Breaking Up

Unforgettable

 

I called Hana about a half hour ago, telling her to meet me in front of the café we had first met. Even though it was nearly freezing outside, she willingly agreed and met me there.

In the distance, I saw her, dressed in about a million sweaters (she hates the cold), her fluffy scarf she knitted up, all completed with her cute Hello Kitty earmuffs I gave her for her birthday. She sat on the railing of the patio, swinging her legs eagerly as she fiddled with the couple ring I gave her on her finger, a small smile playfully spread on her lips.

She looked incredibly cute, but no, I couldn’t be distracted. I called her here for one particular thing…

I needed to end it between us. Suddenly, within our 2 years, my feelings for her just… went away. I knew it was better to let her go, than to date her with no feelings for her at all.

She noticed me approaching and quickly hopped off the railing, running to me with her arms spread wide open. She nearly jumped on me and snugly wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling me close into a “hello hug”.

“Oppa I missed you!” she giggled and pecked my cold cheek. I softly smiled at her with apologetic eyes. “You want to get some coffee or something?” she asked and tugged me to the door, “I’m craving a hot chocolate right now.”

“A-actually, I came here to talk about some things with you,” I stated and took in a deep breath.

She let go of my arm and stood there staring at me, confused, and a little anxious to hear what I had to say. “What is it oppa?” she asked and blinked innocently at me.

This wasn’t easy for me to do; I’m not use to it, although somehow, I managed to finally say it. “I think we should break up,” I said, those words slipping out of my mouth easily.

Hana gasped as her eyes almost instantly enlarged at the words that had just escaped my lips. I knew she wouldn’t take this well. “W-what?” she asked, not wanting to believe what I said was real. I could see the tears loading up in her eyes as well as her trembling, plump lips. I could feel her heart breaking…

“I think we should break up,” I slowly repeated, clarifying it for her. “These past 2 years have been wonderful, one of the best experiences of my life, but I’m not really feeling anything between us anymore… I hope you understand,” I calmly expressed, attempting to make her feel better.

A single tear slowly trickled down her face; I could tell she was upset by how speechless she was.

Her eyes were locked with mine and I felt her small hand grab onto mine. “Y-Yoseob… please… please d-don’t. I-I love you. Please… don’t leave m-me,” she desperately cried as her grip around my hand tightened. “P-please,” she begged as another tear fell.

“I’m sorry Hana. I think it’s just for the best,” I stated and she let out another gasp.

Not knowing what to do next, I softly pecked her temple. “Goodbye Hana,” I finally said. I carefully pulled away from her, swiftly turned away, and left her, standing there in the cold, with tears probably splattering down her face by now.

I heard a few sniffles behind me and whispers of my name to come back, but I chose to ignore them.

 

I reached the end of the busy block with a satisfied smirk across my lips.

I am Yang Yoseob… and finally, I am free!

The fact lightened up my entire body. My thoughts were all filled with delight and thrill, but deep down, a small portion of my heart was filled with guilt and resentment. I was just too stubborn and ignorant to see it, feel it even.

Back then, I was so overjoyed, but at the time… I had no clue of what I was giving up. I had no clue of how much I’d regret it later…