Born Hater

Betting on Boredom

Gang Na Ri was a hater. A certified hater and everyone knew it. She spoke out about things if she thought they were unfair or bad. If she disagreed with something everyone would know about it and she hated those who were unnecessarily mean. She was a passionate person with a short fuse. So with Na Ri there were many times when she jumped the gun and misunderstand a situation. This was the case with a certain person named Lee Taeyong. He had been a new student the semester before and it had been quickly discovered that he was on Na Ri's hate list. But no one knew why. Everyone who met him left with a wonderful impression and genuine liking for the boy. So just as quickly as it was discovered that she hated him was it discovered that she was the only one, which of course made her hate him all the more. But it seemed fate was against her, as she couldn't seem to escape him and his generally large amount of popularity amongst the school.

"Ms. Gang I want you to write a piece on Lee Taeyong and that upcoming competition he's going to be in." You could have heard a pin drop in the journalism room as seven pairs of eyes turned to Na Ri waiting to see her reaction.

"Professor...don't you think Howon would be better than me at writing that kind of piece?" Na Ri asked, not about to blatantly tell the professor she wasn't going to do it. "And....may I ask why the university newspaper is going to write an entire article about a single student? One who is only a Junior."

The seven pairs of eyes swivled back to the professor to hear her response. "Ms. Gang, you are one of our best writers, and I would have thought you would jump on the chance to get one of the top stories." The professor simply replied, knowing all to well about the friction between Na Ri and Taeyong. There likely wasn't a single person in the school who hadn't heard. "I'm giving the story to you, and I expect it to be amongst you best work. As to why we're writing this story that will be for you to tell us in your article."

Na Ri sat back in her chair, unable to think a way out of her horrible situation. She didn't even bother to listen to the rest of the assignments given to the remaining students and when the professor signaled the meeting was over she was the first one out the door making a bee line for the other side of campus.

She was given a few strange looks from people who didn't know her as she stomped through the campus pathways muttering threats under her breath, but for the most part the school's inhabitants had gotten used to Na Ri's strange antics whenever something had upset her.

She arrived at a small building that would have seemed pretty normal if not for the giant antenna that was sitting on top of it. The campus radio station was pretty awesome in Na Ri's opinion, they played all kinds of music from retro to recent and even a lot of foreign stuff. They even housed some of the best DJ's in Seoul who had more to talk about than whether or not a celebrity had gotten a job. Of course Na Ri also knew she was insanely biased since most of her friends worked at the radio station. Waltzing in through the front doors Na Ri walked over to the front desk and sighed loudly as she placed her elbows on the counter and her head in her hands. The receptionist sitting behind the desk didn't even look up from his papers, his feet crossed and propped up on the table. 

Na Ri sighed louder to get his attention, but he still didn't look up, just flipping the page he was reading in a packet over to go on to the next one. "Teeeeen....you're supposed to ask me what's wrong!" Na Ri frowned at the boy.

"I would, but there's a 9/10 chance it has to do with Taeyong and honestly I don't want to get involved again." Ten replied still not looking up. "Besides, I have important homework I need to be focusing on."

Na Ri quickly snatched the paper from his hand. Giving it a quick look over she snorted. "This is Harry Potter fanfiction. Who prints out Harry Potter fanfiction?"

Ten frowned and grabbed the paper back from her. "HEY! How would you know that not's part of my homework. I AM a theater major."

"Because not even fanfiction would persuaded you to actually put effort into your homework" Na Ri pointed out. "Now, is Seulgi still on air?"

Ten checked the computer in front of him. "She should be wrapping up the show now, you can go on back into the booth and wait for her." He answered nodding her on to the back. Na Ri gave him an over dramatic bow that he rolled his eyes at before going back to his 'homework'.

The booth was a trip. A trip, as in every time she visited it Na Ri felt like she had been transported back to the 70's. The carpet was shag, maybe a light brown bordering on orange color, but she had a suspicion that wasn't the color originally. The air was forever tainted with the smell of cigarettes and , and there were at least 7 open beer bottles every time she visited. The wood paneled walls were riddled with dart marks and old movie and album posters. The reason for the strange atmosphere was sitting at the sound board waiting for the DJ to finish, Park Jinyoung, or JYP as he insisted to be called, was a college professor in charge of the radio station. To Na Ri he was like that one strange Uncle who you never really knew what he did and he always wanted hugs. She wasn't even sure what he taught or if he even left the radio station. The only time she could recall thinking she saw him outside was when she saw a man with a grocery cart full of junk dumpster diving at a Taco Bell. She had sworn up and down to Ten that it was JYP but they could never prove it. 

"Ah! If it isn't my favorite hater! Na Ri! What bitter wind brings you in today?" JYP crooned placing his arms behind his head.

"The same one that brought me into this life." Na Ri joked with the man. He laughed before turning his attention back to the board to switch it to a song. The DJ had finished and was now coming out of the booth looking tired. Na Ri jumped on her almost immediately. "Seulgi! You'll never believe what happened" Na Ri cried.

"Hey Na Ri. Give me a minute and maybe a beer and I'd probably guess this has to do with Taeyong." Seulgi replied letting Na Ri latch onto her like a koala and guide her over to the couch. Na Ri frowned at her friend's words. Was she really so predictable that everyone could guess who her problem's were about?

"Well yeah...but I have to write an article about him and that competition he's in for the newspaper! Which means....I'll have to talk and interact with him." Na Ri sighed feeling dejected. 

"Oh no. How will you survive." Seulgi said, not even a hint of sympathy in her voice, as she checked her phone. She had gotten used to Na Ri's complaints about Taeyong, they tended to come at least once a week but usually more. As Na Ri would say the universe hated her and used Taeyong to get back at her. 

"I won't survive." Na Ri moaned.

"Stop being over dramatic, that's Ten's job." Seulgi stated flicking her best friend on the forehead.

"I HEARD THAT!" Ten shouted from the other room making both girls smile.

JYP took that moment to bring in his 'sage' advice. "Na Ri, my man....uh wo-man, I think this is life presenting you with a great opportunity to...overcome, this hate that you have for the boy. The world is made unbalanced with hate and now the spirits want to balance it, balance you...with love." If she hadn't grown accustomed to JYP's strange way of talking she probably would have laughed out loud at what he said, but she was able to withhold herself.

"Thanks...man." Na Ri replied. "I'll give that some thought." JYP nodded like he was satisfied and turned back to the sound board as if he said all he needed to say.

"Come on. I know what will make you feel better." Seulgi said standing up.

"Burritos as big as my head?" Na Ri asked her face brightening considerably.

"Burritos as bis as your head." Seulgi confirmed.

"Yes!" Na Ri cried jumping up and raising her fists in the air.

Ten's head poked through the door. "Can I come?" He asked looking hopeful.

"I don't know, did you finish your homework?" Na Ri joked smiling.

"Oh shove it." Ten scoffed rolling his eyes.

"I guess you can come, unless uncle JYP needs you for something." Na Ri replied looking over at the man.

"Be free! Life is calling you!" JYP answered waving them out.

"Alrighty then. Let's go eat our heads in burritos!" Na Ri cried ushering herself and her friends out of the building.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NaReally: At what point am I allowed to give up on life?

Tenoutof10: anytime

DJPringle: Never

DJPringle: TEN. BAD ADVICE

Tenoutof10: I mean it probably is, but it's TRUE.

Tenoutof10: Na Ri is allowed to give up anytime, but SHOULD SHE is the real question.

NaReally: I wasn't aware you where a philosopher

NaReally: *were

Tenoutof10: I do it on the side. Just call me Doctor 10

Tenoutof10: Oooooooo I'd make a y doctor.

DJPringle: I need to go wash my mind out with bleach

Tenoutof10: You pictured it didn't you. Tell me how hot was it? Did I rival McDreamy?

DJ Pringle: I'M FXXKING. TEN NO

DJPringle: I want to die. Ri can I join you?

NaReally: Yes I welcome anyone who wants to join.

Tenoutof10: Even Taeyong?

NaReally: ...

DJPringle: You HAD to go there

NaReally: Well time for me to go die, enjoy life ers

Tenoutof10: Nooooooo Na Ri come back

NaReally: Fine but you owe me alcohol

Tenoutof10: ...

Tenoutof10: Deal

DJPringle: Why am i friends with you guys...

 


Hello everyone this is my first time writing for NCT.

I feel like there are practically no NCT/OC fics on here so I decided to write one

This is obviously a Taeyong fic but we also have Ten and Yuta in this story and we might even see more of the other members

I have another NCT story in the works focusing on Yuta

But I don't want to have to many stories going on at once.

Once The Stolen Heart is done and I have a firm handle on Betting ont Boredom I may start that one.

I hope you all enjoy the story and give lots of feed back.

 

Much Love,

Ashton