Chapter 7

Follow the Heart

Suzy started to dish everything about the event that happened earlier that night from the arrival at the ballet recital to the kiss that was initiated by her and how she boldly told him that she was anticipating his call. Joy could not help but burst out into laughter on the other side of the screen at her best friend’s daring antics on the first date. Suzy pouted as she did not find it amusing. Joy started to calm herself, wiping a tear from her eyes.

“So, how was it?” Joy asked, raising an eyebrow.

“How was what?” Suzy replied in a clueless manner.

“The ballet recital. Duh! The kiss! How was the kiss?” Joy rolled her eyes.

“It was…” Suzy stared ahead as her fingers graced her lips. “Soft, gentle and sweet from the iced tea he had.” Without her realizing, she started to smile and Joy could not help but notice and soften her gaze. Suzy continued, “But if I had to express it in one word, it was amazing.”

Suzy got out from her trance and focused her attention towards the screen and notice the weird look Joy was giving her. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“It’s nice to see you loosen up and going on dates. It’s been a while since I’ve seen you giddy over a guy.” Joy expressed as she smiles.

“Yeah, me too.” Suzy started to relax and she could feel her cheeks turning hot. “Thanks Joy. For making me go through with this.”

Joy brushed it off and got back to business. “Enough with the mushy stuff. In your message you had something urgent you had to tell me besides how the date went. What was it?”

Suzy went wide-eyed and clap her hands together after remembering why she urgently called Joy. “That’s right! Joy, dad is having one of his company dinners at the house this weekend.”

Joy was about to ask on what the big deal was since it was not the first company dinner at her home but then it hit her, she gasped. Suzy nodded as she knew what Joy was thinking.

“Are you ready? To ask out guy number 2 and even number 3?” She asked the now fidgety Suzy, remembering the other two candidates were well known VIPs to events such as this.

“How am I supposed to ask out two guys at one dinner party? That seems so.. sleazy.” Suzy said as she grimaced.

“It’s called multi-tasking.” Joy said but her voice did not sound certain as it should be. She cleared he throat before continuing. “Besides, how were you planning in asking them out in the first place? I don’t think you have the willpower to randomly text or call a guy you’ve never met before. I would also think the guys will assume you were a stalker so this is a great opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone. You get to naturally start a conversation with them and ask them out on a date.” Joy realized something. “Is Hyungsik going to be there?” her voice shaking.

“No, thank God. He is visiting his grandparents over the weekend in Hong Kong. So I don’t have to worry about getting caught.” Suzy groaned as she hid her face in between her hands. “Getting caught? What am I saying? Feels like I am a cheating girlfriend.”

“You need to calm down. You both aren’t in a relationship yet. You knew what you were getting yourself into. You need to snap out of it.” Joy firmly stood her stance in the challenge that awaits Suzy when she, herself is worried at what’s to come. “You don’t have much time left to worry about trivial matters such as this. You should be worrying about on what to wear this weekend so the guys would be the ones crawling to ask YOU out.” She smirks at her friend, hinting for the question that she was waiting to be asked by Suzy.

“You’re right! Hmmmm.. Mom said I could go shopping for a new dress. Wanna go shopping tomorrow?”

“Thought you’d never ask! See you tomorrow?”

“See you tomorrow.” Before they ended their video call, Suzy went on to express her gratitude. “Love ya!”

Joy’s gaze softens and replies back. “Love ya too”

 

As the next day came, Joy was walking towards the fountain that was in the middle of the shopping mall to meet up with Suzy. As she caught sight of her best friend in a pick hoodie and light blue jeans, Joy waved her hand towards her. Suzy noticed Joy waving and return the gesture. Joy kept on walking towards Suzy. As she got closer, she realized the tall dark figure sitting beside Suzy and could not help but roll her eyes, letting out a sigh. This is going to be long day.

“Hey Joy!” Suzy greeted, trying to sound chipper as possible, knowing her friend did not like that she not warn her about Vernon tagging along. "You look nice. i like your jacket. is it new?" Suzy tried to distract Joy but she the latter only grumbled in reply.

“Morning, grumpy.” Vernon smirked as he greeted the dissatisfied Joy. Nobody said anything. Suzy looked at her two best friends back and forth and linked arms with both of them. What are we waiting for? We should start shopping and not just stand around a fountain.” Suzy tried to joke as she laughs drily as she leads the two the shops.

Joy let it slide as she did not want to ruin her day. Both went shop by shop and bought more than expected. As the three of them were walking to the next shop, Suzy’s stomach started to grumble and it could be heard by the other two. Both Vernon and Joy looked at the now blushing bright red Suzy and laughed.

“Shall we have some bite to eat?” Vernon asked with a smirk on his face. Suzy nodded. Joy and Vernon could not help but look at each other and shake their heads at the naivety of the girl.

“Let’s go!” Joy said as she grabbed Suzy’s hand and the both of them led the latter to the best gelato shop in the mall.

 

As the three of them indulged themselves to the cold sweetness of the gelatos and chatting away, Vernon decided to talk about the question that he was urging to ask Suzy the whole day.

“How was your date?” Vernon asked nonchalantly as he took a bite out of his gelato. Joy and Suzy stopped eating and froze in shock. How did he find out? Joy clenched her teeth.

The gelato that was headed towards Suzy’s mouth was hanging in mid-air, Suzy’s hand shaking. “W-what do you mean?” Suzy stuttered.

“The date at the ballet recital on at Kumho Art Hall.”

Suzy gulped and it was evident that both girls were not expecting to have this conversation. Suzy laid her spoon in the cup in front of her and let out a sigh. “How did you find out about that?”

“Oh, one m friends told me that she might have seen you with a certain guy getting all chummy on the way in the hall. She took a picture and sent it to me. To my surprise, it was you. Unless the girl had a lot of likeness to you.” Vernon said smirking at her the dumbfounded look both the girls had on their faces. The smirk disappeared and gave Suzy a stern look. “Just didn’t think you wouldn’t have informed like you said you did. Was waiting for you too. Thought that’s why you asked me out today.”

Joy looked back and fro between the two. “I did want to tell you about the date today. That is the reason why I ask you out today. Just that, we were having fun, I didn’t want to spoil it with my boring dating life.”

Dating life? Vernon creased his eyebrows at that statement. “Alright, I will tell you everything that happened last night.” Vernon settled in as he listened to Suzy talk about her date. Joy sat at the side, observing the two and how Vernon was processing the story.

Once Suzy had spilled everything she could, she bowed her head down, shyly. “I’m sorry Vernon for not telling you earlier and make you think I broke our promise.”

“Huh?”

“The promise? About telling you about the dates. That’s why you are upset.”

He cleared his throat and straighten is posture. “Yeah. I thought you’d forgotten that it was my idea in the first place.”

“Sorry again but that’s the reason I asked you out to go out shopping today. It’s for the company party at my house this weekend. Obviously both of you are invited…”

“Obviously.” Both Joy and Vernon said in unison.

“Well, Joy already knows but candidate 2 and 3 will be at the party and I’m planning to ask out both of them at the party.” Suzy stopped, waiting to see Vernon’s response or whether he’d in but he was looking at Suzy calmly as he listens. She continued, “So it would be a great help if you and Joy could help me out this weekend. It’s hard enough to ask out one guy, now I have to ask two guys in one night, at the same party. It’s going to take a bit of help from my oh so caring and reliable childhood friend.” Suzy batted her eyes to Vernon, pleading for him to help her. Vernon kept silent as continued staring at Suzy. Joy just kept observing. How will you respond lover boy.

It was my idea in the first place. The least I could do is help her. Vernon rubs his neck and sighed. “Ok, fine. But you owe me, big time.”

Suzy got giddy. “Absolutely! I will treat you both to anything you want. Just name it.”

“Oh yes! Spa trip on you!” Joy shot her hands up in excitement. Suzy laughs and nods, agreeing to her wish.

“I will hold you on to that.” Vernon winks. Before Suzy could ask what he meant by that, he got up and started walking. “Come on, I still need to find a new watch for the dinner party.”

With that, the week went by in a flash and it was finally the weekend for the dinner party. Suzy stares out of her window that was facing the garden with all the dinner guests socializing. This is it!

Hope you like this chapter. I’m personally looking forward for you all to read the next chapter. I’m biased towards Ji Chang Wook but you never know. Hehe. Please comment on what you think about this. Here are the clothes that i imagined the three to be wearing during their day out.J

#Suzy #Guess jean # The most beautiful photoshoot of Suzy Bae ever

Joy // Red Velvet // She's killing that short hair game.

vernon // seventeen