An Old Photograph // Seokmin

Seventeen Short and Simple Stories

gif credit


You traced the edges of the small photo you had in your hands. In it were two young kids—a girl and a boy—grinning widely at the camera as they showed off their hands that held the other.

Your friend looked up from her phone and asked, “What’s that?”

“An old photo with a friend. Mom found it while cleaning this morning. This kid here,” you pointed at the young boy, “was my boyfriend.”

"At kindergarten?”

You nodded. “I’ve forgotten most of my childhood but I do remember him.”

And you did clearly; the way he just influences everyone with his bright smile and personality…everything about him was just too memorable and precious for you to forget.

The bus slowed down to a stop. “This is me,” your friend said grabbing her bag. She stood up and was about to leave when she turned back to you and smiled. “I hope you see him again. You looked really happy with him.”

Your attention went back to the photo just as the bus drove off once more. admiring the carefree smiles on both of your faces. You did hope to see him again. But that was just impossible.

“Oh. I know that photo,” a voice beside you announced.

You jumped from your seat and turned around. Seated beside you was a young guy with unkempt hair and worn clothes, leaning closely as he examined the photo in your hand. Where did he come from?

He smiled excitedly and pointed at the young boy on the photo. “That’s me!”

“Excuse me?”

“That boy in the picture. That’s me.”

You froze, your breathing getting heavy as a chill ran down your spine. You looked around but everyone in the bus was busy. Are you being pranked? “It can’t be you.”

“Why?”

“Because Seokmin…” you looked once more at the photo before meeting his eyes again. “Seokmin’s dead.”

His body relaxed and his smile faded.  "Hello y/n. I missed you.“