Say My Name

Betting on Boredom

Wendy sat at the coffee shop, nursing her cup of coffee and watching students rush by to their early morning classes. She had left a sleeping Seulgi and knocked out Na Ri at the dorm room. Wendy figured Na Ri wouldn't recover for another few hours after passing out the night before which gave her plenty of time this morning for what she needed to do. Looking at her phone as the minutes ticked down to 8 am she wondered if he would show. Eventually, however, Wendy saw the man in question appear outside the windows of the coffee shop, running a hand through his hair and fiddling with his jacket. Wendy smiled into her coffee cup as he visibly took a deep breath before opening the door and entering. Wendy lazily raised her hand and waved at him as he scanned the coffee shop. He approached and sat opposite of her at the table, clearing his throat nervously and fiddling with his jacket again. 

"It's so nice to finally meet you, you know." Wendy said raising her cup to her lips before taking another sip, looking at the man over the rim of her cup. "I must say I'm such a big fan." He wasn't what she expected to be sure, she had expected him to look more chic, more pretentious, more...hipster or something. She couldn't say she didn't like that he wasn't what she expected. 

"I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about," The man replied crossing his arms over his chest, his eyes flickering around the coffee shop, which was fairly busy.

Wendy let out a short laugh setting down her coffee cup. "Oh honey, don't try to play games with me. I'm not interested. I know you're NCT 127."

The man stiffened in front of her. "No I'm not, what are you talking about?" He replied.

Wendy clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes. "Oh come on. You're really going to try to get me to believe that. I saw the photo. You obviously didn't mean to post it and honestly I'm shocked no one else has figured it out yet." 

"I really don't know what you mean. I'm not NCT 127." The man pressed. 

Wendy sighed. "See I was going to give you a chance to confess to me privately so we could talk it out, but I guess I'll just have to go to Na Ri and tell her that her friend Johnny has been lying to her."

Johnny ran a hand through his hair and looked around the coffee shop again. "You don't have any proof..." He said 

Wendy smiled at him again, holding up her phone. "Oh but I do. I have that same picture in my messages from before it was published on NCT 127's site with Ten saying you were the photographer."

Johnny visibly deflated. "You can't...you can't tell them...."

"Well why do you think I wanted to talk to you in private first darling?" Wendy replied, leaning back in her chair.  "I'm amazed none of our friends have figured it out honestly, or are you just that good at hiding it from them?"

"I mean I have been hiding it, but I don't think it's even occurred to them that it might be someone they know." Johnny confessed running a hand through his hair again.

"You realize that Ten is going to figure it out when he sees the photo." Wendy continued. "What are you planning on doing when he does?"

"I don't know...try to convince him to keep my secret? If Na Ri finds out she's going to kill me." Johnny slumped back in his chair, picturing the various ways she would try to kill him if she did find out. He knew his friend could be hot headed, but he feared this would mean the end of their friendship. As much as they joked about not caring about each other and got on each others nerves they were still friends. 

"Oh she's going to do more than kill you..." Wendy added taking another sip of her coffee. "So how did you get started? Why are you doing this all anonymously?"

Johnny sighed and bit his lip before answering, "I've always been interested in photography, it's been a hobby of mine since I was in middle school. I never thought I was good enough to be able to do anything with it, it was just something I enjoyed doing. I took a photography class for fun my first semester though and my professor said I should give it a try. I wasn't ready to put myself out there in case I failed, so I started under a pseudonym. If I was horrible and no one was interested or they absolutely hated it then it wasn't Johnny Seo failing in front of everyone but NCT 127. I never expected anyone to actually be interested in my work or to gain a following. I certainly didn't expect to become somewhat famous for it."

"But why didn't you ever reveal yourself? I mean, once you realized you weren't failing at it." Wendy questioned. 

Johnny shrugged. "I don't know... I kind of liked it being a secret. It was kind of cool to hear Na Ri fangirling over NCT 127 and not knowing that it was actually me. I mean i figured I would tell them someday, but I think with the whole Taeyong thing that might be a bad idea now..."

"So you want me and Ten to keep your secret for you" 

"Well...I mean..." Johnny fidgeted in his seat, his hand going to play with the watch on his wrist, "Yeah...for right now at least. I'm going to have to tell her, but I figure...maybe....after she's less mad?"

Now it was Wendy's turn to sigh. Looking out the window she watched as a couple of squirrels chased each other around a tree nearby, "I'll keep your secret ...but you have to promise me that you're going to tell her eventually. Also I can't make any promises that Ten's going to keep your secret..." She stated looking back at the man sitting across from her. 

"I know .... but thank you" Johnny replied giving her a small relieved smile. 

"Now I'd better be off. Na Ri is going to have a killer headache when she wakes up and I have a lot of questions for her about what happened last night, plus you'd better get to Ten before he finds out ...or before he tells anyone." Wendy said getting up from her seat. "It was nice to finally meet you Johnny. Don't be such a stranger." She continued, winking at him and giving him a blinding smile before flouncing out of the coffee shop. Johnny watched her leave, wondering how someone could appear so put together at 8 in the morning. 

 

 

 

"YOU DID WHAT!!"

Na Ri grabbed her head, "Owww....please don't yell at me it hurts..." 

"YOU CAN'T JUST SAY THAT AND NOT EXPECT ME TO YELL!" Seulgi continued, mouth agape. Wendy too looked shocked, looking to form words, but nothing coming out. For once she was completely speechless.

"I know, I know....I don't know what happened. One moment we were sitting on the stairs the next we were kissing and I just....oh god...I need to transfer to a different school, I need to change my name." Na Ri moaned before burying her head into her pillow.

"Well....was he at least a good kisser?" Wendy asked finally. Na Ri looked over at her cousin and threw her the best glare she could, but considering her hungover state it was pretty pathetic. Wendy shrugged, "It's a valid question!"

"Well I'm not answering it or talking about it..." Na Ri grumbled turning to face the other way. "Now somebody get me some painkillers before I die." 

Wendy smirked at Seulgi, "He must have been pretty good. She would be gloating if he wasn't."

Na Ri grumbled some more, while Seulgi got off her bed to grab the ibuprofen from her desk. "You know you're right. If he had been terrible she wouldn't shut up about how bad he was."

Seulgi passed the ibuprofen to Na Ri who gratefully took it. "I don't want to talk about it." Na Ri pouted again, sitting up in her bed and reaching for the water bottle she always kept by her bed. 

"Ok, ok fine... We won't bother you about it right now." Wendy said putting her hands up in surrender. "But you know you can't ignore him because of this. You still have to go to his competition."

Na Ri sighed before popping the ibuprofen and drinking some water, "I know, I'm still going to go, ....but I'm avoiding him everywhere else."

"What about the bet? Or trying to get him to fall for you?" Seulgi asked sitting back down next to Wendy. 

"I honestly don't even want to think about it right now.... can we talk about it later when I don't feel like I've been run over by a truck." Na Ri pleaded

Wendy leaned forward and ruffled Na Ri's hair, who just frowned back at her as her hair became even more of a mess. "Of course sweetie. Want to go get something to eat? A shower and some food will help with that hangover."

Na Ri nodded grateful, "That sounds heavenly." 

"Let me text Johnny and Ten and see if they want to join us." Seulgi spoke up pulling out her phone. "You still haven't met Johnny and you've been here...three days now?" Wendy smiled to herself, which went unnoticed by the two girls.

Na Ri scoffed, "Johnny might be up, but you'll be lucky if you can get Ten out of bed this early." 

"Sweetheart.....it's 12pm..." Wendy informed her. 

Na Ri blinked, ".....It's what..."

"Yeah, it's already lunch time technically." Seulgi said not looking up from her phone. "Both Johnny and Ten said they can go, where do you guys want to get something to eat?" 

"How about that pancake place nearby, pancakes sound really good right now..." Na Ri suggested slowly getting out of bed to go get a shower. 

"Ok I'll tell them to meet us there in like 40 minutes so you can get a shower and get dressed." Seulgi informed the girls as she texted the boys back. 

"Sounds good to me." Na Ri replied before leaving the room with her shower supplies and clothes.

Forty-two minutes later Na Ri, Wendy and Seulgi arrived at the pancake place to find Johnny and Ten already there waiting for them and seated. Ten waved them over. "Finally! I'm starving!" Ten cried as they sat down.

"You think you're starving..." Na Ri replied rolling her eyes before laying her head against the cool table and closing her eyes. 

"Wendy this is the elusive Johnny we keep telling you about." Seulgi said nodding towards Johnny who was nervously fidgeting with his jacket. 

Wendy smiled and extended her hand over the table. "So you're the Johnny I keep hearing about...I was beginning to think you were avoiding me." She said giving him a wink as he shook her hand. 

Johnny laughed awkwardly, "Ha... no, just never had the opportunity to meet before. It's uh...nice to meet you too..." He replied, his eyes flickering towards Na Ri to see if she seemed to be acting any differently. She was too busy burying her head in her arms to notice or care about what was going on. Johnny had woken Ten upon returning to his dorm after talking with Wendy that morning. He had first sworn him to secrecy before telling him that he was NCT 127. There was then about thirty minutes of Johnny trying to keep Ten from getting to his phone as he freaked out over the news, proclaiming that he needed to tell Na Ri and Seulgi. It took putting him in to a choke hold on the floor to get him to listen and promise to keep the secret. The whole walk over Ten kept exclaiming in amazement that he couldn't believe his own roommate could keep this from him. Johnny was pretty sure it was only a matter of time before the secret was out. He was counting down the days till Na Ri murdered him. 

"So Na Ri can we tell the boys about last night or do you want to do the honors?" Wendy asked. 

"I would rather die." Na Ri mumbled.

 

 

 

TYTrack: Hey can we talk...

TYTrack: I know you're probably freaking out about what happened

TYTrack: You probably are planning to avoid me and I completely understand, but just hear me out

TYTrack: Listen come by the studio tonight around 4, before everyone gets there, so we can talk for just a few minutes. I promise I'll never mention what happened again

NaReally: Ok


Can I just say how excited I was to write the reveal of NCT 127 and Johnny and Wendy's interaction. I really like that scene and their conversation. I think Wendy has been my favorite character to write for.  What do you all think Taeyong is going to say to Na Ri?

 

Much Love,

Ashton