Better Than Bubblewrap // Soonyoung

Seventeen Short and Simple Stories

gif credit


Not to be dramatic but you never really appreciate something you have until you don't. For some, it's the relationships they have regardless if it's platonic or romantic. For others, it's the passing moment or opportunity that they took for granted. You? It's much simpler, really, but who's to say it's not equally as painful?

It was Friday night. You laid on the couch with your eyes glued to the TV, taking your sweet little time waiting, maybe stretching a little when,

“AH!”,

a yelp escapes your mouth. You kept your head still, not daring to move even a centimeter from your position even if it meant your arms were over your head and you had your stomach exposed. Crippling pain throbbed on your neck; you stretched wrong again.

The door to your apartment opened with your movie ‘date’ holding a bag of food and drinks. “Y/n, I got the chicken but they didn't have the garlic one so I got the...what—did you stretch wrong again?”

You looked at Soonyoung with tears b in your eyes and whimpered. That was it. That was the most you dared to move in response from fear of making it worse. Would it be funny to say “Good thing this happens a lot so he understands anyway”?

Soonyoung sighed as he closed the door and walked over, containing a split second of an amused smile. “I swear, I leave you alone for a few minutes and this happens. Really. If Mingyu needs an accident-prone sign hung on his neck, you need to be bubble-wrapped. You two together; that'd be a sight to see.”

The frown on your face deepened but Soonyoung did not notice it. If only he and his friends could just stop teasing you with Mingyu, that would be great especially since it was the wild hamster that you liked and not the giant puppy that destroyed nearly everything in sight. Well, at least he can fix them. In your case, you have to go through your self-inflicted pain and deal with it yourself.

Soonyoung was a friend you made in high school after sharing most of your classes together for years. You thought it would end there until you found out that you were going to the same university. You've become close friends since then, close enough to barge into each other's lives at random, not that any of you mind. Besides, his existence in your life has been of great help.

What would've happened to you if Soonyoung wasn't there the day you tripped on nothing at the cafeteria with your tray of food in hand? What about the day (or days if we're to be honest) you thought you had enough distance only to almost crash your shoulder against a corner? If it weren't for him keeping a close eye on you when he's around, who knows what more damage you could've inflicted on yourself?

It may be burdensome on his part but you were just thankful.

Saturday noon. It was the day after a.k.a Soonyoung's dance class at a studio in town. Coincidentally, it was also the day you sprained your ankle from, guess what? Trying to sit prettily on a high stool at a coffee shop this morning.

You sighed and pushed the door open with Soonyoung stretching in the middle of the room.

“Hey,” he called, giving you a quick glance before looking at you again with a frown. He definitely noticed you limping towards him. “What happened this time?”

“It's just a simple sprain. I got grilled cheese,” you said, trying to shift his attention to food.

“Are you saying you drove here with a sprained ankle?”

You deflated. Food didn't work. “It's not that bad,” you said. “It just stings from time to—" Your sprained ankle gets caught on your good foot and you knew you were doomed.

Your arms flung to the air as the floor pulled you down before Soonyoung caught you in his arms. You breathed, your heart hammering against your chest. “That was close!”

Soonyoung helped you right yourself but with the frown on his face and his hands on his hips, you knew you were in for some 'Sooyoung nagging'.

“What?” you asked, feigning ignorance.

Soonyoung sighed. His frown was gone but he had that underlying tone of worry all around him. “What am I going to do with you?”

Your heart dropped. Was he tired? Of it? Of you? You had to look away. “I know, I know. I'll get myself bubble-wrapped with Mingyu.”

“Actually, there's something better, both than bubblewrap and Mingyu. No offense to him.”

You looked up and your heart skipped a beat. How can someone make you feel different emotions in a span of a minute?

Soonyoung, with a small, hopeful smile on his face, stood with his arms opened wide towards you as if he was inviting you to fill the space that was between them. “I was thinking,” he started, his smile growing slowly, “it's not that bad, looking after you for the rest of my life.”

Remember the thing about not appreciating something until it's gone? Well, you didn't want that and so you didn't let the moment to pass.

With a stinging ankle and your cheeks gone hot, you claimed the safe space that has always been there for you in a tight and homey embrace.

Who knew being a klutz that needed constant care had its charm?