leans on Kibum’s shoulder and forces his hand open so he can get the treats. Jinki starts laughing and grabs Kibum’s now empty hand.

Maybe this is not such a bad idea after all.

author's notes

Okay, so imagine Jinki gifting Kibum Comme Des as a birthday present, because that's what I did when I wrote this and the result (well, at least in my head) is so adorable. Kibum being all practical to begin with and yet falling in love with those adorable brown eyes and the beautiful little puppy and Jinki being all void of responsibility until he has to be mature, haha. 

Of course they're dating in this but ... man, puppies. <3