Overdressed

I Won't Give Up

Overdressed

Kibum stares into his wardrobe. Jackets, t-shirts, pants, dress shirts and jeans stare back at him. Kibum sighs.

He has a date with Jinki in 2 hours and he wants to look impeccable. It’s their first official date and Kibum knows it’s going to be special, because he is absolutely irrevocably in love with the other man.

It had been fate when they met. Kibum had been walking Comme Des and Garcons in the small park next to the his apartment block a windy November day when his scarf had gotten loose and blown off of his neck.

Kibum had turned around the moment he had felt the garment slip around his neck but he hadn’t been quick enough to catch it and the dogs had been pulling him in the other direction. He had fought Comme Des but someone else had picked the scarf up before Kibum had been able to get to it.

It had only taken one look for Kibum to realise that the man had been special.

Their meeting was like a movie and things in real life never plays out the way they do in movies. Kibum had imagined everything happening, the best scenario being that the other man had left with Kibum’s scarf without harming Kibum or the dogs, but Jinki had exceeded every expectations.

Jinki is like a male lead in a drama, the most perfect man alive, even with his flaws. Not only is his appearance gorgeous, his personality is wonderful as well. He’s kind and funny and a great listener and Kibum had been sure he had been a fragment of his fantasy if it wasn’t because Jinki’s laugh was so very real and his smile so incredibly warm.

 

It all leads to this moment with Kibum staring into his wardrobe, looking for a fitting outfit for their first date. Nothing in his wardrobe appeals to him, though. He knows he’s got plenty of clothes and his fashion sense is praised among friends and co-workers but for some reason, finding something that could possibly match Jinki seems impossible.

He removes a few dress shirts before he gets to a white one. He grabs a black sweater with print as well and a pair of black skinny jeans. When he’s dressed, the sweater over the dress shirt, he turns to look at the mirror. It looks too casual. He rummages through his wardrobe to find his grey coat but even with the finer coat the outfit is too casual. Kibum doesn’t want to be too casual.

He sighs before he undresses again and leaves the clothes on his bed.

Then he spots his white-dotted dress shirt and pulls it out as well. Another pair of black skinny jeans together with the dress shirt later and Kibum stares at the mirror with a frown. It’s not a bad outfit by any means, it’s just very simple. Kibum is not a very simple man, though. It doesn’t feel like him. He looks through his wardrobe until he finds his Burberry coat and pulls it on but it doesn’t work out the way he wants it to work out. Kibum scoffs when he undresses again.

His leather pants and the Saint Laurent jacket doesn’t work either, it makes him look pretentious and if there is one thing Kim Kibum is not, it’s pretentious. He looks back at his bed with a snort. The dismissed clothes are starting to pile up. Kibum takes another look in the mirror but he’s not giving up. He can look gorgeous for this date. He will be looking gorgeous.

 

It takes another 30 minutes before Kibum finally settles on a pair of skinny black jeans. He digs through the pile of dismissed clothes to find his favourite white dress shirt. It almost looks royal. If he was to wear a suit jacket it would look like an actual suit, but Kibum is not going to be that formal. That would be too much. Instead he finds a bright red trench coat and throws it over his shoulders.

He tilts his head as he stares at his reflection in the mirror. Something is missing. He tries a hat but that doesn’t work. He then grabs a pair of sunglasses but they don’t work either.

Kibum is almost crawling into his closet when he notices a scarf to his left. He had almost forgot he owned it but as he slings it around his neck it fits so perfectly there is nothing more to add. It’s almost like the time they met except Kibum hopes that Jinki doesn’t have to safe this scarf from wind.

 

Kibum is ready for his date with the most amazing man he has ever met 30 seconds before the door bell rings. When he opens the door, he’s staring at Jinki. Jinki is dressed in a t-shirt with print and a pair of worn jeans. He’s got sneakers on his feet and his hair looks like it hasn’t been styled very much. Still he looks absolutely gorgeous and Kibum sends him a shy smile.

“I thought this was just casual,” Jinki says and Kibum feels his heart plummet into his abdomen. Jinki widens his eyes when he notices the look in Kibum’s. “Oh no! I meant, you look absolutely gorgeous! I just feel very underdressed right now.”

He scratches his ankle with his other foot and nervously touches his hand. Kibum tries hard not to gape.

“But you look good,” he says and Jinki snorts a little before he looks up with a smile.

“Not as good as you, though.”

 

They head off towards the small restaurant hidden in a small side street and the further away they walk, the more overdressed Kibum feels. He has never felt this overdressed but Jinki has made it an art to tell Kibum just how absolutely beautiful he looks and Kibum is trying hard not to melt on the streets at all the praise.

Jinki grabs his hand when he pulls him towards a small stand on the street and looks through the things on display. Kibum holds his arm around his waist, hoping not to offend the seller but he’s really not interested in what’s on sale.

The only thing Kibum is really interested in is Jinki.

 

The food is delicious and Jinki’s laughter as he tells his stories is addictive and Kibum finds himself falling even more in love. He didn’t think it was possible but here he is. Jinki sends him a smile, reaches down to grab a piece of meat with his chopsticks and reaches it towards Kibum. Kibum just laughs when Jinki removes the chopsticks last minute and eats the piece of meat himself.

 

The stars are shining above when they head home. They’re walking through the park instead of walking on the main streets and Kibum has closed his jacket. Jinki grabs his hand and intertwines their fingers. Kibum smiles a little.

“Isn’t that too soon for a first date?” he asks as a joke and Jinki rolls his eyes and squeezes his hand.

“Shut up.”

A soft breeze hits them from the left and gently lifts Kibum’s scarf from his shoulder and the soft fabric slips off his neck and flies in the wind. Kibum turns around almost immediately and Jinki starts running to catch the scarf. Kibum follows him, their fingers still linked and the scarf continues its way down the path in the wind.

When Jinki finally catches it, he steps on it to stop it from flying away again. Kibum frowns when he’s handed the scarf and Jinki laughs a little.

“Sorry,” he says and Kibum shrugs a little before he puts it around his neck again and turns his head. He meets Jinki’s eyes and blinks a little in surprise, Jinki’s face closer than he had thought it would be.

“You’re forgiven,” Kibum says and smiles. Jinki’s face lightens up in another smile.

“I hope I haven’t scared you away, because I would like a second date.”

Kibum feels his heart skip a beat at the word and he forces his cheeks to not heat up in a pink blush. He’s not quite sure he’s successful, though.

“Next time you tell me where we’re going so I’m not overdressed!” Kibum says and Jinki chuckles a little.

“You’re not overdressed,” he says and Kibum doesn’t get to say anything before Jinki leans close to peck his lips. Jinki turns around and starts walking again, but Kibum is rooted to the spot. Their linked hands stop Jinki from moving very far.

“I don’t kiss on the first date,” Kibum says, voice shocked. Jinki winks.

“Neither do I,” Jinki says and Kibum wakes up from his trance.

“Oh please,” he says and Jinki laughs and pulls Kibum with him.

Kibum is in too deep but he wouldn’t want it any other way.

author's notes

So I read a story wherein one of the characters was getting dressed for a date and the comment "the other character would surely be dressing up so therefore he had to as well" came. So I thought "hey, what if one character dressed up and the other thought it was hella casual and was super dressed down?" 

The idea changed when I wrote it down, though, because I didn't intend for it to get this movie-romantic. It's kind of cheesy honestly. Jinki is a good bean and Kibum loves him so much. They have more dates than this, lmao. 

Anyway - enjoy, I guess~