Lee Seul Tae

Unexpected Love

A/N: Italic letter are thoughts

Upon arriving to work of course going through the usual procedure of having a quick huddle with second shift, along with our head nurse Mrs. Kim, about the changes of care for each patient. After taking quick notes and grabbing my patient list for the day, Mrs. Kim approached me in private because of the new patient that was added to my list.

Mrs. Kim: “Seul Tae?”
Me: “Neh Mrs. Kim”
Mrs. Kim: “I assigned you a new patient the name is Adrian Yoo 10 years old. He was admitted midnight due to appendicitis according to the E.R. doctor that checked him. His primary doctor along with the E.R. doctor will come check on him of his status, so as my top pediatric nurse I know you will keep the patient satisfied.”
Me: *smiles at her* “Thank you Mrs. Kim for the recommendation”
Mrs. Kim: “You’re a hard worker Seul Tae I believe in you.”

After Mrs. Kim gave me the information and some encouraging words I start my rounds on each patient listed. After doing my usual rounds on each patient with a bit of fun in between with each of them I check again my list for the new patient for the room number. As I head to the patient room I can’t help but wonder why the last name seems so familiar.

Arriving at the room I get the surprise of my life. That’s Youngwon oppa Youngjae’s older brother and his wife Cindy unnie.

YW: “Seul Tae? Your Adrian’s nurse?”
Me: *Smiles* Guilty. *Laughs a little*
YW: "His pediatrician said that he’s in the care of one of the best nurses in Pediatrics, I didn’t know it was you."
Me: That’s me. *Smiles* So yes oppa, unnie I’ll be Adrian’s nurse until his surgery. *Smiles*
Cindy: "I’m so glad you’re his nurse Seul Tae and doing better since"…….. *Looks at YW*

As I go and take care of Adrian, who is asleep, Youngwon continues.

YW: "Seul Tae, I’m sorry about Youngjae leaving you like that, I’m just glad you’re doing better since he left."
Me: *Smiles a little* "I’m so glad you and unnie still care oppa," *sighs* "I wish I can say the same for Youngjae."

Doing my usual care on Adrian, Youngwon oppa and Cindy unnie talk about how they met and fell in love of course they also had their hard times, but stuck it out in the end and oppa decided to marry her. Of course we also were catching up on my life as well. I’m just glad that oppa and unnie still care about me as if I was part of the family. I see Youngwon stand up to greet someone at the door and  as I turn around to see who the person is I can’t believe it he looks so different from when we were together.
YW: "Youngjae-ah. *Looks at Seul Tae* "I’m so glad you came."
It was Youngjae of course his nephew is Adrian so he has every right to visit. He changed so much. I do my best to keep myself together, but deep down my heart was literally breaking. I can’t show that to him I have to be strong.
YJ: *Looks at Seul Tae* "Seul Tae?"
YW: She’s Adrian’s nurse until his surgery is over."
YJ: “How is he hyung?"
YW: He has appendicitis, so his pediatrician said he’ll have surgery to remove his appendix."
As oppa was explaining everything to Youngjae I can feel him staring at me with so much question going through his head, along with confusion and sadness in his eyes. I continue to care for Adrian as if Youngjae never entered the room…………more like came back in my life.
 
I double check on Adrian to make sure the new patient procedures are done correctly. After doing so I go over with Youngwon oppa and Cindy unnie about the new patient procedure in our hospital while I give them the information and packet. I can see Youngjae stand next to his nephew’s bedside, keep yourself together Seul Tae you’re doing great.

YW: “Thank you Seul Tae, me and Cindy will visit Adrian after work every other day.”
Cindy: “We know he’s in good hands.” *Smiles*
Me: “You're welcome.” *Smiles* "I’ll take care for him like he was my little brother. I’ll check on him before I leave today.”
Cindy: “Do you have a number where we can call you?”
Me: “I can give you my cell phone too, our department extension is in the packet and just look for me” *Smiles*

I exchange numbers with oppa and unnie so they can contact me privately about Adrian.

Me: “There you go just contact when you can.” *Smile*
YW: “Thank you again Seul Tae, things will get better.”
Me: “I know they will thank you oppa.” *Smiles*
Cindy: “Nice seeing you again Seul Tae and thanks for everything.”
Me: “You're welcome.” *Checks time* “Just in time for my break.” *Looks at YJ* “I’ll see you guys later.”

As I say my goodbye and head out for my break with my coworkers, I can see Youngjae doing his best to not look at me. Deep down I know he wants to look at me, but can’t bring himself too. So I head out to my break and text Sang Eun to call me about my interesting encounter at work today.