Chapter 7

My Meteorite

Kris sighed and looked around his office. He clicked his tongue while typing in his password. A security pop-up appeared, “Are you sure you want to do this?” He pressed enter and a second message popped up, “You are now in a secured network. However, you may still be tracked.” After some typing, camera screens appeared. His eyes tracked the various small screens before stopping at one. It enlarged and filled the big screen.

People were running around and patients filled the beds with others being placed on temporary beds. Various people were running around and one or two people raised their voices to direct others.

Two people were sitting away from the bustle and were talking, one in a doctor’s coat and another man dressed in civilian clothing.

Sounds of typing occurred again, before the camera zoomed in on the two people and the conversation could be heard.

“Can you tell me why your sister is like this?” the female doctor, now identifiable as Dr. Uhm.

The man looked down, “I don’t know. Four days ago, she came home really excited. She said she had managed to find a job that was decently paid and we would be able to live comfortably for a while.” He held his head in his hands and continued, “I lost my job 3 months ago and we’ve been living a harder life than usual.”

A nurse ran over to the two and turned to the doctor, “Dr. Uhm, some of the patients are in shock. Dr. Kim has also reported that some of his patients have decreased brain activity.”

“I understand, thank you Nurse Lee,” Dr. Uhm said with a small smile. She looked at the man again and said, “I’m really sorry, I would really like to get some more information from you regarding the patient.”

“I’ll be in to see Hana some time,” the man said.

“Your name is sir?” she asked him.

“Xiumin,” the man said before standing up and leaving.

 

A knock broke Kris’ concentration from the screen. A quick tap on the keyboard, changed the screen to some official looking document.

Kris cleared his voice and said, “Come in.”

“Young master, the Kim family have arrived and your presence is required in the foyer,” a formally dressed man said while holding the door open.

Kris nodded to indicate that he had heard. The man closed the door and left. Kris stood up and walked over to a wall and stood before it. A mirror appeared, he smoothed out creases and his hair before leaving the room.

As soon as Kris arrived in the foyer, Grandfather said congenially, “Ah! There he is, shall we move this conversation to the formal lounge.”

Kris bowed and greeted the guests, the two Kim sons and the father. He indicated with his arm the direction they should walk in.

After everyone sat down and refreshments were brought in, small talk died down.

Kim Min Chae, the elder Kim, folded his hands and in a grave voice said, “Our research with the Park Industry has hit a wall. We are unable to find a definite way to continue our study.  A lot of the experiments had side effects that we couldn’t get rid of.”

Kris tuned out the rest of the conversation. Although Kris headed interaction with the Parks’ team, it wasn’t that he had any real power to make decisions. Plus he had already known they were unsuccessful, what they were trying to do was just too crazy, messing with the brain was bound to be difficult.

“Yes, I am sure that Kris won’t mind and can take on communications with you,” Grandfather commanded, realising that Kris wasn’t concentrating.

Hearing his name, Kris had returned to the conversation, inclining his head and he answered, “If that is what Grandfather wants and the Kim family do not mind, I have no objections.” Hoping that that was the correct response to give.

Min Chae clapped his hands and said, “That will be perfect. My eldest son, Kim Jun-Myeon is heading the communications on my side so the younger generations can work together. We need to foster good relations between all our families.”

Everyone nodded in consent and talk turned towards other topics before long the Kim family made excuses to leave.

Once they had left, grandfather and grandson turned to each other and Kris said, “Grandfather, we should pull out. There is mote point. It’s only been a week and already there are too many problems. If people find out - .”

Grandfather cut in, “People won’t. They will cover it up and nobody will ever know.” He sighed and a look of tiredness appeared and said, “You should go visit Tzuyu, the doctors are certain that the disease she contracted is from the other side. There is nothing that they can do for her.”

Kris stood stiffly. He looked straight ahead and left. People would find out eventually, it would blow up and history would repeat itself.