Chapter 5

My Meteorite

Kris sighed, being on bedrest was taking its toll on him. Being bored was not something he enjoyed.

“Kris, stop looking so petulant. You are no longer a child,” Grandfather said as he walked into Kris’s room.

Kris looked up at him and replied, “If I am going to be treated as a child then I will act like one.”

Grandfather chuckled in response and said, “You were always like that as a child. You would act even more childish if someone babied you, but you grew up a lot especially when your little sister was born. She would ha–.”

“I don’t want to hear anymore please,” Kris cut in quietly with an underlying coldness.

Grandfather’s gaze turned sad then hard, “Yes we should look to the future; we don’t know what it will bring.”

Kris looked out the window at the beautiful green garden that was being tended to by a slightly older gentleman. “How is the deal going with the Parks? I hear that the project is a go,” Kris asked trying to start conversation and clear the awkwardness that had set in.

“Yes the project will be continuing and we will start recruiting in a weeks’ time. The Parks have agreed to our conditions and will be using our facilities,” Grandfather answered.

“I suppose I will be required to oversee this project,” Kris said, “Are you sure that this will work? I don’t think we should continue with this pursuit anymore if it doesn’t give the results that we want.”

Grandfather stared at Kris hard and replied, “Yes you will be overlooking the team. We must still discuss why you were in the rebels’ area.”

Kris turned to look at Grandfather and said, “I don’t see why I must answer your question when you side step mine.”

Grandfather nodded his head slowly in acceptance and moved on to question, “Will you see your parents? They have been asking to meet with you.”

“There is no need for me to see them. I have nothing to say to them.”

“Yi Fan – ” Grandfather began.

“Don’t call me by that name,” Kris barked out. He knew that he was trying Grandfather’s patience but Kris hated to speak about the past or be reminded of the past.

“Kris, desist in this behaviour. I expect you to be better by tomorrow. The doctor has said that you will be allowed to do non-stressful tasks starting tomorrow. You will be joining your entire family for dinner next week,” Grandfather commanded firmly before leaving.

“He always tries so hard,” Kris whispered then snorted, “As if that will change anything now, what’s done is done and nothing will ever undo the damage from all those days.”

Suddenly the green garden that he had considered beautiful moments ago became yet another reminder of the things that he had lost. Losing love is much the same as gaining it, you receive a new pair of glasses however instead of it being rose-tinted it makes everything dull.