Chapter 14

My Meteorite

Kris walked as if he would break into a run, a sense of urgency was clearly present and due to his long legs, I had trouble keeping up. As we got closer to the room he seemed to slow down, confused I walked so that I was beside him. I cleared my throat, Whats wrong?

He didnt reply but he looked at me and his lips gave a quirk before his mask was put up again. He opened the door and held it open for me. I walked in, there were already 2 doctors checking various things. However, they all seemed to be ignoring the most important thing, the patient.

I walked over to Tzuyu who looked rather confused, I could see she wanted to ask questions but didnt want to seem rude. I gently touched her shoulder to get her attention, her head turned towards me.

She was beautiful, even when she had been in her coma one could see the elegance but now that she was awake there was a grace and a vibrant nature in her eyes. My name is Uhm Nari, I am a doctor. How are you feeling Miss Tzuyu?

The doctors, who were reading reports and checking the system, stopped as if to glare at me for disturbing them.

Im a bit thirsty. What has happened? Why am I here? Tzuyu looked at me wide-eyed and terribly muddled about the situation. Then she looked past me and at Kris, Gege? How did I get home? Did grandfather find out about me going to the Other side? She seemed anxious and clearly ill-informed of the happenings. Kris opened his mouth and closed his mouth at a loss as to what to say.

Miss Tzuyu, you may have a little water. Sips only, I instructed. Mmmm, this may come as a shock to you but you have been in a coma for 3 years. Nobody knew to counteract the drugs that you took. I continued to try to explain what had happened and what the plan was for her. At first Tzuyu was not very accepting of the circumstances but she then conceded and attempted to understand me. I could see that she was drowsy and allowed her to sleep. Once she was asleep, I informed the other doctors that they were to explain the situation to her when she woke again as it was likely that she wouldnt remember much of what I said.

 

You very good at it, Kris said to me suddenly. We had left Tzuyus room so that she could rest. Good at what? I stared at his eyes. Although he was rather expressionless at times, his eyes were intense and I somehow felt like I was constantly being tested or memorized. Being a doctor. You care for your patients, he seemed reluctant to expand on his thinking. Thank you, I took it as it was meant, a compliment.

I was startled when another voice from a darker corner said, Dr. Uhm. Yes?I replied tentatively. Your transport has been organized and will take you to an inconspicuous place within walking distance of your home. Oh right. Thank you.

I turned to Kris, I guess this is goodbye then? I raised my hand to wave at him. Kris smirked and moved closer till his lips were close to my ear, Well see, wont we?

I followed the man in the suit to the car.

As we were driving, I began to think about my putting this event behind me. I gasped, What about my job at the hospital? Before I could continue, the man sitting next to the driver replied, We have taken care of everything. You called in sick for yesterday and the rest of today. As far as we can see nobody came to check in on you. He then handed me a food package. Inside was a very well-made sandwich, some fruit and a delicious sweet drink.

We arrived at an abandoned store and we got out the car. The man who had answered my question, out his hand into his pocket and took out a fancy-looking envelope. Your compensation for healing the Miss. I shook my head, I didnt do this for money. I did it because this is what I do every day. You called in sick for me so I wont lose my job or money. You could have decided not to bring me back. I can see that its less than a 10-minute walk to my home. I was fed so I consider payment already done. The man appeared unsure as to what to do. He placed the envelope back into his pocket. I will let the family know of your decision. The man couldnt quite figure out the lady in front of him, she seemed harmless but he had orders to keep a closer eye on her.

 

I woke up the next day feeling refreshed and in a good mood. I had a quick shower and grabbed a slice of toast. I got to the hospital and smiled at familiar faces. I was truly home.

I went to look for Professor Ji and found him in his office, Hi Prof! He looked at my cheerful face and said, Im glad to see you in good health. Thank you. His face turned serious, You remember the patients that were all suddenly brought in? All of them have passed away. Most on the same day and almost literally within a few hours of each other. I was shocked. It seems as if I had missed a lot even though it was technically only two days. The cause is still unknown? I asked a bit shaken by the number of deaths. No leads but all of them recently got a job that they werent allowed to talk about. The families have also all received compensation. That means that they could possibly have all gone to the same place for the job. If they all got payments, then it cant possibly be a business on our side. Professor Ji sighed, the circles around his eyes were dark and the wrinkles on his face seemed to deepen. Yes. We assume that it is the Other side.

After speaking to Professor Ji, I walked around to get started on my rounds. I didnt want to think that it was the Other side. They had been kind to me despite kidnapping me at the start. An arm was flung over my shoulder, Good to have you back, an excited voice said. I looked at Jongin and I smiled. It was good to be back in the familiar life.

To celebrate your health returning, go out with me again, he said easily. I nodded at his request, Im feeling for meat this week. Friday night. I want to hear you play again. Im ready to learn.  These 2 days had me missing home and the familiar too much, I even missed Jongin.

Im looking forward to this weekend then! I think I know the perfect place to go to if thats okay with you, the other male doctor said.

Nari nodded with her characteristic smile on her face.

Kris clicked the exit button angrily. He couldnt get her out of his head, he needed to see her again. Uhm Nari had captured his attention once again like no other girl had. Nari had said that she didnt have a boyfriend so who was this doctor? What place did he have in her heart? Was he a threat? Why couldnt this one thing have been easy in his life?