Royal Truths and Secrets // Minghao

Seventeen Short and Simple Stories

gif credit


One can only imagine how hard it is to be born of royal blood. But to live a life disguised as a commoner because your father – the King – has attracted some really terrible enemies? Life just got a little bit harder.

“Thank you. We shall stop by again tomorrow,” Minghao greeted the merchant goodbye, giving her a disgustingly sweet smile as you both left the busy street, tossing you the box of vegetables he purchased once out of sight.

For as long as you can remember, Minghao has always been next to you. He may not be of royal blood but his family has been faithful in serving the royal line. This time around, they have been entrusted with your ‘new’ life and had him guarding you at all times.

He has been trustworthy and protective as far as his duty towards you is concerned. But past his angelic smile is an image that he only shows to a select few, or to be specific, to you.

You watched him stop and look back to you with a smile that you knew all too well since childhood, one that meant having a peaceful day with him is now over. “Your highness!“ he said with a grand bow and an exaggerated accent. “The sun is already setting. Can you not walk any faster? Or shall I fetch you your royal carriage?”

You scoffed. “What a poor attempt at provoking me. Tell me. Have you finally thought of a way to make my life miserable? It has been a little too peaceful recently. Even this,” you adjusted the box in your arms, “is something I can do.”

He shook his head as he walked towards you with a fake pout on his face. “You think too low of me. I’ve never treated you wrongly before, have I?”

“I wonder.”

He gave you a once over, his eyes lingering at yours for a moment before he turned to walk. “Well, let us not wait for the grass to grow, your majesty.”

You clenched your teeth and found yourself looking around for any eavesdroppers. “Xu Minghao. Not only once but twice you have invited danger to fall unto me. Do you think of yourself able to fend for me if danger comes?”

He stopped and for a moment, you thought he would get angry at your words. But when he turned, he wasn’t. Instead, he looked at you with gentle eyes, a look so different from his usual.

“There is no need to be alarmed, m'Lady,” he smiled as he walked back, only stopping a feet away from you. His eyes were busy studying your face with such interest that you felt your ears and cheeks growing hot when he spoke. “You have been safe all these years and I intend to keep it that way. You will be safe as long as I am with you.”

You straightened up but found yourself averting your eyes from his. “Don’t you care for me too much all of a sudden?”

“Care is such a weak word,” he said thinking. "How about fond?”

“What are you talking about?”

He glanced back and there it was again, the smile that you hated, the smile that seemed to hold a million mysteries behind it, painted on his face. “That, your highness, is a royal secret.”