Silence // Junhui

Seventeen Short and Simple Stories

gif credit


Wen Junhui never liked going outside; it was too noisy and at times overwhelming. Though it's much more bearable now than a few years ago, being a student meant long hours of forced mingling with people and the noise he dreaded was just inevitable. 

You would think people like him who hated noise would prefer libraries over open spaces but it was the complete opposite. In libraries, people kept their voices low but their brains would be constantly ticking like a clock. Out in the open, people didn't need to think much to create noise; all they needed to do was open their mouths.

He adjusted the volume on his music player as soon as he was free from the deafening confines of his classroom while his classmates raced for lunch. 

The school cafeteria was always wild; there were groups of friends laughing together, the lunch queue fighting over who got there first...it was the usual noise he heard daily when an ear-piercing scream rang loud and clear in his mind. 

He jumped in his seat and looked around frantically for the source, expecting everyone to be as alarmed as he. He scanned the room; there was laughing and arguing but no one looked concerned nor did anyone looked bothered.

There it was again!

He turned again when he locked eyes with one student seated a few tables away from him.

Your eyes were wide with your hand partially covering your mouth. 

Junhui started to stand.

Stop! you shouted although your mouth didn't move.

Junhui froze for a while before coming back to his senses. Act normal. Don't make eye contact, he told himself as he got up and made his way out to the hall.

Wait! you shouted again.

His footsteps quickened and his palms turned sweaty. Act normal, he repeated.

"Stop!" Your voice was now clear and he was sure he heard you with his own ears.

He heard you running and felt his wrist being grabbed tightly.

"What just happened?" you demanded, your eyes wide with both excitement and confusion.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't lie. You heard me. You heard my voice!"

"Of course I heard your voice. Everyone did." His eyes darted around. He needed to get out but he needed you to keep quiet first.

You blinked and seemed to understood what he meant. You looked around; people were watching and some were even whispering. You smiled sheepishly at them and urged them to move on until no one else was left. "I saw you jump in your seat when I shouted," you hissed. "And when I said stop, you stopped! You heard me. You heard my voice!"

"No. That was just coincidence."

"It's not! I'm sure of it." But the fire in your eyes died down.

Junhui shifted on his feet. "You were probably just imagining things. What you're saying is simply impossible."

You knitted your eyebrows, your eyes slowly meeting his. "You didn't hear me..."

"I didn't."

"...because I made you do that!"

Now, it was Junhui's turn to look confused. What did you just say?

"I made you stop by thinking stop! And you jumping...you probably got short-circuited or something when I connected with you."

Junhui scrunched up his face and scoffed. "Now you're just talking crazy. You can't do that. You're just a regular hu—"

The corner of your mouth quirked up as his eyes scanned the now empty hall. Your gaze landed on his ID. "I'm just a regular what, Wen Junhui? What can't I do that, if I'm right, is something you can do?"

All these years, Junhui thought of himself as someone who's generally quite. Clearly, this time isn't one of those times.  He his lips and rubbed his neck and whispered, "Do you wanna maybe talk about this somewhere else?"

The smile on your lips grew wider, amused seeing him in his panicked state. "Sure. Tell me all about it."