Our "Memory Box"

Unforgettable

 

“Yes,” Hana answered, surely of what she wants.

I froze unbelievingly. Had Hana just said yes?

No. This couldn’t be happening, not now.

“R-really?” Doojoon asked, clearly he was just as stunned as I.

Hana nodded her head with a reassuring smile, “Yes, Yoon Doojoon, I will be your girlfriend.” With that, she opened her arms and took him into a gentle hug, making the whole restaurant applaud with cheer. All except me (And Kikwang and Junhyung).

I stared at the image with pure envy. Doojoon having Hana wrapped tightly in his arms, rocking her side to side while he planted a sweet kiss on her forehead. I couldn’t bear with it; I knew I’d break any moment now into a bawl of tears. I couldn’t let the boys see, I couldn’t let Hana see.

Without thinking, I reached for my wallet, buried in my back pocket and pulled out a few bills. “T-this should cover dinner,” I said and stood, storming dejectedly out of the restaurant.

“Yoseob!” I heard Junhyung called for me but I brushed it off.

I couldn’t stay any longer, it was indescribable, the way I was feeling. Even another minute in there, I‘d collapse, seeing my Hana with Doojoon knowing there was not a thing in the world I could do to stop them. My heart was practically draining with pain by now with nothing to fix it with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I overwhelmingly opened my apartment door, heatedly slamming it shut and slumping down against it. My palm roughly wiped the load of tears scurrying down my red, upset face. Never, in a million years did I ever think I’d be this heartbroken and result to this:

Me losing the one-of-a-kind amazing girl I love the most, to my friend who I knew was better for her than I was.  

…But it was me, I pushed her away. I was that heartless, that cruel and left her, crying, pleading for me back. How could I have done that? She deserves someone better than me, someone who won’t break her heart like I did.

You never know a good thing, until it’s gone… I’m sorry Hana.

…This is what I get. This is my punishment for being so careless, so ignorant, and so brutal.

 

Time flew by, and I finally had the courage to get up and stop the tears (if there were any left in me). My face was red as a tomato by now and my clothes stained with heavy, dry teardrops. Stepping into my messy bedroom with clothes thrown everywhere and empty water glasses and food plates, I tiredly threw myself on my bed. The warmth of my sheets filled my body, feeling as if I was melting.

I glanced into my closet, the door wide open with clothes falling from hangers and shoes scrappily spread all over the floor. But my gaze shifted to a box up on the high shelf, staring at me. For a moment, it seemed unfamiliar to me… until a light bulb clicked in my head.

I furled out of the sheets, to the closet, desperately reaching for the heavy box I had forgot about for the last 2 months.

Our box of memories

After our breakup, I cleared my apartment of anything that reminded or linked me to Hana. From stuffed animals to pictures to clothes she’d left, I stuffed it all in here, planning to return it all one day. But I never did…

I viciously searched through the entire box and I pulled out the first item, a small, folded piece of paper. I smiled as I reminisce the day…

The day we’d first met:

I entered the small bakery, picking up the cake for Kikwang’s surprise party Hyunseung was throwing him. The cashier handed me the cake with a flirty smile and wink, but I, of course, ignored it. I didn’t want to be here, I wanted to be with Doojoon and Junhyung, decorating.

The shop was empty except for a girl picking up cupcakes from the kitchen. She was holding 4 huge boxes of cupcakes, all blocking her view. She was a cute girl, not too short, light brown, silky hair which was extending down her back. She wore a skirt with a white blouse, and sequined flats. She was struggling to hold them so I lightly tapped her shoulder.

“Need any help?” I timidly asked.

“N-no thanks, I-I don’t want to b-bother y-you,” she replied and still tried her best to carry them.

“No, really I insist,” I said, taking the boxes from her hands, handing her the cake I was suppose to pick up.

“Here, can you hold this for me?” I asked. She tried to argue, but I shook my head, not willing to give up the cupcakes. She sighed in defeat and led me to her car, carrying Kikwang’s cake while I held her cupcakes.

I easily carried the heavy boxes out the door and smirked at her, showing off my muscles. Her cheeks turned bright red and she turned away. I chuckled at how cute she was.

We arrived at her car and I carefully set the boxes in the back seat. She gave me a small smile and handed me back my cake, shut the back door. “Thank you… for helping me,” she thanked and I nodded.

“Anytime,” I answered, shooting a cute smile at her.

“Well, I guess I better get going,” she said and slowly walked to the driver’s seat.

“WAIT” I called out, and she turned back with a curious look. “I-I never got your name,” I stated.

“It’s …Hana…” she shyly said, causing my smile to grow.

Hana

“I’m Yoseob,” I introduced.

She nodded, “It was nice meeting you, Yoseob. Thank you so much.” She reached for her door, until I stopped her, once again.

“Uh yeah?” she asked.

“W-what about your number?” I blurted unsmoothly.

“What about my number?” she playfully asked and lifted an eyebrow.

“C-can I have it?” I mumbled and she chuckled.

“I don’t know. I don’t usually give my number out to strangers with blonde hair,” she joked, pointing out my hair.

I blushed and she giggled. “I wanted to try something new, the lady at the salon said it would look good,” I admitted, causing her to giggle even louder.

“Okay, whatever,” she pulled out a small paper from her purse along with a pen, jotting down her number.

Yes, score!

She handed me the paper and I took it, gripping it tight in my hand. “Anything else?” she asked and I quickly shook my head. She again giggled at my “cuteness” and walked back to her car.

In a whiff, she speeded off leaving me with a goofy grin on my face, still gripping on the paper tight in my palm. I opened the paper to see her name, written neatly with her digits along with a message under it.

‘Yoseob, the lady at the salon was right. Your blonde hair really fits you’

I smiled at the memory. It was a beautiful day, that day. If it wasn’t for Hyunseung ordering me to pick up Kikwang’s cake, I would’ve never met the love of my life. I remember running to everyone at the party and talking nonstop about Hana. Clearly I was elated.

I also remember calling her nonstop and texting her until late at night.  

 

I pulled out a photograph next, it was of 23 cupcakes all ordered up onto a table. It was the day I confessed to her:

It’s been 2 months since I’d met Hana and each day, we’ve grown closer, and my feelings for her grown as well. I knew I should confess to her soon, before anyone else gets her and I wanted to be creative with everything. I want her to be happy.

I thought about the day we’d first met, how I’d help her with cupcakes and an idea made its way to my brain.

It took the whole day and all of my friends’ help, but we all managed to get the cupcakes done for Hana’s surprise tomorrow, even though Hyunseung did all of the work. I smiled at the finished product and gave Hyunseung a hug, thanking him over and over again.

 

December 17, I made my way to Hana’s apartment at around 7 with the box of cupcakes and an enormous teddy bear saying ‘Be mine’. She was still working, but I knew she’d be home soon so I had to be quick. I’ve been to her apartment quite a number of times, and I’d steal a glance or two when she’d type in her pass code.

Punching in the digits I’ve seen her do so many times…

Click

Her door unlocked and I came in her tidy apartment.

Yes I got in!

 I hurriedly but carefully set the cupcakes down and spread them out on the dining table spelling out:

 ‘Will You Be My Girlfriend? –Y’.

I smiled at the result. Everything was absolutely perfect.

You did a good job Yoseob

I heard the sound of heels coming close and immediately shut the lights and hid in a nearby hallway gripping the teddy bear closely.

I heard the sound of a door shutting and the lights flicking on. I did my best to hold in my excited laughter. I heard Hana gasp and a wide grin plastered all over my face. As if on cue, I jumped out.

“SURPRISE!” I exclaimed and saw her with her hands covering , eyes widened, completely astounded. I held out the bear and she stared at it, still with eyes almost bursting out of her face. She looked deep into my eyes with amazement filled in them.

“…So will you?” I nervously asked, hoping, praying her answer was yes.

“Yes,” she boldly answered, her lips stretching to a smile.

That moment, my dream had come true. That moment my heart was complete. That moment, the most wonderful girl the world had to offer… said yes.

 She took the bear and almost tackled me with a hug. My arms encircled her thin waist, not ever wanting to let her go.

Finally, you’re mine.

 

That was the best day of my life, the day I made Hana mine. Not once did the memory of it fail to make my heart lift. With excitement, I continued to look through all our memories, the ones I miss greatly.

At least I have these to hold onto…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Author's Note:

Okay here's a little update. The story was too sad so I did these to lighten the story up a bit. 

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, I had a game. 

 

Anyways.... ENJOY~