Times Is Running Out // Soonyoung

Seventeen Short and Simple Stories

gif credit


His feet maneuvered smoothly through the maze of guests. He returned the smiles they sent his way politely, only disappearing once they turn from him. Tonight isn’t the night for socializing. Tonight, he had something important to do.

“3 minutes,” a voice said through his earpiece.

He stood in front of the thick wooden stand in the middle of the room that held his mission: the onyx & diamond panther bracelet. Priced at an outstanding $10 million for a bracelet, it rested on an inclined base with a pink piece of silk cloth, its stones sparkling under the flashes of the cameras surrounding it.

Soonyoung went over the plan in his head; Jihoon would take care of the lights and alarms; Junhui and Minghao will take care of the guards with their tranquilizers and guide Soonyoung in the dark; Seungcheol will take care of the getaway car. As for him, all he has to do is grab the bracelet, get out of the building and hopefully, not get caught.

“Soonyoung?”

Soonyoung turned and saw you walking towards him, dressed nicely — really nicely if he’s going to be honest — in black.

“It is you!” you beamed at him. You stood before him and admired his look, nodding in approval. “Fancy.”

“Y/n?”

“Almost thought you forgot my name. How are you? I haven’t seen you in so long.”

“Soonyoung!” Jihoon hissed in his ear. “Get rid of her!”

Soonyoung shifted uncomfortably on his feet; you’ve always had impeccable timing even before. Whether it’s showing up in his life or leaving unannounced, whenever you moved, he was always greatly affected. But now is not the time to be swayed.

“Hey y/n? Can you maybe get me a glass of champagne?”

If he had the power to control the earth, he would’ve willed for it to swallow him whole now, he thought. Even his teammates can’t stop themselves from laughing at him (though he was sure one of them groaned).

A small laugh escaped your lips though you tried not to, earning you a confused expression from Soonyoung. “If I didn’t know you, I would’ve walked out on you, you know?”

“And that’s what we want you to do,” Jihoon hissed again. “1 minute!”

“Y/n, I really need you to go. Just trust me. Please.”

The smile on your face dissolved into a frown. Sensing the alarm in his tone, you placed a hand on his arm, your eyes locked on him. “What is it?”

The sound of something closing went off as the lights engulfed the whole building in darkness.

Soonyoung didn’t need to be reminded; he could take care of everything else later. After waiting for Junhui and Minghao’s confirmation, he grabbed his night vision glasses and moved in for the bracelet, ignoring the sound of people panicking and of you shouting his name.

“Take the door to your left in 20 meters!” Jihoon instructed. “2 minutes!”

Soonyoung ran as fast as he could with the bracelet safe in his hands. He took the door to his left as instructed, breathing in deeply the moment he stepped out before he felt someone crash into him from behind.

“Soonyoung!” Your eyes were wide as you tackled him into a hug. “I was so scared! People were shouting and I,” you hugged him tightly, your body trembling from shock, “I just ran without knowing where to go!”

Soonyoung stood frozen on the spot. How can so many things happen all at the same time?

“Y/n,” he started.

“Soonyoung!” He turned and saw his team in the car. “Hurry up! We need to go!”

“Look,” Soonyoung turned and held you, helping you steady yourself. His eyes seemed to be lost in yours for a short moment, taking in your appearance that he hasn’t seen for so long. “Get out of here. Go somewhere safe. I have to leave but,” he bit his lip and allowed himself to trace the side of your face with his fingers, “I’ll come for you once it’s safe. Okay?” He took one good look at you, willing himself to go, before running towards the car.

You watched the car drive away fast just as the sound of police sirens and shouting filled the air. You steadied yourself and breathed deeply, letting your body relax as a smile formed on your lips.

“Oh, you’ll come for me alright,” you said, holding the bracelet tightly in your hand.