chapter nine.

Hopeless Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyuk called me out a few weeks later, asking me to meet him at the nearby cafe where we frequent. His favourite waffles were sold there. I got there earlier just to queue for them, in case they sold out early that day. I had just gotten the last waffle of the day and gotten back to my table when Joohyuk arrived.

"Hey, Fumbles." He called me meekly before heading over to my direction.

I smiled at him, beckoning him over and pointed to the dessert. "Hey, Joo."

He sat down and I handed him a set of knife and fork. He took them, positioning them at the waffle and took his first bite. He moaned in bliss, nodding his head at the deliciousness. He cut off a piece, wanting to feed it to me. I took the fork myself, instead of letting him feed me.

"It's good, no wonder you loved them."

I looked up and saw him frowning at me. My brows met as I gave him a confused gaze.

"What is it?"

He sighed, "You used to let me feed you."

"Ah." I had nothing to say. Things have indeed become a little weird between us. I have no idea how, but it just did. "I didn't want anyone to misunderstand you."

"No one's here to do that," he whispered softly.

Silence enveloped us as he took another bite. He chewed, "How did you know I loved this store's waffles? The queue is always so long, the waffles always run out before my turn."

I just smiled at him, stirring my drink.

"I'm your best friend, of course I know."

I've always been looking at you, but you never noticed me.

"We never had these silences before," Joohyuk blurted. "What happened to us?"

I shrugged, shaking my head, "I don't know."

"Where's Ji?" Joohyuk asked. "You guys seemed to be awfully close nowadays."

"Well, he did say he want to woo me. He's been trying." I chuckled at the memory. "He's at his sports training. He'll join us back at the dorm for movie night later on."

"He's trying to woo you?" I could hear the surprise in his voice. "He likes you?"

An urge of wanting to see if Joohyuk would be jealous, I nodded. "He does. Well, he did say that."

Joohyuk just nodded and turned his attention back to his waffles. I wasn't able to gauge his reaction because it went as quickly as it came. I didn't know what he was thinking. Shaking my head, I just smiled to myself and sipped on my drink.

 

There was a little jingle from the bell attached to the top of the door to the cafe, it rang every time someone came in. By instinct, I looked up and saw Sungkyung at the door. I tried to hide my face, I didn't want her to see me. But she must have recognised Joohyuk's back.

She walked towards our table, I tapped Joo's hand. He glanced up at me, before seeing my brows meeting. He understood my signal and turned, smiling at Sungkyung.

"Hey baby," he greeted and she bent down to kiss him on his cheek.

I didn't look at them, but I could feel her gaze on the top of my head. I shook the feeling away. sipping on my drinks. I heard hushed whispers and the dragging of chairs could be heard. 

"Mi," Joohyuk called. "I have to go. There's somewhere I need to be at. I'll call you when I'm done."

I just nodded, giving him a grin. "Be safe."

"I will," he got his stuff. Sungkyung was waiting for him at the cafe's door.

Before he left my table, he leaned forward and quickly pecked my crown.

"You do know that even if I have a girlfriend now, I won't ever forget you, right?" He whispered next to my ear, making my heart still. "You won't forget me, right?"

I shook my head and he ruffled my hair. I waved goodbye to him, watching him disappear into the crowd. Many thoughts rushed through my mind as I saw him go. I closed my eyes, lying back against the chair.

As if the coast could forget the ocean. As if the lung could forget a breat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter