I Broke

Unforgettable

 

I stumbled through the door of my deserted apartment. After all of the events today, my mind piled up with questions.

Why would Hana still have it… wear it even?

The door banged shut as I closed it with my foot and quiet surrounded me. Whereas I deeply buried in my thoughts, couldn’t hardly see a thing in the pitch black dark of my cold apartment.

I flicked a nearby light switch on, my kitchen automatically lightening while I strode to my bedroom and flopped down, my back against the unmade bed. My legs were sore from all the walking and skating. The image of Hana kept replaying in my head. Seeing her with Doojoon… it tore my heart up. Knowing the fact that she’s moved on and there was no love, no memory left of me made it even worse. I couldn’t even look her straight in the eyes without wanting to break apart.

The question of her having the couple ring still lingered in my thoughts, however. Part of me hoped it was a sign. A sign that there was still another chance for me, that she somehow deep down, still loves me.

Extending my hand to the nightstand, pulling open the drawer, searching for something I never thought I‘d pull out in a long time. My fingers grasped it tightly and pulled it out with one tug.

My part of our couple ring dangled in the air as I held it up before my eyes. Though it was pitch-black in the room, the only diminutive amount of light coming from outside the door, the ring still gleamed; its golden color practically glowing. My thumb ran through the engraved word on it:

Forever

Biting my bottom lip, I strived to hold back the tears. I couldn’t cry; I’ve been bawling in tears for the past 3 weeks. I had to endure it; I couldn’t change the present even though I desperately wished I could.

Although my heart was damaged, my body still strained with exhaustion.  Not able to move, I laid there until my mouth let out a tired yawn and my eyes began to close shut.

Swiftly falling into a deep sleep, a single tear fell, stopping right at the edge of my cheek.

~~~~~

A gust of wind made its way through the window causing paper to fly and scatter everywhere. Groaning, I settled down my chopsticks and gathered all the disordered papers together and back to the stack on my desk. The next day came by fairly quick being I spent the whole day cleaning my pigsty of an apartment.

Stupid wind, interfering with my dinner

While getting the papers situated, a small piece fell from the stack and landed flat on the floor. I set the neat pile back on my desk and reached for the fallen piece.

It was a photograph.

Curious, I flipped it over and froze when the image appeared clearly before my eyes. I remember the time unmistakably. It was clear as day.

Me and Hana’s first Christmas together

We both looked happy as ever with the matching binis she joyfully knitted for us and the silver pendant necklace I got her which she treasured dearly. Nothing in the world could compare to that day. I’ve never been so elated.

My knees grew weak; I hunched down, back against the wall, not once taking my eyes off the photo. This day, not only was it our first Christmas together, but also our first kiss. I tried to smile at the memory, but being that she’s gone now… I couldn’t bring myself to.

Tears blurred my vision as they soon escaped my eyes and rolled down my face, landing on the picture. I gripped the picture tighter as if it was a priceless treasure and held it to my chest, continuing to sob.

Nothing was going right. Ever since the mistake I had made of letting Hana go, my life, sad to say, rapidly gone downhill. Knowing that my precious Hana was alone by herself in a cold bed with no one by her side tore me apart. However, now it’s Doojoon there with her, keeping her contented and loved; the thought of that broke me.

I couldn’t endure any longer, I needed her; I laid the photograph down and grabbed my keys at the front counter along with my coat, shooting out the door.

I’m coming Hana… I’m coming

~~~~~

My hands, tightly gripped on the steering wheel raced on the streets as I desperately drove to Hana’s apartment. The way there was still in my head along with every other single memory of Hana. It felt as if just yesterday, I was driving there so I could have her in my arms. My eyes having vigorous trails of tears fall from them. Wiping them away with my sleeve, I focused on the road and groaned when yet another red light flashed.

 

Her apartment complex felt like memory lane when I entered it and parallel parked.

Oh, how I’ve missed this…

Taking a moment to gain confidence and wipe away any remaining tears, I uneasily walked in the building which I haven’t dared enter in a while.

Everything was here, still. The transparent glass elevator, the hallway with its dim lighting. The smell of vanilla when you exit the elevator onto Hana’s floor. It all still remained here, like nothing, not a single thing, had changed.

Turning a corner, I noticed Hana at her door, digging for her keys in her purse.

This is it Yoseob, you can do this.

I took a step closer to her. “Hana…”

She recognized my voice almost immediately and dropped her keys and purse, frozen. Slowly, she turned her head to meet my eyes and a gasp escaped from her lips.

“Y-Yoseob,” she whispered, unbelievingly.

“Yeah, Hana, it’s me,” I said with hopeful eyes. Seeing her appearance, I could tell she didn’t want me to be here, but I had to.

“What are you-“

“I came so we could talk,” I admitted, cutting her off.

She bit her lip and turned her head away from my gaze. We both stayed silent until she broke it. “There’s nothing to talk. There’s nothing I want to say or hear,” she stated.

“Yes there is,” I slightly argued, trying to meet her eyes again.

“No there isn’t, Yoseob please-“

I couldn’t take it anymore, I broke. Being seen as weak and vulnerable didn’t matter any longer. I love her, and she had to know that.

Not letting her finishing her sentence, I staggered towards here and pulled the necklace out from under her shirt. I held up her part of our couple ring; it shone clearly before both of our eyes. “Explain to me Hana… why you still have this,” I questioned, staring deeply into her eyes.

“Yoseob… I-I-“

“You still love me… don’t you,” I finished.

No words came out; instead, I pulled out my own part of the couple ring. Her eyes widened at the object, her eyes then moved to mine once again. “Yoseob…”

I softened as she uttered my name. Hearing that sweet sound lifted my heart.

“I, I’ve never stopped loving you either,” I murmured admittingly and stepped closer to her, enclosing the space between us. This was a bold choice I was making although Hana didn’t object.

Maybe this is a sign. Maybe we are meant to be together.

My hand reached for her cheek, caressing it. “I’m sorry, Hana, for everything,” I cried as my other arm s around her waist, our foreheads touching. “I’m sorry…”

I pressed my lips softly on hers and closed my eyes. The touch of her lips sent a warm current scurrying in my body. She stayed still there, as her hands reached to cup my cheeks and pull me in closer. Gently, I pushed her against the wall, tilting my head at an angle and kissed her more hungrily this time. The touch of her lips, the feel I’ve longed for. She didn’t oppose and went along as the kiss gotten more heated.

“I miss this,” I whispered against her lips. She nodded and tugged me into another kiss, our lips fitting perfectly together. This moment, was absolutely priceless. I’ve missed her and the taste of her lips.

However, just when I thought things were going fine, the sound of something dropping and a gasp emitted from the nearby corner. Hana worriedly pulled away to glance at the figure, a figure who we both were shocked from. A figure who we both, by no means, wanted to hurt.

Doojoon

He looked like he’d seen a ghost and a bocay of roses lay upsettingly on the floor. “I-I can’t,” he quietly spoke as his eyes filling up with water and a teardrop spilled down.

He backed away and exited out of the hallway. Hana looked at the scene disbelievingly. In a flash, she escaped from my grasp and ran frantically after Doojoon.

My body stayed motionless as the events replayed in my head.

Doojoon’s expression and shattered heart.

Hana’s expression along with distress in her eyes.

I buried my face in my hands and frustratingly rubbed my face and tangled my fingers in my hair. This can’t be happening, not now.

Yang Yoseob, what did you just do?

~~~~

Author’s Note:

Sorry, I know I haven’t updated in a long time. Well the season’s over so I should be updating more frequent. Well thank you for reading :)