Couple Ring

Unforgettable

 

“Yah, Yoseob, I didn’t pay 13,000 wons just for you to sit and watch!” Hyunseung proclaimed as him and Kikwang began to skate their 5th round.

I was in no position to have fun at this point. Somehow, my friends had all managed to convince me to go ice skating with them. Being it was only 2 weeks since Doojoon had asked Hana out; I’ve been pretty down in the dumps. Surely, they all have noticed.

“Sorry hyung, I’m just… not really in the mood,” I responded, continuing to watch the overload of people on the rink.

“Come on Seobbie, it’s fun!” Dongwoon pleaded, spreading his arms out, as if they were wings. He looked like a complete fool skating like that on the ice, although it was quite funny.

“No thanks,” I declined, “I’m fine.” I knew they knew I was lying. I’m pretty sure Kikwang would’ve told them all about Hana and Doojoon, being the gossiper he was. Tsk, him and that mouth of his. They all tried their best to bring me up for the past week and a half, but I opposed, sad to say.

“Fine my ,” Junhyung scorned, coming back from his bathroom break. He reached in his bag, pulling out yet another can of Coke. Popping it open like he’s done 10 times today, he took a long sip out of it.

“Don’t be such a downer. At least try to have fun,” he implied.  “I know it hurts and all right now, but we all can’t stand to see you like this. You’re Yang Yoseob for crying out loud. You’re supposed to be high spirited, whimsical, and blissful and what not, come on,” Junhyung begged, doing his best to put on an aegyo pout.

I chuckled at his failed attempt.

Silly boy, everyone knows I’m the aegyo prince.

“Alright, since it cost Hyunseung ’13,000 wons’,” I said, mocking Hyunseung. I gave in, finally standing up. My legs felt like jelly sitting there for so long, so I did a couple stretches before I darted forward . “Let’s go,” I sang and rushed to the ice.

“Wait, hold on,” Junhyung called, finishing the last bit of his can.

I rolled my eyes. That boy and his coke.

We both entered the rink, skating towards the group past all the families and couples. It was pretty crowded for a Monday.

“Yoseob’s here!” I announced. Everyone widened their eyes in shock.

“Yoseob!” Kikwang cheered, “Finally you quit being such a party pooper.”

“You can thank me,” Junhyung smirked although everyone ignored him.

“Now we can officially start this party!” Dongwoon exclaimed, spreading his arms out once again. He advanced ahead of us, and well, being the little klutz he is, he lost his balance and fell. He landed on all fours, earning giggles from girls skating past, followed by half the rink laughing at him.

His face burned red from the embarrassment.

“Wasn’t that smooth?” Junhyung joked, giving him a hand up.

Continuing to skate, we all and jokingly mocked him for about 2 rounds. Dongwoon, by now, was used to it… the teasing. He fell many times in the past never failing to amuse us. Kikwang and Junhyung both spread open their arms and glided, purposely falling on their knees, making fun on Dongwoon.

Everyone burst into laughter, even Dongwoon himself couldn’t hold it in. We were all in a fit of snickers, but Hyunseung stayed quiet, staring at God-knows-what.

I eyed him curiously. My face wrinkled as I searched for what he was so focused on, but I couldn’t find anything… that would be captivating anyways. “Hyunseung, are you okay?” I asked curiously, snapping him out of his little daze.

“Y-yeah… it’s just… I think… I think that’s Hana over there,” he gestured to a petite-looking brunette, sitting on the bench across the ice.

That was Hana

There she sat, tying up the laces on her skates. Her silky brown hair was tied up in a high ponytail and she wore a light pink scarf which she probably knitted up. A tiny, gentle smile appeared as I reminisce all the times she’d knit up something for me- sweaters, hats, scarves, mittens, anything really. She claims she makes them all out of love… and I believe her. A caring, delightful girl like her does everything out of love.

Her face lifted, looking a little irritated, probably because she couldn’t figure out how to tie her skates. I, of course, had to always do it for her in the past. She looked better now; no more puffy eyes and the color brightly shone on her stunning face.

My eyes were glued on her, admiring her beauty, her natural beauty. Completely loss in my own thoughts, I didn’t even notice Hyunseung waving his hands briskly right in front of my face, trying to get my attention.

Eyes still fixed on her; I noticed a figure approaching her, bending down to help her with the skates. I knew that person anywhere: muscular arms and dark brown spiked-up hair. It was none other than Mr. Yoon Doojoon. My lips quivered at the sight of happiness presented on both their faces excelled from the swarm of people gathered here.

“Yoseob,” Hyunseung whispered hoarsely knowing I could fall apart any moment now.

“Yoseob-ah!” Kikwang hollered, “I just saw-“

Hyunseung cut him off by signaling him to shut up.

“I know,” I affirmed, taking another glance at the oh-so-happy couple skating on the ice, fingers intertwined with eachother.

It was bad enough seeing Doojoon confess; now I have to see them together.

“Maybe we should leave now,” Hyunseung suggested.

Kikwang nodded, agreeing. “Let’s get the boys together and we can go.”

Just before we could take another step, however, a familiar voice spoke behind us. “Hyunseung-ah?”

Doojoon

All three of us whipped our heads back. We turned to see Doojoon and Hana, holding each other’s hands with questioning looks displayed on both their faces. I stared at the ground avoiding their eyes, a straight face concealing my damaged heart.

“Hello hyung,” Hyunseung greeted.

“Noona? Noona!” Kikwang cheered merrily, “I missed you! And all the ice cream you bought me!”

Hana chuckled, “I missed you too Kikwang! There’s an ice cream shop nearby, I’ll buy you one, okay?”

Kikwang nodded, a goofy grin plastering his face.

Doojoon awkwardly chortled and rubbed his neck, “So guys-“

“Hyunseung! Kikwang! Yoseob!” Junhyung and Dongwoon shouted, interrupting Doojoon, both stopping dead tracks when they spotted the couple.

“Doojoon! Hana! Wow, what a coincidence,” Dongwoon indicated, trying to hide the worry in his voice when he eyed me. I shrugged it off and resumed to stay fascinated by the ground, my heart drained with pain when I peeked at their laced fingers.

This was definitely not the highlight of my day.

 

Soon enough, we all found ourselves bunched in a booth at a restaurant a couple blocks over. I sat as far as I could from Hana still not taking my eyes away from my feet. I couldn’t face her, I couldn’t face them.

I remained silent while everyone else babbled on about Kikwang and his exercising habits. I was invisible, completely ignored by everyone who was all playing gleefully with Hana. I knew they all missed her, but the way I did was indescribable.

“Let’s go wash our hands before we eat! Wouldn’t want to get sick!” Hyunseung advised and everyone nodded, exiting the booth one-by-one to the restrooms. Unlike everyone else, I didn’t chug down my drink so I didn’t have to pee. I simply washed my hands and left the bathroom and the rest of the boys.

I strolled back to our suppose-to-be-empty booth but noticed Hana already seated and waiting for everyone else. Our eyes met for a split second, but I decided to turn away. An awkward silence swept by as I took my seat, tapping my fingers along on the table, waiting for someone, anyone, to come back.

Her phone went off in her purse and she instantly bent down to pull it out. Taking just one glance at her… something had caught my eye, something I never expected to see from her in a long time. Something that had taken me by surprise. Something no one could ever miss. Something that took me by the shoulders and viciously shook me.

It stayed there, dangling from her neck as she searched for her phone that was buried in her purse. It shimmered through the restaurants bright lights, the golden color glistening.

It stayed there, clear as day, staring straight at me.

…Our couple ring I had gotten her for our one-year anniversary.

~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Okay... here's the next chapter. Sorry it took litterally FOREVER to update! I've been busy with practices and games.

ENJOY~