Long Time No See

Betting on Boredom

The airport was crowded, but the airport was always crowded. Couples walked arm in arm, parents chased after their children, family saying a final goodbye or new friends saying their first hello. Na Ri always liked airports, or she at least liked the idea of them. They seemed very poetic; like there was always a momentous occasion taking place within their walls. Na Ri and Ten had come to the airport to pick up Wendy; Seulgi had her radio show and wasn't able to make the trip and Johnny had a class. Ten also had a class he was supposed to be attending, but elected to come along anyway and skip his class because in his words, "Wendy was far more important than some dude named Ptolemy." Na Ri was pretty sure his professor would disagree, but she honestly didn't care.

"We should have made signs..." Ten grumbled as they stood side by side at the exit gate. "Wendy would have made signs for us." 

"If you wanted to make a sign you could have." Na Ri responded searching the crowd that was leaving the gate. Wendy's plane had landed thirty minutes earlier so she should be there soon. 

"But it's no fun if I do it on my own." He whined and pouted. "Oh! I think I see her!" His mood changing almost instantaneously. 

And see her he did. Wendy stood out like a sore thumb in the crowd as she walked through the exit. Her hair was platinum blonde, a nice change from the orange it had been the last time she was here, and she wore a hot pink leather jacket off the shoulders showing off her black crop top that had the words "Hazard to Society" written on it. She spotted them almost immediately and a large smile appeared as she hurried over to Na Ri and Ten. "Oh my god guys I have missed you so so so much!" She said letting go of her carry on to give Na Ri and then Ten a big hug. Na Ri thought she was going to gag at the amount of perfume that hit her in the face when she did. "You have no idea how much of a bore it is back in Canada. Why my parents moved there I have no idea. I don't know if I can ever forgive them for it!" She said dramatically while Ten picked up her carry on. 

"We're glad to have you back!" Na Ri smiled trying not to feel self conscious in her retro sweater, which suddenly looked more like it was outdated than retro. 

"Did you wear that on the plane?" Ten asked eyeing the extremely high heels Wendy was sporting as well as the extremely short skirt as they made their way over to baggage pick up. 

Wendy rolled her eyes, "Of course not darling! I changed when we landed. I couldn't possible meet my favorite cousin and my partner in crime in some nasty traveling clothes could I?" Suddenly she turned to Na Ri narrowing her eyes. "Speaking of my favorite cousin...why did I have to find out from Seulgi that you're spending a lot of time with Enemy No. 1"

"I am not! I have to write two articles about him for the paper! If it wasn't for the articles I would be steering far away from him!" Na Ri defended.

"Oh really?" Wendy said raising an eyebrow at her. "Then what is this bet I've heard about? Speaking of which-" She turned to Ten, "-I'm putting my money on Na Ri losing." 

"Wendy!!" Na Ri exclaimed her jaw dropping. "What kind of betrayal!"

"Oh come on sweetie, have you seen Taeyong? That boy is all kinds of y." Wendy responded fanning herself while Na Ri made a disgusted face. "Plus Ten sent me that NCT 127 photo, oof I could feel the through the phone girl!"

Na Ri shot Ten a glare to which he just grinned back at her. "Obviously you are delusional and I am going to kill NCT 127 when I find out who he is."

Wendy smirked, "Honey I am a lot of things, but delusional is not one of them." 

They stood at the baggage claim waiting for the bags to come, passing the time making small talk. Wendy complained about the long flight and how she had been stuck next to some old man who kept trying to hit on her. Wendy, never one known for her tact, had promptly told him to ' off'. Ten, much to the reluctance of Na Ri, had filled Wendy in on the rest of the Taeyong drama that Seulgi had not shared. The conveyor belt started to move and the bags began to show up slowly. Wendy's bright prink bag was easy to spot amongst all the black and Ten quickly grabbed it for her when she pointed it out. The three of them took a taxi back to campus, leaving the airport quickly behind them.

"I'm going to have to reach out to Chan sometime today and see what I missed with the boys." Wendy said scrolling through her phone as they road through the city. "I wonder if Yeri is still upset about Minho" She said with a malicious smile. 

"I mean if I found my boyfriend making out with another girl I would still be pretty upset about it." Na Ri commented. 

"She had it coming" Wendy defended, "She called me a and ruined my favorite pair of pants by spilling wine all over them the day before." 

Na Ri looked over at Wendy, "She did? You never told me that part of the story." 

"I didn't? I must have told Ten then." Wendy shrugged not looking up from her phone. 

"Yeah you came over to my dorm that night and slept in Johnny's bed since he was gone." Ten added. 

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I think I was pretty drunk at that point." Wendy said thinking for a moment. "Speaking of Johnny am I actually going to meet him this time or did he magically disappear again. I keep hearing about him, but never meeting him. I'm starting to think he's avoiding me." 

Ten rolled his eyes, "No he's not avoiding you. But trust me you're going to find him boring." 

Na Ri raised her eyebrows at her friend, "Wow a little harsh there you think?" 

"What it's true! I'm not saying he's boring, I'm saying that Wendy will find him boring. Is he not the most responsible member of our friend group?" Ten defended. "Honestly I don't think they're going to get along." 

Na Ri thought about it for a second, "Yeah....that's true...." 

"Oh a challenge!" Wendy said looking excitedly at Ten. "I've always liked a challenge."

"Oh no" Ten meeting her gaze. "Whatever it is you're thinking I can already tell it's a bad idea."

"But you're my partner in crime" Wendy pouted crossing her arms, "You're supposed to encourage my bad ideas."

"When those bad ideas include my roommate and friend I'm not so sure." Ten replied. 

"I'm staying out of it." Na Ri mumbled looking at her phone. 

When they reached campus Wendy declared that she needed to take a nap and quickly collapsed on Na Ri's bed. Ten then left to go to class, stating that he couldn't miss all of his classes, just the ones that weren't important. Which left Na Ri alone in the dorm room with a sleeping Wendy wondering what on earth she had gotten herself into as she looked through her wardrobe deciding what she should wear that night. "It wasn't a date. This is not a date. It isn't a date..." She mumbled to herself as she stared at her clothes "...but what am I going to wear?" She quickly texted Taeyong asking for details on where they would be eating. 

TYTrack: Glad to see you're excited, sadly I'm not taking you somewhere fancy tonight, just to that sushi place right off campus. See you at 6 ;)

Na Ri looked at her phone in disgust. She was NOT excited about this. Deciding it wasn't worth the effort to respond she put her phone back in her back pocket before going back to looking at her closet. She had been to the sushi place once ot twice before so she had an idea of what kind of outfit would be appropriate. She started taking shirts out of the closet and holding them up in front of the mirror, before tossing them away on the floor. So much for having a clean dorm room.

Seulgi came in a few minutes later to find Wendy snoring on Na Ri's bed and Na Ri angrily staring at her closet surrounded by a pile of clothes. "Really Na Ri?? We Just cleaned" She whispered as to not wake up Wendy. Any peace and quiet you could get when Wendy was around was precious.

Na Ri looked over at her friend and then down at the mess she had made, "Oh...sorry..."

"What are you doing?" Seulgi asked dropping her backpack on the ground next to the door before going to sit on her bed. 

"Well...." Na Ri hesitated knowing eventually she would have to tell them she was going out. "I'm trying to decide what to wear for tonight. Taeyong is treating me to dinner."

"What!" Seulgi exclaimed, before quickly looking over at Wendy to see if she had woken her. "You're going on a date with Taeyong??" She continued again in a whisper. 

"It's not a date!" Na Ri whispered yelled back. "He wanted to thank me for the article...plus he said it's not fair for the bet if I don't give him a chance." 

"Oh my god it's totally a date!" Seulgi whispered yelled back to which Na Ri groaned. "What are you going to wear?" 

"It's NOT a date! And do I look like I know? Why do you think half of my closet is on the floor?" Na Ri whisper yelled back.

Seulgi jumped up from her bed excitedly. "Let me help! I am going to make you look so hot!" She said quietly clapping her hands together. 

"We're just going to that sushi place off campus. It's not exactly a I-need-to-look-hot location, plus I'm not sure I can pull off hot. I can be quirky and cute, but hot??" Na Ri replied shaking her head as Seulgi began to go through the closets. "Besides why would I want to look hot for Taeyong? The bet is whether or not I fall in love with him, not the other way around." 

Seulgi gave her a withering look. "One, never pass up the opportunity to look hot, which you CAN pull off by the way. Two, Make. Him. Eat. His. Heart. Out. You want to win the bet? Make him suffer for it. You'll be able to say you got the hottest boy on campus drooling after you and you turned him down." Seulgi pulled out a black and white plaid skirt and handed it to Na Ri "Here, wear this, with that black cropped sweater and those boots. Plus I'll do your make up." 

"Isn't this your favorite skirt?" Na Ri asked looking at the skirt in her hands. 

Seulgi nodded as she handed the aforementioned sweater and boots to her, "Yes it is, so if you get anything on it I will kill you." 

"Noted." Na Ri replied. 

"My dear cousin...when were you going to mention to me that you had a date with Enemy No. 1?" A voice spoke up from Na Ri's bed. Like a deer caught in the headlights Na Ri turned to face Wendy who had raised her eyebrow at her and giving her a smile that spelled trouble.

"Uhhhh...it's not a date?" Na Ri replied but it came out more like a question. 

Wendy scoffed as she picked herself up off the bed and ran her hand through her hair. "Yeah sure it's not" She rolled her eyes. "Whatever, Let me help do your hair for this 'not date', cause Seulgi's right. You're going to have hi eating out of the palm of your hand" Na Ri wasn't so sure she agreed, but decided arguing with her would be a lost cause.

By the time the girls finished with her hair and make up it was almost six. Na Ri felt like a different person, a much hotter and cooler person. She had to admit that Seulgi and Wendy had done a great job in her transformation. Her phone buzzed and she saw that Taeyong had texted to say he was downstairs. "Alright girls...He's here." Na Ri stated her heart rate increasing suddenly feeling nervous. 

"Don't worry you got this. You look hot. He's going to be wishing he could get some of this action tonight." Wendy said winking at her. 

"What are you going to be doing tonight?" Na Ri asked. "I feel bad that I'm abandoning you on your first night here." 

Wendy smiled, again another smile that spelled trouble, "Oh I texted Woojin and Chan, I'll be visiting their frat house tonight. Woojin owes me a little something from the last time I was here." 

Na Ri gave Seulgi a worried look. "Good luck." She said.

"You too," Seulgi replied giving her a squeeze on the shoulder before Na Ri left their dorm room heading downstairs to the waiting Taeyong.

 

 

 

CB97: Wendy spotted on campus

TeddyBearWJ: Yeah she texted me already saying she was coming over tonight

TeddyBearWJ: Mentioned that Na Ri was going on a date with Taeyong so she was free

CB97: WHAT 

CB97: NA RI AND TAEYONG???

CB97: I gotta text Jaehyun this is monumental

TeddyBearWJ: Did you miss the part where i said Wendy was coming over?

CB97: Oh right...hold on I'll be back soon


A short author's note cause I'm running late to class, but I hope you like the chapter. Wendy is already so fun to write for! Can't wait for you to see what happens next!

 

Much Love,

Ashton