Chapter 15

My Meteorite

 Hahahaha, I laughed. I dont know why you are laughing at my previous misfortune? Jongin said with a pout. You cant handle spicy fried chicken, with tears running down my face. I watched as Jongin flipped the beef strips and handed me the pieces that were done.

Like I said, Ive been traumatised since that time I was young. Nobody told me that it would be that spicy! He was indignant but there was something childlike in his manner. But dunking your whole head into a basin of milk is a bit extreme, dont you think? He looked at me and glared before smiling. I like seeing you laugh. His honest admission made me blush.

We stayed till late and Jongin walked me home. We chatted and I realised that I truly enjoyed being with him. He made me laugh and smile all the time. It made me giddy.

I will leave you at the door then, he said gentlemanly. As I got in I waved at him and he waved back.

I set my things into their respective places, my coat by the door, my shoes off and I switched on the sitting room lights before switching off the reception light. I went and got myself a glass of water and sat down to do some light reading.

I was disturbed from my reading by a light knock at the door. I checked the time, it was 11 oclock. Who would be visiting at this hour? I went to the door and peeped to see who it was. The person was tall and wore a dark coat with a hoodie. Who is it? I called out. The hood was pulled back to reveal a handsome face. I stared for a moment before recognizing it as Kris.

I opened the door slightly, What do you want?

He smiled secretively. I told you it wasnt really goodbye. I bring a peace offering. He held up a picnic basket and showed me a large flask, some crackers, fruit and other snacks. Keen to go adventuring?

Kris! Its late! I cant possibly go out now. Although I was saying no, the smile on my face gave me away. He held out his hand. I need to put on shoes and stuff. Okay, Ill wait here for you. Put on shoes that you can walk in.

I closed the door, put on my shoes and took my coat off the rack. I opened the door to find Kris standing further away than before. Come on. He grabbed my hand and dragged me further along the street till we got to a small trail that led up to the mountain.

Do you trust me? he whispered. I paused for a moment. Yes. He switched on his torch but instead of following the trail, he veered off and we continued to hike for a short while longer. We finally stopped at a clearing-like place which was not as high as reaching the top of the mountain.

He let go of my hand and proceeded to set up the blanket and put out the food. We sat down. Do you want to see something spectacular? He asked. I nodded. Close your eyes. I did as he told me to. I felt Kris switch off the torch and it seemed darker. Open your eyes. There were fireflies all around. They danced and glowed wherever they went. Im not sure why but they Ive only ever seen them here. We continued to talk about other things, I told him about my day and about Princess, and some time in between we devoured the food that he brought. We stayed up till sunrise and watch as the colours seemed to be painted onto the sky.

He took me home and as I reached my door, I found that I didnt want him to leave. Being with him was different and familiar at the same time.

Arent you glad that you are off tomorrow? Kris asked suddenly with a mischievous look. How did you know that? I asked. That would be telling, he said while leaning towards me. Ill see you around, he said softly by my ear.

From that day, it became a bit of a common occurrence for him to visit late at night and almost always before a day that I had off.

We had a small misunderstanding the one time. I had thought that Tzuyu was Kriss fiancée or wife so I wasnt keen on being his mistress as I saw it. Im not going to be your affair. I dont think you should do that to Tzuyu! I said angrily. It was the first time I heard him laugh. You think that Tzuyu and I? He continued to laugh. I didnt appreciate being laughed at and demanded that he explain himself. He smiled, Tzuyus not my romantic anything. Shes my sister. That was clearly a rather awkward day.

He once brought a small bunch of small purple flowers with a lighter purple on the inside. They seemed to glimmer at night. These flowers are like you. In the darkest of times, you seem to bring with you a shine.

Somehow, we stayed in our little bubble of contentment.

On our 6 month anniversary of visits, Kris took me back to the clearing that we first visited. Kris was telling me about his day and what work he was overseeing. The Parks have always enjoyed investing in experimentation and research, like this brain project and space, meteorites especially, which is why Chanyeol and I became such close friends. Kris explained to me. There was a special look in his eyes as he started divulging the secrets of the universe to me. As he described the various stars to me and what their names meant, how they were discovered, who found them, he became increasingly animated. I could see a young boy getting excited over learning all of these facts. I wondered who he shared this love with, his father or his mother.

He continued to speak but I think he noticed my lack of input and turned to look at me. I apologize I seem to have been carried away.

No no! I really am learning so much. Please dont stop. Im a bit embarrassed by my lack of knowledge so I cant really say much, I desperately tried to explain despite him telling me so much I still liked hearing him speak. I wanted to see more of this Kris. The happy one. The one who didnt seem burdened by the past. Some days when he visited, he seemed weighed down by something that he couldnt share. He continued to show me the different constellations and talking about far away galaxies. The way his eyes brightened like the stars told me just how much he loved this stretch of sky and beyond it.

He smiled at me tenderly and gently my cheek. He continued in a softer tone, A meteor burns away as it approaches the atmosphere so usually it doesnt hit Earths surface. It causes the phenomenon known as a shooting star. Theyre quite beautiful to see and rare in many ways, perhaps more importantly they are unique, no rock, metal or dust is the same or of the same composition. He stopped talking and then stared right at me, Dont be a meteor please. Id rather you be my meteorite, entering and landing on Earth.

I kept on replaying his words in my head. My meteorite. I kept hearing him say that to me. I the necklace around my neck. He had given it to me before he had to go. It was a remnant of one of the meteorites that had caused the Split.

Youre looking much better these days, Professor Ji said to me. Somebody must be keeping you happy. I dont think I have ever seen you so well rested so many days in a row.

I blushed and smiled. Kris had somehow healed me a little. I had had no nightmares since he visited me. I looked forward to his rather spontaneous visits, he always had something witty to say or an interesting story to tell. I especially enjoyed the times hed sneak me to the Other side. Not because it was more luxurious but because it was a whole other world that I had never explored before.

I saw Jongin walk towards me and I waved my hand at him in greeting. He stopped in front of me and asked, Can we go for a quick cup of coffee at the cafeteria? 

Sure, I havent seen you much. Where have you been? I asked. The first few times had me worried but then he would always come back. We went down to the cafeteria and he found a more secluded spot.

I started to prattle a bit about my day and so forth before I noticed that he looked for serious than usual. Whats wrong Jongin?

I know what you did. I can guess how you did it too. I mean anyone with some medical background could probably do it. I suppose nobody suspected you because you dont seem like the type to ever break the rules, he said quietly.

His eyes wandered around then focussed on me, Are you doing this to get out of this place, Nari? His eyes implored to give him the answer he wanted, he continued, You dont have to want to leave, you can be happy here.

I dont know what youre talking about Jongin. I was confused, he seemed so certain that I had done something wrong but I couldnt figure out what.

I know about Kris Wu.

I heard my heart beat and then almost stop. There was a feeling of complete shock before a fear clawed its way up to my mouth.

Did you save him because you wanted out? Are you with him now because you want out? Uhm Nari. Tell me.

The desperate plea in his voice made my heart waver, Its not like that, I tried to find some courage or inspiration about how to continue, I dont know why but I truly care for him and I want to be with him. I hoped that my feelings could be understood on some level by him.

Dont do this Nari. My heart sank, I couldnt possibly make him understand. We were all so damaged by the pain and poverty that we are surrounded with that we will never be at peace with the wealthy. Or so I thought was the problem. I can do it too. I can save you and take you to the Other side if thats what you want. I looked at his face, he couldnt be serious. I didnt want that but there wouldnt be a way unless unless he was never from here unless he was from the Other side.