Chapter 8

My Meteorite

I walked around and started my rounds. Princess had not awoken yet since the medication was administered. She would likely be up and about soon. I would see her last.

Despite the increase in patients, I wasn’t much busier. We can’t find the cause of disease with the patients that were rushed in four days. We’re all simply waiting for something to happen and there is nothing that we can do. I scoffed, so much for being doctors, yet there is nothing that we can do.

Dr. Kim walked towards me and planted himself in my path as he usually did.

“Go out with me Nari,” he said.

I rolled my eyes and replied, “No thanks I don’t think we have that much time.” I stepped away from him but heard his voice behind me, “Don’t you feel like there’s not enough time left. There’s so much sadness in the world, don’t you want to try to add some happiness.”

I stopped and called back, “I think it’ll only be you being happy in this case.”

After checking in on all my patients, I made my way to Princess. I looked at my watch and saw that I had 20 minutes before I had to go to a meeting with Professor Ji. After doing my usual checks, I sat down next to Princess and rested my head on my arms which I placed on her bed. I fell asleep and dreamed of someone my hair.

Suddenly I felt a hard tug on my hair and my eyes flew open. I heard a giggle and looked at the head of the bed. I smiled widely when I saw Princess’ eyes for the first time since she had been medicated. She reached out and patted my hair whilst simultaneously tugging at it.

My watch beeped to tell me that my meeting was in 2 minutes, I hurriedly sent a message to say that I would be late because I needed to do tests on Princess.

After doing some examinations on her, I was happy to find that Princess was on her way to being a completely healthy child. I was still going to keep her for another 3 days because she had been severely ill and I didn’t want to miss anything.

“Bye Princess I’ll see you later. Remember if you need anything just press the button next to you okay?” I said gently.

She nodded and her attention was given to a book.

Professor Ji asked, “Where will she go now that she is well?”

My eyes suddenly became wider with shock, I hadn’t thought about it. All I had been thinking about was that she had to get better, that I had to get the medication to her in time. Princess had no family, we don’t even know her real name. I panicked and started stuttering, “Uh.. she… well… um… you know…”. I swallowed, composed myself and said with false confidence, “She still can’t be discharged without a few days of observations. I’m sure that we can work something out in those few days.”