How to Save a Life

Where good things will take you

4 Years Later

In the last four years things have certainly changed. I was no longer a student at DongShin University. I had recently chopped my waist length brown hair to mid-length to make it more manageable and dyed it a lighter brown. I had made a lot of friendships with the idols and there were many changes that happened. 

I was now in a committed two year relationship with Kim Jaejoong. He had only just completed the mandatory military service before he had surprised me with an invitation to dinner. We had been responding via snail mail since he couldn't really use his cellphone too much. 

I was still in contact with Highlight (B2ST) who had left their original management company and changed their name. 

''Min Hae...''

I ignored the call of my name.

''Lee Min Hae....are you ignoring me.''

''Yah!''

I spun around to see Jaejoong in the doorway to our house, standing with his arms crossed around his chest, a white henley and soft grey pants that hung lowly on his waist. I whistled in appreciated. He started blushing.

''Oppa...I'm almost done.''

He rolled his eyes playfully before closing the door silently. 

Jaejoong was the last person I thought I would end up with. 


Two Years Ago

Key had recruited Jaejoong and I for a special surprise party in honor of Jonghyun.

Jaejoong held the groceries while I entered the passcode that Key had given me.

I started immediately coughing once I opened the door. Jaejoong dropped his bag.

''JAEJOONG OPEN THE WINDOWS.''

He immediately started opening the nearest windows. I spotted the burning coals in the kitchen and hastily threw them in the sink.

''JONGHYUN..!!...''

''JONGYHYUN-AH.''

I yelled at the top of my voice, hurriedly walking into the loft. I pulled out my cellphone and called for a paramedics.

''Send someone quickly.''

''MINHAE HE'S IN HERE.''

I rushed to the master bedroom to see Jaejoong performing CPR on Jonghyun.

''Is he breathing?''

I kneeled down at performed chest compressions as Jaejoong tried to arose the younger man.

''Come on...wake up please.'' He whispered trying to shake him awake.

A cough before a startled gurgle, ''Hyung.''

''Pabo...what were you attempting to do.'' He scolded gently holding Jonghyun's head in his lap.

''I was so tired,'' I had to strain my ears to hear him.

''I wanted it to stop.''

''Hyunnie...you have people that care about you.....Key he sent us here to plan a party for you in celebration of your upcoming album. We're proud of you.''

I gently flicked him on the forehead, ''You're not allowed to take your life Jonghyun...I know you're suffering and we'll help you...just don't give up.''

He started to cry silently. 

I could feel myself crying with him.

We had saved him, but the work would have to come soon, he would need to see a therapist. He needed help.

Jaejoong agreed with me.

The paramedics checked Jonghyun and he was a few minutes away from carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Jaejoong recommended his own therapist knowing that SM Entertainment would prefer their talent to commit suicide, cause self-harm and collapse from physical and mental exhaustion before the realized they were the problem. 

Mental Illness was difficult to deal with, is difficult to deal with, Jonghyun didn't feel the need to share his burden, when Key had visited him in the hospital he couldn't stop crying, he had to be sedated. He couldn't believe how close he was to losing his best friend .I watched as Jonghyun started crying followed by Taemin , Minho and Onew, Key was out next to Jonghyun. They gathered around him forming a barrier of comfort. He started to tell them in a soft voice what he had been struggling with. They were his family. They nodded , talking about their own struggles they often hid behind confident smiles and fake laughter. 

I felt a warm hand in mine and smiled up at Jaejoong. 


 I suppose that I was thankful that Jaejoong and I found each other. 

Kikwang was still my best friend. 

And DBSK had reunited under one banner after negotiating out of their contracts.


A/N

I hope everyone enjoyed this story. This marks the last story I have here on aff to be completed.

Please upvote/subscribe/comment

~ Caribbeanpop17