Chapter 2

Follow the Heart

                Suzy stares at her baby pink ceiling and just replays what Vernon said earlier at Lenny’s.

-Flashback-

                “What?” Suzy asked shocked at what Vernon suggested.

                “Go on dates with the elites associated with Baekeries Street through a random picture shuffle. I’m pretty sure the PR team of Baekeries Street has a whole profile list of elites to invite to the companie's dinner parties or a new launching of an outlet. Am I right? Cause Holix has a profile book for that when we plan an event. It's to maintain good relations with the right type of crowd.”

                “Yeah…. we do...” She replies relunctantly.

                “So, go to the headquarters, get a copy of the profile of elites, shuffle the pictures from the book and choose a few from the pile. Then go on dates with the guys you picked out.” Vernon kept on explaining the plan to Suzy in a calm manner as not to freak her out.

                “Are you crazy? That is so… childish. I can’t just pick guys like I pick cakes. It doesn’t work like that.” Suzy could not comprehend on what Vernon was suggesting but deep down, she was actually intrigued with the idea.

                “Suzy, you have ATLEAST about a year to fulfil the task that your dad gave you. I know you love your company as much as your dad, or even more. So I’m giving you a suggestion in order to inherit the company. Date at least four guys.” Vernon tried to persuade Suzy knowing that she was giving in since she kept on popping fries into . Cute. He thought to himself and smiles. She never changes.

                “Vernon, what would my dad think if planned all this just to inherit the company? It feels immoral and….. there’s no sincerity behind it.” She tried to think of ways to convince herself that it was a bad idea, sadly it was not helping since Vernon knew which buttons to push.

                “I don’t see why your dad would object when he trusts you to make the right decision. Always. You are graduating in 4 months, I don’t see the harm of a 24 year old university student dating. You don’t have to make it anything serious. Just… see how it goes, if you like the guy, who knows what will happen?”

                “And if the guy finds out? That I’m dating him to get my inheritance?”

                “Suzy, if the guy is an heir to another company as well, I think he would understand how it feels like to wanting to continue on the family legacy and besides, just make sure to be honest. You’re good at that.” Vernon gave Suzy a reassuring smile.

-Flashback ends-

                Suzy shakes her head and sat up, a bit too fast that the room started spinning. Nice one genius. She grabbed her phone from the nightstand beside her table and messaged the head of the PR team to ask for a copy of the profile to be sent to the house. There’s no harm in just… looking through the profile book. Right? Suzy convincing herself.

                An hour later a copy of the profiles arrived at Bae’s mansion and Suzy went through each page, detail by detail and scanning the pictures intently. She had recognized a few faces. She has spoken a few words to them before but they were just to be social and present a good image as the Bae’s only daughter. Soon all the pictures of the eligible bachelors from the profile book, were sprawled on her bedroom floor. She paced her room and just kept on staring at the dozens of good looking men, looking at her with their flawless smile. She could not help but reach for the phone and started calling Joy, her other best friend besides Vernon.

                After a few rings, Joy picked up and without giving Joy to even say hello, Suzy interrupted her. “I need you, now!” In an instant, Joy rushed to Suzy’s side and listened to the idea Vernon gave to her. Once Suzy had finished explaining everything to Joy, Suzy just stared at her pleadingly to help convince her that it was a bad idea. However, what Joy said next was not what Suzy had expected.

                “That is such a good idea. Crazy, but good. Wow! Didn’t expect that from Vernon.” Joy praised Vernon and just looks through the pictures on the floor. “So, have you chosen yet?”

                “What? No! I told you to come here so that you would convince me that it was a bad idea and I should not be listening to crazy ideas like this from Vernon.”

                Joy raised an eyebrow at Suzy. “Babe, I know you. You called me here so I would convince you that it was a bad idea and you should not be listening to crazy ideas like this from Vernon.”

                Suzy stared blankly at Joy. “That’s what I just said.” Joy continued, ignoring Suzy. “But, you have to admit, the idea is so tempting. Imagine, going on dates with 4 random guys and knowing your father, he wouldn’t be associating with people that would bring harm so I don’t think you have to worry about the guys in this pile.” There was silence and Joy turned to see Suzy just hugging her stuffed bear on the bed. Joy got up and sat next to her befriend. “Ok, what’s really holding you back from dating these handsome, elite guys and finally getting out there, going on dates like a normal lady in her twenties?” Joy looked at Suzy, rubbing her hand, reassuring her that Joy was there for her.

                Suzy gave out a sigh and finally confessed. “I do not have much experience about dating. You know that. I have only been on, at max 10 dates and before that I was in one serious relationship that ended right after high school.” She hesitates for a while. “What if I embarrass myself on the dates? Its dates with the elites. I don’t know what expectation they would have on me. What if I make a fool of myself and ruin the Bae’s image?”

                Joy just smiles and her friend’s innocence. “Suzy, you are going on these dates to find the man you are going to marry. If he thinks you are a fool and leaves you because of that, he is not the one you should marry. Everyone starts from square one. No one is an expert on dating from the start. If you end up not liking any of the guys, just give it a clean break. No harm, no foul. If you do suddenly fall for the guy, wouldn’t that be what you have always wanted? To finally find the guy that gave you butterflies like Soo Hyun did.” Suzy thought about it for another minute and got off the bed, heading to her potted plant that had plastic jewel stones in the pot. Suzy took 4 out and fiddled it in her hand. “I’m going to do it! I mean, why not right?” Suzy says and laughed awkwardly, unsure of what she was going to do next. Joy smiles. “I’ll support you through this dates until one of those guys gave you a ring on your finger. Hopefully from our collection.” Joy says, making Suzy laugh at her statement.

                Suzy took a deep breath and tossed the 4 of the plastic stones in the air, closed her eyes and let fate decide the guys she was going to date.

                “OMG! You lucky fox!” Joy said excitingly and hugs Suzy, jumping up and down. Suzy has yet to see where the stones ended up on but she knew, this was the start of something she cannot turn back from.

Chapter 2 done! i was reffering to Kim Soo Hyun from Dream High. Love that drama so much! I finished class early today so thought of doing chapter 2. Will update on chapter 3 soon! Please leave comments. Bad or good, I will take them as feedback to improve. Thank You for reading!