Playing with Fire

Betting on Boredom

It took Na Ri only three seconds for her to regret coming along with Wendy to the SKZ party. They had walked into the frat house. Chan had greeted Wendy with a big hug then turned to Na Ri and said, "Oh hey Na Ri! I wasn't expecting to see you here. Taeyong just got here a few minutes ago, want me to get him for you?" Na Ri proceeded to grab the nearest cup of questionable alcohol and threw it back, the liquor burning . "I'll take that as a no...enjoy the party!" He said as Wendy gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before pushing Na Ri further into the house and into the throng of people.

"I want to leave!" Na Ri yelled at Wendy over the music. 

"We just got here!" Wendy argued back. "Don't let Taeyong ruin the evening for you. I'll make sure to steer you away from him if we see him!" Wendy promised. Na Ri highly doubted that would happen since she figured she had only a few minutes before Wendy excused herself to go find Woojin or Chan. "Here let's get you a drink" She said grabbing a beer from one of the many coolers that were scattered around the house and handing it to Na Ri. Na Ri accepted the drink from her and followed her deeper into the crowd. People were scattered throughout the house, they were dancing in the living room, making out in the hallways, and cheering in the dining room. Na Ri was pretty sure it was Changbin who was on the kitchen table doing a keg stand.

Wendy tried to get Na Ri to dance with her, but Na Ri shook her head, "I'm not drunk enough for that yet!" She told her cousin who shrugged and dragged Woojin, who had finally made an appearance, out into the crowd leaving Na Ri against the wall by herself. Na Ri watched the crowd as she finished her beer. The beer hadn't done quite what she was hoping so she wandered into the kitchen to see what kind of mind numbing concoction she could make. Instead she found Minho and his girlfriend among the drinks in the kitchen. 


"Hey oh! Na Ri! What are you doing here?" He asked smiling at her. He was leaning against the counter with an arm around Yeri. Minho was a local bartender and member of SKZ so he was often practicing his drink making skills at the parties. He also would make special drinks for those he knew if they asked, always happy for the chance to test his special projects.  

"Looking to get drunk, any suggestions?" She asked looking over all the bottles.

"How drunk are we talking?" Minho asked taking a sip of his own drink. 

"Drunk enough to stop thinking for a while." Na Ri answered. 

Minho's smile turned devious, "You've come to the right SKZ member for that. I have the perfect mixture that I like to call 'The Maker of Bad Decisions'"

Yeri, his girlfriend, made a face. "Hon that's a terrible name." She spoke up.

Minho shrugged, "The names a work in progress, but the drink will do the trick."

Na Ri smiled at them, "Well then don't keep me waiting."

Minho quickly went to work mixing the drink, Na Ri lost count of the number of different bottles he grabbed and added to the concoction. She was just beginning to think that maybe this wasn't the best idea when Minho handed the drink to her. "Bottoms up" He said, the mischievous look still in his eye. This was definitely a bad idea. Na Ri took a sip of the drink and almost spit it back out the taste of alcohol was so strong. "Oh yeah, the taste is a , but hey...it's not supposed to taste good." He said watching her struggle to drink it.

"Fair..." She coughed out. "Thanks for the drink." She said nodding to him and Yeri before leaving the kitchen and making her way through the house. She nursed the drink for a while watching Wendy still out on the dance floor with Woojin. Halfway through the drink she didn't think it was affecting her as much as Minho claimed it would, but when she made her way towards the stairs to explore upstairs she almost tripped on her own feet and the drink came dangerously close to spilling all over Changbin who was passing by. Na Ri began to giggle uncontrollably. "Whoopsie." She giggled at him before grabbing onto the rail. When had the room started to spin? It took her a while but she eventually made it upstairs, occasionally bumping into people and giggling before say a loud "Sorry!" and continuing on her way. She didn't really know where she was going, just letting her feet lead the way. It wasn't until she stumbled into the arms of someone and the empty cup of bad decisions dropped to the floor that she finally stopped. Giggling she looked up to see who had caught her.

The surprised face of Taeyong looked down at her. Na Ri giggled again, her face was really warm. "Aw man!" She pouted.

"Na Ri what are you doing here?" Taeyong asked, he sounded much more sober than her, but his face and ears were red.

Na Ri grabbed onto his arms to steady herself against him, his arms securing her around the waist, before answering. "I am drinking my problems away! Letting loose!" She cried out to no one in particular before giggling again. Taeyong's arms were stronger than they looked, Na Ri thought.

"How much have you had?" Taeyong asked looking her over. Na Ri didn't think she looked that bad, but Taeyong was looking at her all concerned and she didn't like that. She didn't like the way he looked at her. She didn't like the way he bit his lip all the time and always got her so distracted.

Na Ri shook her head trying to get some hair out of her face. Taeyong was still holding her upright, close to himself, but he lifted one of his hands to get the hair out of her face for her and tucked it behind her ear. Na Ri blamed the drink for the little shiver that ran down her spine "I had a cup of s'mething at the door, a beeeeer.... and then Minho had made me s'me drink he called Bad Decisions? Maker Bad? I don't know but it had A LOT!" She shared, smiling at him. Why did he look so worried, this was a party! You shouldn't be worried at a party. 

"Did you come by yourself?" He asked looking around to see if someone had followed her up the stairs. 

"You ask soooooo many questions! No I did not. Wendy....my cousin Wendy is here. She brought me." Na Ri said. 

"Why don't we go downstairs and to the backyard. I think you need to get some air." Taeyong suggested.

Na Ri whined, "But I just got up here and it took me soooo long!" She pouted again.

"I'll help you ok," Taeyong said grabbing on tighter to her waist and helping her walk down the stairs. Na Ri allowed him to lead her, giggling every time she would accidentally bump into him. Eventually they made it downstairs and Taeyong steered her out to the backyard where the cool air washed over them like a blanket. Na Ri hadn't realized how warm she had gotten inside the house. Taeyong helped her sit down on the step and then sat down next to her. Leaning her head on Taeyong's shoulder she closed her eyes, the spinning was starting to get a little annoying. 

"How are you feeling now?" He asked looking down at her. 

"Mmmmm better." She sighed. She could smell the cedar and cinnamon again, plus the smell of whatever alcohol he had been drinking. "You smell good." She stated.

"Why are you here at a party trying to 'let loose'" Taeyong asked still looking down at her.

Na Ri craned her neck back to look at him opening to speak but getting distracted yet again. "Umm..." She said dumbly. The tip of Taeyong's tongue peaked out as he wet his lips, drawing her eyes down.

"Na Ri?" Taeyong asked, pulling her from her thoughts.

"127....CNT....NTC...no wait....N C T 127.....he uploaded a photo" Na Ri started blinking at him. 

Taeyong closed his eyes and sighed, "Yeah I saw it too..." 

Na Ri pouted at him again, "Why does this keep happening to me?" She asked. "Why does the universe keep putting you in my life?" The universe, oh gosh now she was starting to sound like JYP.

Taeyong frowned at her, "Am I that horrible to you?" Taeyong asked. Something flickered in his eyes, but Na Ri was too tired and every thing was still spinning too fast for her to figure out what.

Na Ri met his gaze again as she thought about it. Was he? Was he horrible to her? No. He really wasn't. Not this Taeyong at least. But she still couldn't erase from her mind what had happened, what he had said. She was so tired of thinking about it, so tired of thinking about him all the time. So tired of just thinking in general. So she stopped thinking. She stopped thinking and leaned in and kissed him.

Taeyong didn't kiss her back at first, probably because he was in shock. But as her hands came up to card through his hair he closed his eyes and kissed her back. He tasted like alcohol, or was it her? She wasn't sure, but she wanted more. She pulled him in closer. Kissing Taeyong was like playing with fire. The flames at her as he kissed her back, the flames grew as his hands grabbed onto her hips and pulled her body closer to his and as his tongue swiped against she was engulfed. She would probably regret this in the morning, she would probably regret a lot of things, but she honestly couldn't find it within herself to care. She gasped against his mouth as he bit down lightly on her bottom lip, pulling him even closer to her, not that there was much space left between them. He moaned against her lips as she pulled on his hair. It sounded like music to her ears.  

Eventually they had to come up for air. And as she looked at Taeyong, his hair mussed and his pupils blown wide, the realization of what she had just done began to set in. Taeyong opened his mouth to speak and Na Ri quickly, or as quickly as she could, jumped up from her spot on the steps next to him, out of his arms, and made her way back into the house. Taeyong didn't run after her. She was thankful, she didn't know what she would have done if he did. A part of her was afraid that she would kiss him again, because there was no way of denying it. Taeyong was a great kisser and she had liked kissing him.

She stumbled through the kitchen and out into the living room where Wendy was sitting on Chan's lap. "Wendy..." She called out making her way over to her. 

"Hey couz, where have you been?" She asked smiling up at her. 

"I need to leave." Na Ri stated, feeling like she was going to cry. What had she done? This was a disaster, a nightmare. 

Her face must have shown that something was wrong, because Wendy looked at her concerned and didn't argue. "Ok darling, we can go." She nodded. She gave Chan a kiss on the cheek, "Sorry honey, I can't stay longer. I'll see you all later ok?" She said to Chan before standing up and helping Na Ri out of the house. "Is everything ok?" She asked putting her arm around Na Ri to support her. 

"I don't want to talk about it right now." Na Ri replied shaking her head.

"I understand, let's get you back to the dorm, drink some water, and get you to bed. You're going to have a massive hangover tomorrow." Wendy grimaced.

The next morning as promised Na Ri woke with an incredible hangover and a terrible feeling. It took her a while to get her bearings, almost throwing up when she opened her eyes, but was able to keep it together. She wasn't sure for how long that would last though. Seulgi and Wendy were already awake and having quiet conversation on her bed. They looked over when Na Ri groaned. "I feel horrible." She moaned. It almost came out a whisper but Na Ri felt like she was screaming.

"Yeah Chan texted me asking if you were ok. Said Minho told him that he gave you his latest drink mix." Wendy shared. "You should know better than to take drinks from Minho." Wendy shook her head. 

Na Ri rolled over to look at them. "I asked him to make it." 

Seulgi's eyebrows rose, "Why on earth would you do that!" 

Na Ri frowned, "I wanted to let loose."

"By drinking toxic waste?" Wendy questioned crossing her arms. "What happened last night? You seemed really freaked out when we left. Did someone try to make a pass at you?" 

Na Ri closed her eyes trying to think back. "Um I remember going upstairs.....I ran into Taeyong I think."

"Uh oh." Seulgi muttered giving Wendy a look.

"He was asking me a lot of questions, I don't know, I can't remember exactly. Next thing I remember is we were in the backyard and then..." Na Ri frowned trying to remember. "And then...." As the events of last night played back through her mind the best they could a cold sense of dread washed over her. "Oh my god...." She muttered burying her head into her pillow.

"What?! What happened?" Seulgi asked. 

"I think I kissed him..."   


Yeah so this chapter is loooooong overdue. I only had 100 words of it finished for the longest time and no idea how to continue. I knew what I wanted to write, but the problem is I am not a partier. I do not go to frat parties. So trying to write one with no experience? Difficult. I also was working on another story and then Woojin left Stray Kids and I had no motivation to write. It's been a rollercoaster. But HEY! I'm done with this semester and I finished this chapter! I'm hoping the fact that they kiss makes up for the fact it too me forever to write it. 

Much Love,

Ashton