Hoseok

Single Dads

I never wanted to be a parent.

I decided at a young age that I would be the eternal bachelor. No wife, no kids, no real responsibilities. I came from a rich family, so everything in my life was paid for already. I was a chaebol who had no cares in the world.

My favorite place was the club. The loud music, the drinking, the dancing, the semi-anonymous in the bathroom. It was exactly what I wanted for the rest of my life.

That all changed with one simple mistake.

I came home from the club around 6am one day and found a very attractive girl sitting in front of my door. I didn’t remember her, but damn were her proportions on point. I would have tapped that in a heartbeat. 

The girl stood up, picked up the baby carrier next to her, explained that I knocked her up at the club and it took her this long to track me down. She handed me a diaper bag and the baby and walked away.

I didn’t remember ever meeting this girl before, much less sleeping with her, but a DNA test proved that Jiseok was indeed my son. 

His mother gave me her contact information in case I ever needed anything, but I realized quickly that she had no intention of being a part of our son’s life. The emails always came back to me unreceived and the phone number was disconnected. I had his birth certificate, but her name wasn’t even on it. I had no idea who she was or how I could ever find her again. The only thing I knew about her is that she gave my son half of her DNA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 years later

“You remember what you have to do, right Jiseokkie?” I asked my son as I eyed the nice piece of working behind the counter at the cafe. 

“Of course appa!” he said, smiling brightly. I kissed his forehead and nudged him on his way.

Jiseok quickly made his way up towards the counter when he suddenly tripped and fell. The waterworks began to flow seamlessly and he sat on the ground, waiting for help.

“Omo!” the gorgeous girl said as she came around the counter to help my 4 year old son out, “Are you okay??” she looked around nervously, “Where are your parents?”

…That’s my cue!!!

“OH MY GOSH!! JISEOK!!!” I said as I rushed to his side, “Are you okay? I’ve told you not to run off like that!!” I helped my son up and looked at the girl, “I’m so sorry.” I smiled.

“Is this your son?” she asked kindly.

I nodded, “I’m so sorry he bothered you while you were working. He really is a fast runner, maybe I should start him in sports soon,” I laughed…or maybe he could become a child star with his incredible acting skills... “He can be a real handful sometimes…” I looked at the girl to gauge her reaction. Her features softened slightly and I knew I had her in the palm of my hand. “…Especially when I’m raising him by myself.”

“Omo!” the girl exclaimed, “That must be so hard for you!!”

“It’s not too bad,” I said ruffling Jiseok’s hair, “I love him more than life itself. Just having my son makes me the happiest man alive.”

“That’s so sweet!” she exclaimed.

Hook, line, and sinker! 

“Are you okay Jiseok?” I turned as I asked my son.

He nodded and wiped his nose in the most adorable way I could have ever taught him.

“Daddy’s gonna buy you a milkshake to make it all better…how does that sound?” I asked him playfully.

He nodded excitedly and the girl returned behind the counter.

“How does chocolate sound?” she asked Jiseok in a childish voice…I wonder what her voice sounds like in a more…mature situation?

“Can I have sprinkles too?” He asked wide eyed, “The rainbow ones??”

She chuckled at him, “Of course you can sweetie.”

I went to hand her my credit card, but she shook her head.

“It’s on the house,” she grabbed a pen and wrote her number on my hand, “Call me if you ever have a night off from being a busy dad.” She winked and handed Jiseok the milkshake.

I immediately added the number to my phone and rubbed the ink off my hand.

“The sprinkles were a nice touch,” I told Jiseok as we left the cafe.

“I only did what I thought you would have done appa!” He said smiling, “I went for exactly what I wanted and got it!”

I rubbed his head again and helped him into our car.

“Did you get the nice lady’s phone number appa?” he asked innocently, talking a loud sip of his milkshake.

“I sure did son,” I replied happily, “It looks like we both got what wanted.”

“Appa, just because I got a milkshake AND sprinkles doesn’t mean you don’t still owe me 5 dollars…” my son said as he held out his free hand impatiently.

‘Yup,’ I thought to myself as I pulled out my wallet to pay Jiseok for lending me his acting skills, ‘he is definitely my kid…’