Chapter 8

Follow the Heart

Suzy stares at her reflection from the mirror. Soft music and people chattering could be heard from the dinner party outside. She notices that her hands couldn’t stop shaking, she took some deep breaths. Calm down. It’s like riding a bicycle. A one wheeled, bicycle on a plank that’s on fire. Before her thoughts got the better of her, Joy knocks on the bedroom door and without waiting for a response, popped her head in. “I came to you downstairs.” Joy walked in and closed the door behind her. “Cause I’m pretty sure you are panicking up here.” Joy adds as she looks at the worried puppy dog eyes on Suzy.

“You could to if you had to ask out 2 guys at the same event. I mean, what if one of the guys walks in with me with another guy? Wouldn’t that be awkward?”

“That’s why Vernon and I are here. To help you through this.” Joy pats Suzy’s shoulders before walking towards the bed and sitting on the edge. “Well I am, I haven’t seen Vernon yet. Maybe he bailed.”

“He’s here. He came by earlier to meet daddy. Something about a charity event.” Suzy says and Joy nods her head. Then a knock from the bedroom door made Suzy came out of her daze again.

“Lady Suzy, your mother is looking for you.”

Suzy turns, faces Joy and exhales. “Let’s do this!” Joy smiles and got on her feet. “I’ll meet you downstairs?” Joy departs to the party as Suzy nods. This is it!

The dinner party was held outside beside the pool. As soon as Suzy walked out to the doorway that led out to the pool, everyone started to take notice of Suzy. No one would ever not take notice of Suzy. She basically lights up the room with her presence and beauty. She wore a lavender lace dress, pairing it with some lavender shoes. Suzy starts to walk around gave her greetings to the guests while trying to find her mother. Once she spotted her mother, she went up to her.

“Yes, mommy? You were looking for me?”

“Just wondering when you were coming down to join the festivities dear.”

“Sorry. Couldn’t decide on the shoes.” Suzy responded with a dry laugh.

“Well, I’ve seen you now. You can go mingle.”

“Alright!”

Suzy spots Joy talking to one the female guests that were Suzy’s mutual friends as well. She started heading towards them when a server turned a corner and was about to collide with her.  Suzy realized it was too late to avoid the server so she waited for the impact. For a few seconds, instead of feeling the sensation of spilled wine over her dress, she felt a strong and warm arm wrapping her back. She opens her eyes to see a man hugging her with one hand while the other hand was balancing the tray that was supposed to be dripping down Suzy’s dress. The server was bowing her head and conveying her apologizes to Suzy and the man. The whole situation was a total blur to Suzy as it happened so fast and the only focus she had was towards the guy. She couldn’t help looking up at him and admire his side features and trying to figure out why he looks so familiar. Suddenly the man looked down at her and she snapped back to reality to finally realize the situation. She took a step back.

“Oh yes! It’s ok. Everyone makes mistakes. Just go on with your duties.” Suzy expresses while she smiles sweetly at the server, not making any eye contact with the man that was hugging her 2 seconds ago. She could feel her face turning red from the embarrassment.  She was about to make a beeline to find her friends when she stops shortly. I should thank him. He did save me from having to go up and change my attire. Suzy turned around to thank the man but he was no longer there.

Suzy felt a bit guilty she could not express her gratitude and since she did not get a better look of him, she doubted she could find him in the crowd. She was about to turn her heels towards her friends when the murmurs from people around her made her perk up her ears.

“Wasn’t that Ji Chang Wook passing by?”

“Yeah, he was soaking wet. He helped prevented the Bae heiress from crashing with the server.” Both girls conversed not noticing Suzy and headed towards the pool.

Ji Chang Wook? The Ji Chang Wook that I was supposed to ask out on a date? No wonder I felt like he looked familiar. Wait, those girls said he was soaking wet. I thought he managed to catch the tray?

Suzy looked back towards the area where she almost had an embarrassing moment and noticed the previous server cleaning up broken glass and spilled wine. Slow rush of heat began to rise to Suzy’s ears of the thought of him being so nice as to prevented a major accident from occurring and it seemed as if she was not grateful towards her saviour. Suzy was about to search for the soaking wet gentleman when Joy blocked her path.

“Suzy, there you are. I just saw Ji Chang Wook.” Joy exclaimed and that got Suzy’s attention.

“Where?” She asked.

“He just left.” Joy replied, not knowing the reason for her best friend’s sudden eagerness.

Suzy’s eyes went wide-eyed. “What? Why?”

“It seemed like he had a wardrobe malfunction so he did not want to ruin the atmosphere by looking shaby.” Suzy felt dejected and saw the confused look on Joy’s face. After explaining what had happened, Joy suggested a way on how Suzy could repay her so called ‘saviour’.

The next morning, Suzy wasted no time in getting ready and headed off towards the largest fashion enterprise in South Korea, Noire. She headed towards the reception desk and was greeted with a neat and baby face receptionist that had an ‘intern’ badge above her chest.

“Good morning, miss! How may I help today?” The intern greeted Suzy with a bright smile. Suzy noticed her name tag, ‘Selene’.

“Good morning!” Suzy mirrored Selene’s bright smile. “I am here to see if I can get a meeting with your CEO, Ji Chang Wook-ssi?”

“May I know the details of your reason to meet with CEO-nim?”

“I wish to…” Suzy paused trying to phrase the word in the simplest way. “Return a favour.”

“It may be hard to let you go up to see him because people would usually set an appointment beforehand.”

“I understand but could you help me out? It’s a really huge favour I have to pay back” Suzy pleaded with the biggest puppy dog eyes she could muster.

“I will try miss. May I have your name please?” The intern started typing onto her keyboard.

“Bae Suzy.” The keyboard typing from both the intern and the receptionist beside her, stopped in unison and stared at Suzy. The intern broke the silence. “Bae Suzy? As in Baekeries Street heiress, Bae Suzy?”

“Oh, you know who I am?” Suzy could not help but be a bit surprise even though this type of thing happens a lot to her.

“Of course, miss. Noire staffs absolutely rave about the pastries from your bakery.” Suzy noticed people passing by were starting to stare and at the corner of her eye she just noticed that one of her family bakeries was conveniently opened across the street from the Noire building and Suzy could not help but let out a little giggle. “I am so sorry I didn’t recognize you sooner.” The intern stood up and gave a 90 degree bow.

Suzy waved her hand. “It’s no problem at all. It doesn’t bother me but ummm, about my appointment with the CEO…?”

“Right, I’ll arrange that right away miss.” The intern started to type away into her computer.

“Thank you so much Selene.” Suzy smiled brightly to the kind intern and was soon accompanied up towards the CEO office. While waiting for the lift to bring her up to the CEO office, she gave herself a glance over using the reflection from the elevator doors. She was pleased on what she had decided to wear today as she wanted to make a good second impression to someone from a fashion industry since her first impression made it seem like she was an ungrateful brat. After an hour of going through her wardrobe, she final decided on a black turtle neck, a beige floral skirt and paired it off with some beige boots. Giving off the spring vibe. Once inside the elevator, Suzy could not help but be lost in thought on what she’ll say to the man that she was about to ask out a date when they have yet to even say any greetings before this day. The elevator gave out a soft ding sound and it broke her train her thought. Her legs were bringing her towards two big wooden doors. She stopped as the intern that was accompanying her upstairs, turned around and gave slight bow.

“CEO-nim is expecting you inside, miss.” Before Suzy could utter a word, the intern left. Her hand formed a fist and she lifted it up to knock on the door. She knocked twice and when she could not hear a response, she lifted her hand to knock again when a deep voice from inside stopped her.

“Come in!”

Suzy’s outfit to meet Ji Chang Wook.

Suzy